Von Schweikert VR2's- Thoughts [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Von Schweikert VR2's- Thoughts

thekid
06-16-2012, 05:06 PM
I will be picking up a pair of Von Schweikert VR-2's tomorrow.
Wondering if anyone here has any experience with them??

Hyfi
06-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Congrats! My Clearfields are VRs and if my early 90s speakers are any indication, you should be quite happy with the right components. I hope you like midrange.

JohnMichael
06-16-2012, 05:40 PM
LSA Audio Group (http://thelsagroup.com/)

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab OML-2 Loudspeakers (10/2004) (http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/mfsl_oml2.htm)

http://www.vonschweikert.com/techspecs/documents/AVGuide_VR2_Review_Jun03.pdf

I started a post one time about my OML1's which were the stand mount version of the OML2's. I was curious as why three different manufactures offered similar products with their own little tweaks.

My experience with the OML1's other than deep bass the tower would share some of the same characteristics. The speakers do musical flow better than my very dynamic MA RS6's. They use the same tweeter and mid-driver. When I bought the OML1's I thought about the 2's but they were only 84db efficient. Since I did not have the Krell yet and was using an Onkyo Class D integrated.

Since all three speakers were made in China and using the same drivers I think the differences are in crossovers. MFSL claim they use a simple crossover and are bi-wireable. VR2's uses their crossover ideas and are bi-wired. They clain an efficiency of 87db. The LSA2's are bi-wireable and are rated to be 88 db efficient.

I guess that is a long way to say I think you will be very pleased. I still find it interesting that three companies brought out almost the same speaker. I think it is because it is that good a design.

frenchmon
06-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Congrats on the new speakers. There is great joy and excitement in getting new audio gear. Please share with us your thoughts on the new speakers.

thekid
06-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Well I have been putting them through their paces for about 3 hours now.
Very impressive so far!!

A lot of my other speakers play certain types of music well but are limited but these have handled everything that I have thrown at them so far. Vocals are extremely clear - most likely because these handle the mids so well. The Bass goes lower than any speaker I have heard and appears to reach subwoofer like levels at times. What I was able to read about them in reviews seems dead on in describing them.

My placement of them is not quite optimum but even still they image very well and they fill the room with sound. Music just seems to appear in front of you when sitting between them.

JoeE SP9
06-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Ya think they may be keepers?:D

thekid
06-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Ya think they may be keepers?:D

I think so.
If for no other reason than when my wife saw them her first comment was "I like them they are so thin"... :D

I put in her favorite Lady Gaga CD and cranked them up. When the music dropped her next comment was "Oh my God those are good!!!!!"

JohnMichael
06-17-2012, 06:43 PM
You should enjoy those speakers for a number of years. I agree that my speakers let whatever music you are playing shine through. Enjoy and let us know how they improve and when you find the sweet spot for them.

thekid
06-19-2012, 03:09 PM
I had been running them with my Sony ES for the past couple of days and was very impressed with them. Switched them this morning to my Adcom set-up and the overall sound just went up a notch. Started out with Nick Drake and they really excelled on their presentation of guitar and vocals. Switched over to some Talking Heads and the house is now rocking!!!!! :D

TheHills44060
06-19-2012, 04:26 PM
thekid pleeeease post some pics of the VR's if yo get the chance!

thekid
06-19-2012, 06:38 PM
thekid pleeeease post some pics of the VR's if yo get the chance!

I will try but since they changed the format of AudioReview about a year ago I have been unable to post pics.

Hyfi
06-20-2012, 02:56 AM
I had been running them with my Sony ES for the past couple of days and was very impressed with them. Switched them this morning to my Adcom set-up and the overall sound just went up a notch. Started out with Nick Drake and they really excelled on their presentation of guitar and vocals. Switched over to some Talking Heads and the house is now rocking!!!!! :D

Just wait till you start running them with something a step up from the Adcom. VRs have some of the best mids I have heard. My VR Clearfields don't have the bass that yours do by a long shot. I would love to hear them in my house.

When I first happened upon mine, I already had Dynaudio 82s running and tried to sell them since they were too big and lacked the bass of the Danes. I couldn't get $500 for them at the time, let alone a offer. The more I listened to them, the more both my wife and I loved them with the associated gear I got them with. My 82s sit in the dining room corner collecting dust 10 out of 12 months now.

Enjoy!

thekid
06-21-2012, 01:40 AM
Here are some pics of the VR-2's as well as my listening room.
Hopefully some of you will be able to see them if they upload.

JoeE SP9
06-21-2012, 12:21 PM
I can't see the pictures. Maybe a moderator can tell me why.

frenchmon
06-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I can see them just fine. Detail is lacking but I can see. Nice music Rm Kid!

thekid
06-21-2012, 05:55 PM
I can't see the pictures. Maybe a moderator can tell me why.

Well here is a link to the other site where I don't have problems posting pics.....

Pics of your listening space - Page 662 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=5809288#post5809288)