Portugal. The Man. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Portugal. The Man.

ForeverAutumn
06-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know this band? Has there been chatter here that I've missed?

They're in the timeslot between Of Montreal and The Flaming Lips at NXNE tomorrow night, so I went to YouTube to check them out and they sound pretty good. I can see why they got this time slot, they are very Flaming Lippy with maybe a splash of Mercury Rev.

If you don't know this band and you're a fan of the TFL and that sound, you should check them out. I'm very interested to see them tomorrow after watching a couple of videos. It should be a great show! Hopefully the crowd won't be overpowering and we can get a spot in front of the stage (we had to stand behind the stage for Iggy Pop, two years ago).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GGDQOECShw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr MidFi
06-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I had a chance to see PtM at Lolla last year, but opted for Flogging Molly and Cage the Elephant instead. I hear their set was pretty decent, but I had lots of drunken, sweaty fun. Imagine that.

Sad fact: all of their gear was stolen immediately after that gig. It made all the local papers.

ForeverAutumn
06-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Really? Drunken sweaty fun? You? I just can't picture that. :wink5:

I hope to have some sweaty fun tomorrow night, but being in a very public and open venue, there will be no legal liquor sales or open drinking. Although pot is legal here. :thumbsup: But I don't do that **** anymore.

Jack in Wilmington
06-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Checking to see if you're OK FA. Saw the story when I got home.
You can be sure we are all worried about you.

ForeverAutumn
06-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks Jack. I appreciate that. I'm fine. The Radiohead show was a different venue than the one I was at tonight. I just got home, so I haven't seen the recent news and don't know any of the current details, but my understanding was that the stage collapse was before the gates opened so there weren't any patrons in the park, only staff. I guess it's lucky that more people weren't hurt or killed. But still tragic that even one life was lost. :(

Jack in Wilmington
06-17-2012, 05:21 AM
Thanks Jack. I appreciate that. I'm fine. The Radiohead show was a different venue than the one I was at tonight. I just got home, so I haven't seen the recent news and don't know any of the current details, but my understanding was that the stage collapse was before the gates opened so there weren't any patrons in the park, only staff. I guess it's lucky that more people weren't hurt or killed. But still tragic that even one life was lost. :(

That's great to hear. So your show went on as planned? The news just said the concert was cancelled, I guess they just meant at the Radiohead venue. Well the main thing is that you're fine.

ForeverAutumn
06-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Yes, the Flaming Lips show went on as planned. The venues are at different ends of the city and the stage for The Flaming Lips is a permanent fixture. I think that the only difference is that it was probably more crowded as I'm sure that many of the Radiohead fans ventured downtown to see TFL instead, since it was free.

The frontman for TFL did acknowledge the tragedy at the Radiohead show, welcomed their fans, and then they went into a cover of Radiohead's Knives Out.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yLWe9OM_Buc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_PRG_xzmpSQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>