Prometheus (2012) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus (2012)

Feanor
06-15-2012, 04:54 AM
This is another film from the great sci-fi director, Ridley Scott. The Prometheus premise is that Earthly human beings were brought here by alien proto-humans and, (not to be too much of a spoiler), the monsters of the Alien franchise came from the same source.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SH8VgTpXIy8/TYoNbHmHl3I/AAAAAAAAAQA/tPzpBrp9PLI/s748/Prometheus%2BLogo.jpg

This would be an OK movie it weren't so derivative.

For a start is the tediously offensive, worn, and idiotic notion, (never suggested in Alien), that human kind evolved somewhere other than Earth. that human kind evolved somewhere other than Earth.

Worse, characters and plot devices are deja vu all over again from the originally Alien movie, (also directed by Ridley Scott, though subsequent franchise flicks were not).

Where it not for these aspects I'd give this 3.5/5 stars, but since they are there, 3/5*

Worf101
06-15-2012, 06:15 AM
A couple of things kay. I know you're smart so you do know this is the "prequel" to the original Ridley Scott film. Any subsequent changes and revelations in the plot from "Aliens" on up haven't happened yet. Was the film entertaining at all?

Worf

Feanor
06-15-2012, 11:38 AM
A couple of things kay. I know you're smart so you do know this is the "prequel" to the original Ridley Scott film. Any subsequent changes and revelations in the plot from "Aliens" on up haven't happened yet. Was the film entertaining at all?

Worf
Indeed I know Prometheus was a "prequel" and I kinda sorta said that.

Yes, the film was entertaining. A person who had never seen Alien might find it quite entertaining, say 3.5/5* as I said. To me some of the situations and most of the characters of Prometheus were too stereotypically like the those of the original, i.e. post-prequel, Alien, so I rated it down to 3/5*. In any case Alien was much better, say, 4.5/5*.

LeRoy
06-15-2012, 12:30 PM
I saw the movie over the weekend, IMAX 3-D, $14.00/ticket....ouch!! I enjoyed it because it was 3D and Noomi Rapce ( I love her) was the main attraction for me. If I had not seen it in 3D I would have been upset. Bill, I agree with you 3.5 rating.... Ridley applied too many ideas borrowed from so many prior sci-fi flicks.

Feanor
06-15-2012, 05:50 PM
I saw the movie over the weekend, IMAX 3-D, $14.00/ticket....ouch!! I enjoyed it because it was 3D and Noomi Rapce ( I love her) was the main attraction for me. If I had not seen it in 3D I would have been upset. Bill, I agree with you 3.5 rating.... Ridley applied too many ideas borrowed from so many prior sci-fi flicks.
Yeah, I saw it in IMAX 3D as well. Steep ticket prices but my wife & daughter wanted it in 3D. It was good, but didn't add as much as for Avatar.

RGA
06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
I enjoyed this movie a fair bit more than you guys. Perhaps because you told me it was basically an Aliens prequel I watched the movie on that level.

Liked the 3D this time. Hong Kong is somewhat annoying - they post that you can see the film in 2d or 3d. The girl I went with has been sick on previous 3d movies. We get there and they say - the 2D version is only available in the V.I.P lounge. Yes they have a V.I.P section where you pay about $23 for a ticket. Umm no. But they ALSO have a third even more special lounge on top of that. I should have asked the price.

Nice racket - you have to pay more to watch it in 2D. So we went to the 3D version $15 Cad and fortunately she was alright this time.

The 3D was much better than usual. Still I find it somewhat dumb that such an advanced race would be so brutal. Further the entire storyline was lifted from Star Trek TNG which was largely inspired by Sagan's "Contact". The Chase (episode) - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Chase_%28episode%29)

Hollywood is too afraid to do something that inspires or makes people think about the origins of life - they have to turn it into a gore fest slasher film in space. I would much rather something like that Star Trek episode where it's man kind that gets a lesson from Aliens on humanity.

I say I liked it more because as an action special effects romp and the fact that I liked Alien and Aliens - this one sits beside those two as a nice threesome - (I'll forget part 3 and 4 and the alien vs predator movies as not being in existence).

RGA
06-26-2012, 02:51 AM
Was anyone else impressed by the sound in this movie. At the beginning of it before it actually starts they do that sound check thing like THX - but to me this was way better than THX. Didi anyone catch the name of the technology? I liked my seat shaking and panning effects seemed better than anything I've heard in recent years at the movies.

Feanor
06-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Was anyone else impressed by the sound in this movie. At the beginning of it before it actually starts they do that sound check thing like THX - but to me this was way better than THX. Didi anyone catch the name of the technology? I liked my seat shaking and panning effects seemed better than anything I've heard in recent years at the movies.
Unfortunately when I'm in the theatre my attention tends be fixed on the plot and visuals. Theatre systems tend to sound inferior to my HT, especially the resolution -- not to mention that the sound tracks are usually played too loud and Prometheus was no exception.

RGA
06-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I think the theaters here are often better - they're not played nearly as loud and I like the seat selection row G seat 12 etc. Then there isn't a big line stampeding for the best seats.

The sound impressed me - before the movie actually started and during. I too usually only pay attention to the plot. The last time I remember being really impressed in the theater for sound and special effects was Terminator 2.