Art Dudley on single ended triode amps [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Art Dudley on single ended triode amps

Poultrygeist
06-14-2012, 03:09 PM
"At it's best SET sound has the kind of punch that will startle you out of your pants plus real musical drive, momentum, presence and tone"

I can't vouch for this as I only listen to the 2a3 in my shorts.:lol:

E-Stat
06-15-2012, 06:07 AM
"At it's best SET sound has the kind of punch that will startle you out of your pants plus real musical drive, momentum, presence and tone"
He also agrees with many regarding the value of aftermarket power cords. That amused the guys over at Hydrogen Audio to no end. :)

"Power cords from JPS Labs have made startling improvements—small improvements, but startling in that they should exist at all—especially their expensive Aluminata line, although their much cheaper Digital AC cords remain a genuinely good value. "

Listening 96 (http://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-96)

JoeE SP9
06-15-2012, 08:27 AM
If I could afford some SET's capable of driving my esl's I'd already have them.

The guys at Hydrogen Audio amuse me to no end.

It's been my experience that those who worship at the alter of specs usually have the worst most "God awful" sounding systems I've ever heard. They assault ones ears with that "noise" while touting the super low distortion of their electronics. Many of them have the bizarre and mistaken belief that an equalizer can make an inexpensive speaker sound like something much better. Not!

E-Stat
06-15-2012, 08:58 AM
If I could afford some SET's capable of driving my esl's I'd already have them.
I find that push pull triodes do a pretty good job. :)

The guys at Hydrogen Audio amuse me to no end.
Their op amp mentality suits them fine.

Hyfi
06-16-2012, 05:21 PM

I can't vouch for this as I only listen to the 2a3 in my shorts.:lol:

And here is what he says about speaker cables, that can't make a change in the sound

""Differences between the speaker cables struck me as more distinct: Going from the Heimdalls to the Valhallas was like turning the Music knob clockwise: The Heimdalls gave me a lot, the Valhallas even more. ""

Nordost Heimdall interconnect & speaker cable | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/cables/1006nordost/index.html)

Poultrygeist
06-16-2012, 06:52 PM
I posted this as I thought it was funny. We don't need Art to tell us what's a fore gone conclusion.