Transport mechanisms - what is really inside... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Transport mechanisms - what is really inside...

RGA
06-09-2012, 05:49 PM
This is an interesting article on Transports. You get to see some of the different kinds of transports and what you a really paying of in the expensive ones from the likes of Wadia and others.

His commentary on sound is somewhat biased because he is in the business of selling CD players but on the actual parts used it's interesting.

Some of the interesting parts of the article is about the same transports in Wadia being used in $100 Sony models so if you're looking for a used transport they uncover some genuine stars found in models you'd think were junk - like Kenwood. But...

CD_transport_DIY (http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSPORT/CD_transport_DIY.html)

Feanor
06-09-2012, 06:18 PM
This is an interesting article on Transports. You get to see some of the different kinds of transports and what you a really paying of in the expensive ones from the likes of Wadia and others.

His commentary on sound is somewhat biased because he is in the business of selling CD players but on the actual parts used it's interesting.

Some of the interesting parts of the article is about the same transports in Wadia being used in $100 Sony models so if you're looking for a used transport they uncover some genuine stars found in models you'd think were junk - like Kenwood. But...

CD_transport_DIY (http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSPORT/CD_transport_DIY.html)
Thanks. Looks like an article for the truly obsessed but I'll try to give it a read -- not that I much use a CD transport anymore.

Mash
06-09-2012, 06:34 PM
What are the mechanical differences between CD and DVD transports? The "electrical" differences I understand.

RGA
06-09-2012, 10:20 PM
I didn't mean to dump on Wadia - they do use the TEAC VRDS in their better machines. But as I pointed out to a guy on another forum - you could simply buy a used TEAC or Tascam or Esoteric (all the same) for a lot less than paying for the same machine with a nice aluminum case and name brand appeal. But the Wadia does use an excellent transport.

MASH - on the site he explains the differences between the transports and their ability to properly read the discs and that transports are not all equal at sending the correct bits to a DAC. The theory that it must read it perfectly in order to work is incorrect. Quite interesting stuff.

Quite a lot of good used transports to look for. Machines with my Sanyo Sanyo SF-91 and the SF-90 are very good on the less expensive side. My Cambride CD 6 uses the SF-91 and has lasted perfectly for over 14 years now. He loves the SF-90 holding it to be the best out there along with VRDS and Philips Pro-2 and some others.

Buying CD players for their transport is interesting because you see the same machine inside various players at various price points so you might be able to pick up a very very good machine in a lesser name brand unit for drastically less money. Sure the pricier machine may sound better as a CD player - better DAC etc but if you use it strickly as a transport you could get a $4000+ machine in a no namer for $100 used in the guise of a Sony, Kenwood or Teac.

Feanor -

Yeah I wish I saw this 10 years ago - with computer audio taking over buying transports is a little late. Still, CD isn't dead yet and I would rather not pay $3k for a transport if I can find the same machine in a Cambridge Audio CD 6 for $150 used. I'm glad I kept it around. Problem is I'm now in HK so it doesn't do me any good.