max. distance between bookshelves [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : max. distance between bookshelves

nusiclover
04-17-2004, 05:22 PM
hi everyone, i need to know what the maximum distance between bookshelves is in order to achieve optimal staging and imaging. reason being, for now they will be 6 feet apart, but it is possible that the next place for them will be a greater length wall. i am getting cable cut for them tomorrow and need to know what length would be best.
thanks.

This Guy
04-17-2004, 06:51 PM
generally there should be an equilateral triangle between you and the two speakers. Meaning,if you're 10 ft from the speakers, place the speakers 10 ft apart. Start from there and adjust them to whatever sounds better.

-Joey

nusiclover
04-17-2004, 10:45 PM
yes, i know this part, but im thinking "if i put those small bookshelve speakers 20 feet aprt im going to lose some imagin, and diminish the overall musical quality"
so, im asking if anyone knows what the maximum distance should be before you lose that imaging quality.

04-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Some systems are better at imaging than others...
Its simple really...start as an equilateral triangle, move your speakers 1foot apart, then move your chair back 0.866 feet. Keep doing it until you start to lose it. It's all guess and test.

kexodusc
04-18-2004, 03:12 AM
Some systems are better at imaging than others...
Its simple really...start as an equilateral triangle, move your speakers 1foot apart, then move your chair back 0.866 feet. Keep doing it until you start to lose it. It's all guess and test.
Or trial and error. Some speakers sound better a few feet back from the triangle method. Depending on Toe-In and and distances from walls you may have to deviate. Often the acoustics of a room is the determining factor in speaker placement and separation. 6 ft is a good start, play around with it, but try to keep away from side walls. It may be that your room's width is a limiting factor.

04-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Trial and error is probably a better way.
Some speakers can be quite a pain to get just right
The triangle method doesnt work for all speakers either.

nusiclover
04-18-2004, 11:55 PM
thanks for all your posts. i think i will go with two 9 foot cuts. this way i have flexibility.