Moraz/Bruford - Music For Piano and Drums [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Moraz/Bruford - Music For Piano and Drums

BarryL
06-06-2012, 09:31 AM
About once a year I check for quiet new releases from some of the more obscure bands I like.

It looks like there were three recent Patrick Moraz releases from radio shows back in the 80s or 90s.

I just received a Moraz/Bruford issue of Music for Piano and Drums, Live in Maryland, recorded in 1984.

The playing is great, but not much different than the studio version of the album. The drums and piano are recorded very cleanly, but there is considerable tape hiss that does get in the way of a pristine listen.

Nonetheless, I'm glad that didn't stop them from releasing it. It's a great to hear what the tour sounded like.

It doesn't sound like these guys are up to much anymore. They ought to get together and record more.

3LB
06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
I never knew Moraz and Bruford made an album together. Is it a straight duet or does it include other musicians?

BarryL
06-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I never knew Moraz and Bruford made an album together. Is it a straight duet or does it include other musicians?

They did two albums with just the two of them.

The first one is just grand piano and acoustic drums. Just the two of them live in the studio, I suppose. It appears that they toured briefly, which is from where the live album is from, and then they went into the studio to record the material for Music for Piano and Drums.

Then a few years later the two of them recorded and album called Flags, which may include Bruford's e-drums, plus Moraz is playing keyboards, expanding beyond just piano.

I'm a big Moraz fan, so I highly recommend both albums. But go with the studio albums. You can hear samples on iTunes.

A few years ago Moraz released a live concert they did in Tokyo. This is a great live album of the two of them together.