Thrift Shopping and Digitization [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thrift Shopping and Digitization

BarryL
06-06-2012, 05:35 AM
There's a big cultural trend obviously to transferring those old CDs to the computer and downloading to digital media devices.

Along with that is a big trend towards getting rid of material baggage, like those hundreds or thousands of CDs that have been sitting around.

It occurred to me that combining these trends could lead to a cornucopia of great cheap music on CDs for the rabid music collector. So I checked out one of the more upscale thrift shops yesterday. They sell their CDs for $2.99 (multiple CD sets are still $2.99).

I picked up the following, all in excellent condition:

M. Ward, Post War
Stevie Wonder, Songs In The Key of Life (2 cds)
Little Feet, Waiting for Columbia (2 cd live)
Cowboy Junkies, The Trinity Sessions

They had tons of classical music, so if you want to take a chance on some composers you may not know well, this may be a good source.

I'm very pleased with my purchases, and the money went to help out a good charitable cause.

noddin0ff
06-06-2012, 05:54 AM
Yeah. I agree. It's a bit of a challenge for me to get to a decent music shop, but when I do I hit the Jazz bins. Combine your two trends with a general lack of Jazz enthusiasts and there some great buys. Well, great buys when there's actually any CD's. Inventories are starting to drop where I shop...

3LB
06-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Amazon may be a better source for some more obscure titles, since a lot of thrift shops and used stores where I live always have trend-o-the-day but few titles I want.

I've been lucky with some jazz titles, but the problem is not that many people who buy jazz get rid of vinyl or CDs.

I'm sitting on my CDs and still buy CDs. I can't imagine trusting a hard drive or even static storage media with my fave or rare music.

BarryL
06-06-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm sitting on my CDs and still buy CDs. I can't imagine trusting a hard drive or even static storage media with my fave or rare music.

Amen, brother.

Slosh
06-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I can't imagine trusting a hard drive or even static storage media with my fave or rare music.That's why I have a back-up of my back-up, though I never intend to get rid of my optical discs either. Also, when I buy an album in FLAC I make a CD-R of it, so I always have at least one copy that's not on a HDD.