noob...guestion for ya! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : noob...guestion for ya!

frenchmon
06-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Ok....with my old speakers and the 2MB there was surface noise more so than my other carts but it was not as if it was really loud or annoying. But with my new speakers the noise is much like not even there as much as before. Some how the new speakers have eliminated lead in hiss, cracks and pops seem much better now. Back ground hiss is pretty much eliminated as well between tracks...How is this possible? Im starting to wonder if this is why they named it 2m BLACK! Because all of a sudden with the speaker change, the background is silent and dark as in BLACK...nothing there especially on newer vinyl. Can you explain this? Was my old speaker to cheap to help out the more expensive cart in hiding the noise?

JohnMichael
06-04-2012, 09:15 AM
One of the things I have noticed in my time with analog and issues of surface noise is that the higher fidelity of the system the less I am bothered by surface noise. Surface noise sounds so different to the musical notes that if the music is right the noise makes much less of an impact. I focus on the music and tune out the noise. I find the noise is in a separate plane from the music.

I think your new speakers are so musical in a good way that the surface noise does not distract you as much as the music attracts you.

You may notice a little more as the tweeter settles in but I think with the quality level you have achieved music will command your attention.

frenchmon
06-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks JM...I think you are right!

02audionoob
06-04-2012, 04:16 PM
I tend to agree with JM's thinking and would add that perhaps your new speakers have a little more emphasis on frequency ranges other than that of the noise you get in the lead-in groove. Are your new speakers better in the highs than your old speakers?

frenchmon
06-05-2012, 06:09 AM
I tend to agree with JM's thinking and would add that perhaps your new speakers have a little more emphasis on frequency ranges other than that of the noise you get in the lead-in groove. Are your new speakers better in the highs than your old speakers?

Much better.

frenchmon
06-06-2012, 11:01 AM
JM and noob! I am amazed at what much better speakers can do to vinyl that has pops and ticks! I purposely went and got records I knew had some major pops and tickes out of my collection. Now the really loud pops and ticks are still audible but some of the little ones are all most silent. Wow! That's great. I thought about playing more of them, but even if I cant hear them, they are still there to wear down the cart, so no more of that.

The old Speakers which retailed about 3 years ago and have been discontinued for about 2 1/2 years and cost $700 new , was really the week link in my system.

02audionoob
06-06-2012, 04:04 PM
I used to just go ahead and play records with the little pops and ticks, but now I'm getting more selective. The records in lesser condition now go to the old Dual with a Shure V15. Some are going to donation and a few even go to the dump. The Benz is getting pampered, while my Goldring Eroica got to just tough it out. I pampered my 1042, though. It was like new when I sold it.

Poultrygeist
06-06-2012, 04:39 PM
With the modded Jolida JD9 surface noise is not the issue it was with the Conrad Johnson.

frenchmon
06-06-2012, 04:51 PM
With the modded Jolida JD9 surface noise is not the issue it was with the Conrad Johnson.

As much as I liked what Peabodys Conrad Johnson and his Dynaudios could do...excellent detail and plenty of emotion..great pace and transient response..oh that thing had it all, but the one thing it did was be to warm while doing the other things correctly.

I thought that syrupiness took away from the other things.

frenchmon
06-06-2012, 04:53 PM
As much as I liked what Peabodys Conrad Johnson and his Dynaudios could do...excellent detail and plenty of emotion..great pace and transient response..oh that thing had it all, but the one thing it did was be to warm while doing the other things correctly.

I thought that syrupiness took away from the other things.

Noob..Im to the point I purchase 95% of my records new....unless mint.

02audionoob
06-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Noob..Im to the point I purchase 95% of my records new....unless mint.

I've gotten much more picky about condition, but I still buy mostly used. I was willing to buy VG used LPs for while, then nothing below VG+, and now it's NM only.

With new media, though, it has to be pretty special and/or inexpensive for me to buy it on vinyl. CDs are so cheap by comparison and I've got that Saturn that needs a little playing time.

Poultrygeist
06-07-2012, 02:53 AM
I like warmth but not syrup which implys thickness.

frenchmon
06-07-2012, 06:54 AM
I've gotten much more picky about condition, but I still buy mostly used. I was willing to buy VG used LPs for while, then nothing below VG+, and now it's NM only.

With new media, though, it has to be pretty special and/or inexpensive for me to buy it on vinyl. CDs are so cheap by comparison and I've got that Saturn that needs a little playing time.

Yeah I have a Musical Fidelity that has that nice tube sound...especially going through the tube preamp....but my TT rig with the 2MB just sounds so much better to my ears....If there is something that I have to have, and cant find it on vinyl, then I get it on CD....but I always look for vinyl first.

I think I have that new Rouge phono amp in my future, If I purchase it, I will do a shoot out with my Grado phono 1 which is a very good stage. IF the Rogue is light years ahead, I will sell the Grado phono 1.

frenchmon
06-07-2012, 06:57 AM
I like warmth but not syrup which implys thickness.

Yes...syrupy warm and thick. I think it was the combination of the very warm CJ gear and the warm Dynaudio's.

02audionoob
06-08-2012, 08:20 PM
I just got through reading your thread in the Speakers forum. Those are some pretty swell speakers. It sounds like you really nailed it.

frenchmon
06-09-2012, 01:10 AM
I just got through reading your thread in the Speakers forum. Those are some pretty swell speakers. It sounds like you really nailed it.

Yeah....they are great! I'm addicted to the mid range on them. Thanks noob!