New, old speaker system. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New, old speaker system.

nova
04-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi, first post here. Looking for a little help.

I just scored this old system from my father:

http://n0v4.shackspace.com/stereo.jpg

It's almost as old as me, but it sounds pretty good. He gave it up because he got a new sony 5.1 system.

Anyway, my problem is that the left speaker will only output through the subwoofer. The tweeter and mid dont work. It's all hooked up correctly in the back, and if I switch the left channel to the right speaker, its fine, so I'm assuming the problem is the speaker itself. Is there anything inside that could be causing the problem -- maybe a loose wire or something? I'm willing to crack it open to try to fix it, but I dont want to open it unless I'm sure it's something that's easily fixable inside. My father would probably be pretty upset if I opened it and messed it up, he's owned the system for at least 15 years. Lost cause maybe?

Thanks for any help.

Pat D
04-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi, first post here. Looking for a little help.

I just scored this old system from my father:

http://n0v4.shackspace.com/stereo.jpg

It's almost as old as me, but it sounds pretty good. He gave it up because he got a new sony 5.1 system.

Anyway, my problem is that the left speaker will only output through the subwoofer. The tweeter and mid dont work. It's all hooked up correctly in the back, and if I switch the left channel to the right speaker, its fine, so I'm assuming the problem is the speaker itself. Is there anything inside that could be causing the problem -- maybe a loose wire or something? I'm willing to crack it open to try to fix it, but I dont want to open it unless I'm sure it's something that's easily fixable inside. My father would probably be pretty upset if I opened it and messed it up, he's owned the system for at least 15 years. Lost cause maybe?

Thanks for any help.
Yes, it is quite possible that there is a loose wire, but it is also quite likely that the mid and tweeter are blown. Maybe they can be replaced or maybe not. Maybe Radio Shack can tell you. To get inside the speakers, you would probably unscrew the drivers and then look to see whether they are connected properly--no loose wires. I doubt if the drivers are fused, but if so, the fuses could be blown--an easy fix.

Didn't your father notice that one of the speakers wasn't working properly?

nova
04-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Didn't your father notice that one of the speakers wasn't working properly?

I would think so. I'm going to call him tomorrow--you'd think he'd mention if one of the speakers werent working properly. I'm thinking that maybe it was damaged during transport. (He had it just laying in the backseat of his car.)

Thanks for the info in any case. I hope it's just a simple fuse.

nova
04-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Well, I got the tweeter to work. Opened it up and it was just a loose wire. Snapped it back on and it works fine now. Mid still doesnt work, it's wired fine but there's just no sound from it. It looks like it's had a bad past, there's dried glue around the edge of the cone and the center is pushed inwards. Probably blown. I'm going to see if I can buy a replacement.