Stuck with AT&T which suck [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stuck with AT&T which suck

Smokey
05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Very disappointed with AT&T as a national internet provider.

I have Express DSL (1.5 mbps) with AT&T and decided need more internet speed. So called them up to upgrade to Pro DSL which is 3.0 mbps and they told me they can not upgrade my speed to Pro. Asked them why and they said their system won't let them (or something to that effect) which is a sad excuse.

I know my line and DSL is capable of 3 mbps bandwidth since use to have it couple of years ago with same company.

So told them to upgrade my speed via U-verse internet service which have speed up to 24 mbps and as my luck have it, told me it is not available in my location. So I'm basically stuck with 1.5 mbps internet speed and and can not upgrade to higher speed.

If I wasn't so dependent on their land line for my home phone, I would drop their entire service in a heart beat. May be need to call Comcast to see what they got.

TheHills44060
06-01-2012, 09:16 AM
I used to have AT&T DSL and phone service also. I ended up ditching them and going with a package from Time Warner including 15mbps internet, home phone and cable. Overall I am pleased and would not go back to AT&T. (U-verse is not available in my area either)

Groundbeef
06-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I have comcast for my internet AND home phone. I was leery of cable phone, but I got to keep my landline #, the transistion was seemless and it even works with my alarm system and 911.

Price is quite reasonable. Phone connects to special modem with a battery backup so you have phone even if power goes out. I have it also set up on a UPS power system so I have like 48 hours of phone service if power goes out.

And the internet is really fast with comcast.

markw
06-01-2012, 11:46 AM
I have comcast for my internet AND home phone. I was leery of cable phone, but I got to keep my landline #, the transistion was seemless and it even works with my alarm system and 911.

Price is quite reasonable. Phone connects to special modem with a battery backup so you have phone even if power goes out. I have it also set up on a UPS power system so I have like 48 hours of phone service if power goes out.

And the internet is really fast with comcast.What beef said. As you know, I've got Comcast's triple play and, when running a direct line from my router to my TV, I'm getting arounf 11 - 13 Mbps while streaming movies.

...it's a bit slower when using our wireless laptops or the other internet enabled blu-ray players, but it still streams in HD.

So, you're not stuck. Sometimes ya just gotta man up, bite the bullet, and pay for what you want. Either that, or live in a constant state of dissatisfaction but, hey, just look at all the money you're saving. :D.

FWIW, we love AT&T for our wireless service.

Smokey
06-01-2012, 09:56 PM
So, you're not stuck. Sometimes ya just gotta man up, bite the bullet, and pay for what you want. Either that, or live in a constant state of dissatisfaction but, hey, just look at all the money you're saving. :D

Satisfaction is more than having cable or fast internet :)

I looked at some of online deals from Comcast, and they seem to offer 6 month promotion internet for $20 at 12 Mbps speed which is not too bad. But it requires subscription to either XFINITY TV or Phone service at regular rates which mean strings attached.

Why they just can't offer Internet service alone without bloated bundles. At least At&T offer that option.

markw
06-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Satiafaction may be more than fast cable or internet, but from your posts here, you have none of those three.

Like the rest of the companies in this world, they gotta make money to survive. I guess you've never heard of the marketing term called "promotion"?

Like I (we) have been saying, if ya want the good stuff, ya gotta ante up. Beggars can't be choosers.

I guess you just have to decide what fast internet is worth to you, and live with your choice without whining about it.

recoveryone
06-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Very disappointed with AT&T as a national internet provider.

I have Express DSL (1.5 mbps) with AT&T and decided need more internet speed. So called them up to upgrade to Pro DSL which is 3.0 mbps and they told me they can not upgrade my speed to Pro. Asked them why and they said their system won't let them (or something to that effect) which is a sad excuse.

I know my line and DSL is capable of 3 mbps bandwidth since use to have it couple of years ago with same company.

So told them to upgrade my speed via U-verse internet service which have speed up to 24 mbps and as my luck have it, told me it is not available in my location. So I'm basically stuck with 1.5 mbps internet speed and and can not upgrade to higher speed.

If I wasn't so dependent on their land line for my home phone, I would drop their entire service in a heart beat. May be need to call Comcast to see what they got.

What they may have said to you is that your local switch station does not support the higher bandwith or even your setup may be on an older system and they would have to totally shut you down for a week to move it over to the newer system. I had to go through that years ago with Verizon. I was the first in my area to get DSL (756 D/L-128 U/L), but after several years I wanted faster speed like all of my neigbors were getting at the same price I was paying. I was told that my setup was on an older switch line and would have to be dropped off it completly then added to the newer system. I had to change my E-mails address to reflect the upgrade. I was not happy at first, but with the growing number of wireless devices in my home I had to do it. That upgrade was only to 3-5 Mbps, but it allow me to be ready for any futher upgrades later. Now I have Fios with 30-30 Mbps. The combo deals are the best way to go, if you try to get each one seperate it will cost you 30-40% more. I have free long distants service, 30-30 Mbps Fios, and 3 HD STB's 1 standard STB all for 150 a month. In the past I was paying $90 just for the phone and DSL and another $100 for my cable w/Time Warner.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Wow, I feel lucky. I have U-verse at 24mbps, and I pay $50 bucks a month for. Instead of just getting 24mbps, I actually get a steady 40mbps because I live right across the street from the switch box, and nobody in my neighborhood has U-verse. I don't know if this is why I am getting this fast speed, but it sure is nice.

Smokey
06-12-2012, 07:05 PM
AT&T finally gave in and upgraded me :)

Last week after going back and forth between their service, customer and technical department and hinting that might be dropping their service, they agreed to send out a technician last Friday to my home to upgrade the switches and wires to accommodate faster speed.

And to keep me as their customer, the speed upgrade from 1.5 to 3 mb/s will be free as a promotion for one year. So a happy camper here :)

One thing I learned about ATT is that their customer service is not created equal. One customer representive will tell you one thing, and another will tell you something else regarding the installation and pricing. So if you are not happy with their answer regarding your situatiion, call back the next day and get a different answer.

bfalls
06-13-2012, 05:57 AM
Internet providers as with satellite providers all cater to the "new customer". Once they have you you have to pay for every upgrade unless you threaten to leave.

I also don't understand the extra cost for HD. Maybe before when HD had limited programming and networks prior to everyone going digital, but why now with everyone being digital and most HD? Why doesn't the networks bear the cost for being competitive?

recoveryone
06-13-2012, 06:44 AM
I also don't understand the extra cost for HD. Maybe before when HD had limited programming and networks prior to everyone going digital, but why now with everyone being digital and most HD? Why doesn't the networks bear the cost for being competitive?

Its mainly not the programing, but the HD STB you get hit with. Most cable providers send the HD signal right along with the rest of the digital programs (my parents have access to about 30 HD channels right from the RF jack) but some HD programing require the STB to de-scramble the signal and that is where the provider hits you with the extra charges:

$3-10 per HD STB
$1-3 per remote

It adds up when you have several STB's in your house.

Feanor
06-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Internet providers as with satellite providers all cater to the "new customer". Once they have you you have to pay for every upgrade unless you threaten to leave.

I don't know specifically but I do know in general that providers will charge whatever they can get away with.

Example: where I am the land-line telephone fee includes a "Touch Tone service" fee of C$2.80. For 30+ years it's been cheaper for the 'phone company to provide touch-tone instead of rotary dialing but still we get charged. Why? Because (1) regulations permit it, (2) there's no land-line competion, and (3) people are used to it.