TV Replacement Cycle is 7 Years [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV Replacement Cycle is 7 Years

Smokey
05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
According to the most recent update to the Global TV Replacement Study published annually by NPD DisplaySearch, the worldwide television replacement cycle has shrunk from 8.4 to 6.9 years over the last twelve months.

http://www.displaysearch.com/images/Research/DisplaySearch_Average_Age_of_TVs_Replaced_or_To_Be _Replaced_in_Years_120530.png

The research tracked consumers’ intent to buy new TVs in fourteen markets, including the UK, the USA, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, China, Brazil, India and Russia. In almost every country analysed, the most important reason given by consumers to replace their current televisions is getting a bigger-sized screen. This was followed by a desire to upgrade to a flat-panel display with better image quality, and declining prices

Despite being marketed heavily by TV makers and retailers, 3D functionality and internet connectivity were described as only weak motivators for consumers to upgrade their old TV sets. Clearly, these advanced features were not as important as manufacturers would like them to be in influencing a buyer’s choice of new television.

NPD DisplaySearch research director Riddhi Patel said that on a global scale the majority of homes are ditching CRTs in favour of flat-screen TVs, although in mature markets such as the United Kingdom and the US, consumers are replacing their first-generation flat panels.

Global TV Replacement Cycle Falls Below 7 Years, as Households Continue to Replace Older CRT TVs and Upgrade to Larger Flat Panel Sets - DisplaySearch (http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/120529_global_tv_replacement_cycle_falls_below_7_y ears_as_households_continue_to_replace.asp)

bobsticks
05-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Given this average you must be fairly proud to have survived twenty seven years with the same television, dvd player and rabbit ears....:biggrin5:

Hyfi
05-31-2012, 02:56 AM
Given this average you must be fairly proud to have survived twenty seven years with the same television, dvd player and rabbit ears....:biggrin5:

I am still using the first TV purchased when I got married 26 years ago...it's a Sony.

TheHills44060
05-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Still using a Magnavox from '85 and a Mitsubishi from '88. Had to replace the channel changers with universals but the tv's themselves are fine. Not one problem.

First and only flat panel I bought died completely and had to be repaired within the first 3 months.

GMichael
05-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Let me take stock.
Basement TV: 32" CRT Apex purchased in 2001
Bedroom TV: 92" screen with a 720p Sanyo projector purchased in 2006
Living room: Main TV: 120" screen with a 1080p 3D Epson projector purchased last November
Living room: Alt.TV: 42" Sony LCD 1080p purchased in 2010
Munchkin's TV: 32" Sharp 720p LCD purchased in 2011
So that's 11 + 6 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 21/5TV's = 4.2 year average.
My average would have been much higher a couple years ago, or even last year. We just retired a 25 year old CRT and a 6 year old projector. Plus the Munchkin came along and we had to get her something new.

bobsticks
05-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Jumpin Jee-Ho-Siphatz guys...I'm just blowin' the Smokester some heat for his legendary "frugality"...

Smokey
05-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Jumpin Jee-Ho-Siphatz guys...I'm just blowin' the Smokester some heat for his legendary "frugality"...

So looks like I'm not the only one :ciappa:

My LCD is a year old, and already thinking about upgrading to bigger screen since it double as PC monitor also. Surfing the net on big wide screen TV is so much fun.

TheHills44060
06-02-2012, 05:33 AM
Totally Smokey...I enjoy having the 65" but it bothers me how flat screens are not built to last.

recoveryone
06-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Hmmm let me sort mine out:
Family room 55" Vizio 1080p 3 years ago replaced 9 year 55" Mits

Masterbedroom 32" Vizio 1080p 2 years ago replaced 6 year old Vizio 720p (now used in my office at work)

Gameroom/oldest daughter room 32" Vizio 1080p 1 year ago replaced JVC 20" CRT (in garage as backup unit)

Boys room (praying they move out soon!) 37" Vizio 1080p 5 years old

Girls room 19" Sanyo CRT no cable box ( they need to earn the right to watch TV in their room again)

winston
06-03-2012, 08:04 AM
the replacement rate of TVs these days are becoming more & more tempting, and for good reasons, performance improvement, screens get's larger & larger (on a diet) :) with much much more really "cool features" that even the none TV lovers, would be happy to own.... OH, and the prices keeps falling, "the six month old models keeps moving to the back of the line, making way for new models"

speaking of which, eg, its hard for a (AV guy) to resist the temptation of a Samsung 46' LED 1080P 240HZ last year model for its prices today :smilewinkgrin:

and its even more comforting to know that the (average Joe) can pick one up, take it home and put it together, without the help of five guys, just to get it inside the house..... so imo these are some of reasons that makes the replacement cycle even quicker than the present Data

texlle
06-03-2012, 04:25 PM
5-9 years is about right for me. I have never had a TV crap out on me- just the one that was dropped on its screen during a move and suffered from rainbow-vision for the rest of its existence- a Sony Trinitron 27" from 2000. Though it still worked fine otherwise, but I gave it to a roommate when I was in college.

I still have a Mitsubishi 25" from 1987, a Magnavox TV/VCR combo 13" from 1991, a Panasonic Tau 32" HDTV from 2004, a Sharp 27" from 2006, and my two newest arrivals- a Samsung 46" LCD- 2011, and a used Samsung 27" LCD 720P from 2007 for the bedroom.

My first TV was the Magnavox, then the Sony, the Sharp, then the Samsung 46" and finally the used Samsung 720P LCD. The Mitsubishi and Panasonic were given to me by my parents fairly recently, after they upgraded to new sets, which I then gave to my current roommate.

Happy Camper
06-10-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm part of that last twelve months stat. My RPTV was dying. This new beast is nice and takes up less space for the same sized display. My bedroom set is a CRT that's probably 15 yrs old and it is chugging along just fine.