Audio Nirvana Full Range Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio Nirvana Full Range Speakers

cackalacky
05-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Audio Nirvana makes several sizes of full range drivers with either Ferrite, Neodymium, or Alnico magnets. I auditioned the 15" Neodymiums this past Monday. They were driven by an Audio Nirvana tube amp (11 watts per channel), engineered specifically with full range speakers in mind. The cabinets were large, veneered MDF, 5.6 cu. ft. bass reflex boxes.

There's a pretty accurate assumption among Hi-Fi hobbyists and audiophiles that all Hi-Fi products are a trade-off in some area. "No product has it all, so suck it up and be willing to live with the strengths and weaknesses." These Audio Nirvanas challenge and defy that assumption. Natural, natural, natural, natural. I know it's cliche, but the listener is in the room with the musicians. Especially on vocals and acoustic instruments (where most speakers have some degree of difficulty), the realism is uncanny. Plenty of bass extension, a deep and wide soundstage, imaging, texture, timbre, it's there in all it's natural beauty and splendor.

The Audio Nirvanas I listened to have moved to the front of the class. I honestly can't think of a single criticism or flaw sonically. There are no trade-offs or compromises. Their only downside might be the size of the cabinet required to achieve the right balance of bass. Spouse units will just have to adjust.

Caution. If you get a chance to hear these, be prepared to change your standards of what good Hi-Fi should sound like. If I were Audio Nirvana owner David Dicks, I'd be very tempted to barnstorm the country, challenging all comers to comparison listening, and betting on the outcome. I've not heard any speakers at any price that could beat them.
http://www.commomsenseaudio.com

Poultrygeist
06-01-2012, 03:38 AM
Too bad many will never try the high efficiency full range option.

The public is so brainwashed to think glitzy complicated multi-driver systems with sound robbing crossovers as the gold standard while the most cost effective and better solution is devalued due to it's simplicity. Of course it's simplicity is key to it's sonic advantage. The purity and unencumbered sound of a great full ranger driven by a triode is a thing of beauty.

David's amp is a re-badge available elsewhere for less. Cack, I plan to try an Audio Nirvana full ranger at some point and will be interested in your build. Some of his cabinet plans are in the BIB range.

Hyfi
06-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Too bad many will never try the high efficiency full range option.

The public is so brainwashed to think glitzy complicated multi-driver systems with sound robbing crossovers as the gold standard while the most cost effective and better solution is devalued due to it's simplicity. Of course it's simplicity is key to it's sonic advantage. The purity and unencumbered sound of a great full ranger driven by a triode is a thing of beauty.

David's amp is a re-badge available elsewhere for less. Cack, I plan to try an Audio Nirvana full ranger at some point and will be interested in your build. Some of his cabinet plans are in the BIB range.

Poultry,

The main problem is that there is pretty much no place to hear these types of setups so it's hard for people to just mail order or build something they never heard.

Myself on the other hand seeked out a place to demo something similar and was pleasantly surprised. Many people don't like Omega speakers but other than the Gema speakers, they were what I could listen to. Although it was not a SET amp driving them, it was still only 15 or 16 wpc with SET like qualities.

My main concern is the ability to handle my good size living room but in a small room it was way more than adequate and they had very nice bass response. I took one of my own comps with all bass heavy music, but all good recordings, and the guys at the shop were pretty blown away with what they heard too.

I may be headed in that direction in the future when I downsize. Right now it's hard to part with the killer setup I have since it does everything I want it to do. Resale value on what I use is also questionable even though I paid next to nothing for it all to begin with.

At least knowing I have a pair of 92db speakers already, I may just get one of the cheap ones to play with sometime.

Keep pushing this stuff, more people need to be aware of these options.

cackalacky
06-02-2012, 05:43 AM
[QUOTE=Poultrygeist;383847]Too bad many will never try the high efficiency full range option.

The public is so brainwashed to think glitzy complicated multi-driver systems with sound robbing crossovers as the gold standard while the most cost effective and better solution is devalued due to it's simplicity. Of course it's simplicity is key to it's sonic advantage. The purity and unencumbered sound of a great full ranger driven by a triode is a thing of beauty.[QUOTE]

David says that the challenge in getting these in front of the listening public has been the profitability factor for the retailer. I'd like for someone with audio retail experience or knowledge to shed some light on this.

While Audio Nirvana sells only the drivers, they'll hook a buyer up with a cabinet shop that will make the boxes and assemble the speakers. With shipping, the 15" Neodymiums cost roughly the same as a pair of Maggie 1.7s. Sonically, the two have a lot of similarities in transparency, imaging, soundstage. While I might give the Maggies an ever so slight advantage in cohesiveness, the ANs get higher marks for superior dynamics and realism, as well as slightly better bass extension.

Poultrygeist
06-02-2012, 10:50 AM
The advantage the AN or any good HE full ranger enjoys is that it can be driven by a high detail resolving ( at low level ) SET amp. You can't use a flea power SET with Maggies or any low efficiency speaker.

Hyfi
06-02-2012, 02:27 PM
David says that the challenge in getting these in front of the listening public has been the profitability factor for the retailer. I'd like for someone with audio retail experience or knowledge to shed some light on this.

Less drivers, less overall build cost, no crossover = less overall price to start with. So there has to be less of a markup. I was surprised with the prices of the Omega speakers.

Then the retailer has to move into tubes and SET to properly demo. Most of the public as outlined in the other thread is scared of tubes. Joe Sixpack aint going SET, he's going Bose.

With the decline in overall audio dealers and the limited brands they sell kills the whole experience since they can't sell Marantz, Yamaha, Integra and then confuse a guy with Yaquin.

Keep up the good fight fellas!

cackalacky
06-03-2012, 03:49 AM
The advantage the AN or any good HE full ranger enjoys is that it can be driven by a high detail resolving ( at low level ) SET amp. You can't use a flea power SET with Maggies or any low efficiency speaker.

I'll be pulling the trigger on a pair of ANs, probably the 12" Neodymiums, no later than mid July. Next decision is on an amp. Suggestions? The AN low watt tube amp ($1,000) was flawless.

Proposal: I build the speakers and bring them by your house. You get to hear the ANs, and I get to hear them with your SET. "A splendid time is guaranteed for all."

cackalacky
06-03-2012, 04:09 AM
Less drivers, less overall build cost, no crossover = less overall price to start with. So there has to be less of a markup. I was surprised with the prices of the Omega speakers.

Then the retailer has to move into tubes and SET to properly demo. Most of the public as outlined in the other thread is scared of tubes. Joe Sixpack aint going SET, he's going Bose.

With the decline in overall audio dealers and the limited brands they sell kills the whole experience since they can't sell Marantz, Yamaha, Integra and then confuse a guy with Yaquin.

Keep up the good fight fellas!

Do you really think that tubes are a deal killer? I'm inclined to think that comparison auditions of low watt/full range next to high watt/inefficient will yield converts to the former. I'm also thinking that upon listening, Joe will expect a price point equal to, maybe even more than the latter, making it an attractive proposition for the retailer. What am I missing?

Poultrygeist
06-03-2012, 04:33 AM
cack,

Sounds like a great plan. I've got three SET amps in three different price ranges ( $1500 Bottlehead 2a3 mono-blocks, $850 Dared 2a3, $240 Miniwatt S1 ) that will drive them well. I also have a vintage single ended Rotel EL84 that we can pull out of the closet for a listen.

You will also get to hear how the 12 inch AN's compare to the 12 inch Eminence Beta 12LTA's ( $79 ) which have become my current favorites.

Poultrygeist
06-03-2012, 05:03 AM
Here is a link to the Beta 12LTA in a DIY Hammer Dynamics Super 12 clone. The plans are floating around somewhere and it looks somewhat similar to some of the AN enclosures.

Super 12 clones (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=album;id=9019)

cackalacky
06-03-2012, 12:40 PM
cack,

Sounds like a great plan. I've got three SET amps in three different price ranges ( $1500 Bottlehead 2a3 mono-blocks, $850 Dared 2a3, $240 Miniwatt S1 ) that will drive them well. I also have a vintage single ended Rotel EL84 that we can pull out of the closet for a listen.

You will also get to hear how the 12 inch AN's compare to the 12 inch Eminence Beta 12LTA's ( $79 ) which have become my current favorites.

If your Eminence Beta 12LTA's ($79) are comparable to the 12"AN Neodymiums ($800), please cushion the blow with a substantially powerful adult beverage. Hide your firearms and all sharp objects as well.

Seriously, you're going to be amazed with the AN's.

FWIW, David estimates that the fall-off in quality from the Neo/Alnico drivers to the cast frame drivers is about 15%, although he admitted that it was pretty hard to quantify. The price difference is about 50%. Decisions, decisions.

Poultrygeist
06-03-2012, 04:46 PM
In many ways the $79 Betas outperform my $500 a pair Neo Tang Bands ( the white faced Lowther clone drivers you listened to in OB and the ones you liked best ) .

I would not expect the Betas to better the Neo AN's but the Betas sound way better than I could ever have imagined.

It's helpful to test the waters before going full tilt for the high dollar drivers. I won't buy any driver before extensive research of what others think of them. I'd check other forums for opinions and not just David's peeps.

I always have plenty of adult beverages on hand.

iheaka71
08-27-2019, 06:12 AM
In many ways the $79 Betas outperform my $500 a pair Neo Tang Bands ( the white faced Lowther clone drivers you listened to in OB and the ones you liked best ) .

I would not expect the Betas to better the Neo AN's but the Betas sound way better than I could ever have imagined.

It's helpful to test the waters before going full tilt for the high dollar drivers. I won't buy any driver before extensive research of what others think of them. I'd check other forums for opinions and not just David's peeps.

I always have plenty of adult beverages on hand.

I know this is an old post but I am scouring the net for reviews. Im debating on going for the AN12 Ferritte vs the Alnico.

Poultrygeist
08-27-2019, 01:59 PM
I know this is an old post but I am scouring the net for reviews. Im debating on going for the AN12 Ferritte vs the Alnico.

Alnico is the way to go.