Memorable gay charactor in films [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Memorable gay charactor in films

Smokey
05-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Gay charactors in movies played either by a strait or gay actors can be so funny and hilarious with the right material. These are some of more memorable charactors that have played on silver screen.

Not in any particular order:

Victor Votoria (1982): Robert Preston was as tough as they come playing a bad guy in noir films. But playing a middle-aged gay performer in Paris, he was very enjoyable to watch.
http://i2.listal.com/image/2248899/400full.jpg

Frankie and Johnny (1992): Nathan Lane stole every scenes he is in. Wish they gave him more screen time in this film, and less cheesy romance between Al Pacino and Pfeiffer.
http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/3D595p8qfkQ/hqdefault.jpg

Partners (1982): Starring Ryan O'Neal and John Hurt as a mismatched pair of cops on a stakeout, Ryan start liking it as John take on the house choirs.
http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/images/287096/287096_large.jpg

The Birdcage (1996): Although Nathan Lane was funny, but I thought Robin Williams was funnier. Especially with his John Wayne's walk comment :D
http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/221978.1020.A.jpg

History Of World Part I (1981): Mel Brook seem to use the same gay hairdresser in most of his movie scenes and it is always funny (guy in the middle).
http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/world/images/pissboy.jpg

JohnMichael
05-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh parodies of gay people in films.

JohnMichael
05-26-2012, 09:21 PM
I think you need to mention "Brokeback Mountain" and the characters of Jack and Ennis. Ennis struggled with his feelings and they both had to deal with the times in which they were living.

JohnMichael
05-26-2012, 09:32 PM
"Milk" the story of Harvey Milk. Now that is a movie worth watching. He was an activist, politician and ultimately a martyr.

JohnMichael
05-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Here is a better list of movies you might want to watch.

Top 50 of Gay-themed movies (and shorts)

IMDb: Top 50 of Gay-themed movies (and shorts) - a list by jadsonrocha (http://www.imdb.com/list/P76iRB882o4/)

Smokey
05-26-2012, 09:45 PM
John, I think you better give us a list rather than adding one by one :D

I agree that some of my listed movies are parodies, but ther are some others (like you mnetioned) that are very intelligent. Philadelphia is also a good example.

JohnMichael
05-26-2012, 09:46 PM
John, I think you better give us a list rather than adding one by one :D

I agree that some of my listed movies are parodies, but ther are some others (like you mnetioned) that are very intelligent. Philadelphia is also a good example.

I will give them as I think of the ones most important to me and check the list above.

JohnMichael
05-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Here is another list.

Top 11 Great Gay Interest Movies (http://listverse.com/2008/07/22/top-11-great-gay-interest-movies/)

JohnMichael
05-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Here is a Top Ten from the Sundance Film Festival.

Sundance Channel | Sundance Film Festival Coverage | Top 10 (http://www.sundancechannel.com/festival/top-ten/best-gay-themed-films/)

Smokey
05-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Here is another list.

Top 11 Great Gay Interest Movies (http://listverse.com/2008/07/22/top-11-great-gay-interest-movies/)

Interesting listing. Must admit that have not seen most of mentioned films.

JohnMichael
05-26-2012, 10:03 PM
I obviously do not like movies that perpetuate stereotypes.

Smokey
05-26-2012, 10:13 PM
I obviously do not like movies that perpetuate stereotypes.

But after all John, they are only movies. You have to take the good with the bad as movies do with other situations.

JohnMichael
05-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Yes but you only listed the bad.

JohnMichael
05-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Birdcage was mentioned and it was not the original by any means. The story started as a French movie "La Cage aux Folles" and then became a Broadway musical of the same name. The French movie and the Broadway musical concentrated on the long term relationship between the two leads and the impending nuptials of the son to a woman from a poltically conservative family. By the time Birdcage was released the story seemed to have been minimalized and had become a farce.

ForeverAutumn
05-27-2012, 04:48 AM
Milk was a brilliant movie. Sean Penn is a very under-rated actor. He's one of the best of our generation.

dingus
05-27-2012, 01:18 PM
my favorite was John Ritter as Vaughan in Sling Blade.

JohnMichael
05-27-2012, 03:40 PM
my favorite was John Ritter as Vaughan in Sling Blade.

I need to watch that movie. Glad you reminded me of it.

3LB
05-27-2012, 04:53 PM
How could anyone forget George Hamilton in Zorro: The Gay Blade?

anyone...

anyone...

I'm not helping, am I?

JohnMichael
05-27-2012, 05:30 PM

anyone...

anyone...

I'm not helping, am I?

If the title had been Comedies with memorable gay characters I would have thought nothing of the first group of movies. The title "Memorable gay character in films" made me think here is a thread I might enjoy.

dean_martin
05-28-2012, 08:08 AM
JM- Have you seen The Boys in the Band (1970)? I'd be interested in reading your take on it. Yes, some of the characters reflect stereotypes, but I thought it was entertaining and surprisingly intense. It's an adaptation of a popular play from 1968 (revived in 1996). It seems to be criticized today for its depiction of self-loathing (which it has plenty of), but I was struck by the tension created as it moves along. It has wit and dialog that cuts to the bone.

My answer: Harold from The Boys in the Band.

JohnMichael
05-28-2012, 08:27 AM
JM- Have you seen The Boys in the Band (1970)? I'd be interested in reading your take on it. Yes, some of the characters reflect stereotypes, but I thought it was entertaining and surprisingly intense. It's an adaptation of a popular play from 1968 (revived in 1996). It seems to be criticized today for its depiction of self-loathing (which it has plenty of), but I was struck by the tension created as it moves along. It has wit and dialog that cuts to the bone.

My answer: Harold from The Boys in the Band.

I read the book years ago but have not seen the movie. Another on my list of must watch films. I think years ago there was a lot of self-loathing. I was in high school from 1970-74 (my school was grades 1-8 and then 9-12) and as I was struggling to accept myself as gay I was bombarded with negativity. Teachers and Priests spoke against it. Friends and classmates would use hate words. Much of tv if they had a gay character of any kind they were loathed and mistrusted. I think it was easy back in the days to internalize some of the negativity I was bombarded with daily.

Each generation is becoming more comfortable being gay. I know a couple of older gays that do not like to go places with me because they perceive me as being very out and then I have younger friends that are so out I get nervous at times. We are victims of the times we lived.

dean_martin
05-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Watching, studying and reading about different (and not-so-mainstream) film genres and themes used to be an obsession/hobby of mine. But it's very time-consuming to try to keep up with new themes and movements in film. Thus, my references are quite old now. I remember seeing the documentary The Celluloid Closet (1995) when it came out on video in '95 or '96. It was an interesting and entertaining survey of gays and lesbians (and their influence) in film up to that time. I would think there's enough material out there for a "part 2" picking up where it left off through the present date.

While The Celluloid Closet focuses most of its attention on gay men, the book Vampires and Violets (1993) is an in-depth discussion of lesbianism in film, both subtle and as a main theme.

Smokey
05-28-2012, 02:54 PM

I sure did as completely forgot about that movie. Very funny film.

If the title had been Comedies with memorable gay characters I would have thought nothing of the first group of movies. The title "Memorable gay character in films" made me think here is a thread I might enjoy.

I hope you are enjoying it :D

The first title you mentioned probably would have restrict the broadness this thread as we wouldn't have exellent movies dingus, 3LB or Dean Martin mentioned. I started off in comedy genre since that is my first choice in movies and IMO non of them are bad or stereotyped as you mentioned. Most questionable film in my list is probably Mel Brooks, but he makes fun of everybody including his own Jewish heritage.

I would put bad or stereotype label on movies like Cruising with Al Pacino which exploid the dark side of gay community.

JohnMichael
05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
I sure did as completely forgot about that movie. Very funny film.

I would put bad or stereotype label on movies like Cruising with Al Pacino which exploid the dark side of gay community.

The gay community boycotted that one. In the homosexual community as well in the heterosexual community we have our fringe elements. We do not want to see a film about them. I do not see that movie as a stereotype as much as I see it as exploitive and sensationalizing of a very small part of the gay community.

3LB
05-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Its funny, or not, how most minorities are first portrayed in print, film or TV as comedy relief or parody. I mentioned the movie Zorro: The Gay Blade as a sarcastic joke, the way I'd suggest Amos & Andy as memorable African-American characters (being facetious of course).

The true sign of progress is when a character's gender, race or sexual orientation is revealed as a trait for the purpose of character study and not the defining factor in the plot of a story. In movies anyway.

Feanor
05-29-2012, 05:23 AM
Kiss of the Spider Women impressed me back in the day (1985). It seemed to me that William Hurt did a great job as Luis Molina, the gay imprisoned for "immoral behaviour".

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jfCqHahSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

GMichael
05-29-2012, 08:45 AM

I bet you end up liking it in the end.
I sure have missed a lot of movies. BlockBuster must have let me down.

JohnMichael
05-29-2012, 09:14 AM
I bet you end up liking it in the end..

There you go stereotyping again. LOL

GMichael
05-29-2012, 09:16 AM
There you go stereotyping again. LOL

That's not what I meant when I first typed it, but when I read it back........:sosp:

JohnMichael
05-29-2012, 09:30 AM
I am enjoying the thread. I have learned about and been reminded of movies I really want to see.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-29-2012, 12:31 PM
The movies with gay characters I thoroughly enjoyed are "Tu Wong Foo, Thank you for everything Julie Newmar", and "Priscilla Queen of the Desert", I thought both were very entertaining.

JohnMichael
05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
The movies with gay characters I thoroughly enjoyed are "Tu Wong Foo, Thank you for everything Julie Newmar", and "Priscilla Queen of the Desert", I thought both were very entertaining.

Those two never made it to town.

3LB
05-30-2012, 06:56 PM

But aren't those transgender or crossdressing themes, not necessarily gay?

JohnMichael
05-31-2012, 01:41 AM
But aren't those transgender or crossdressing themes, not necessarily gay?

Transgender people feel their bodies do not match how they feel inside. During the gestation period and delivery of hormones a body can masculinize while the brain may feminize. A person may feel like a woman but she is sporting things in her pants that she does not want. She wants to look like a woman because that is how her brain thinks and feels.

When gay men dress up as women it is more for theatrics than for any type of arousal. While straight men dress as women they report sexual arousal and sometimes release from dressing as a woman. Gay men who dress up call themselves drag queens and straight men are referred to as cross dressers.

Worf101
05-31-2012, 06:05 AM
I find it funny that nobodies mentioned any FEMALE characters. "Boy's Don't Cry" was earth shattering to me. I also love Thelma and Louise. My most memorable Gay Male character was Massala from the film "Ben Hur". When I watched "The Celluloid Closet" many years ago Gore Vidal I believe discussed in detail how he felt the character of Heston's main villain should be played. He suggested that Massala be played as a gay male who'd had a crush on Ben Hur all his life.

A crush that turns deadly when Heston spurns his love/request for aid. They said that that's how it was played as well but they kept it secret from Heston (for obvious reasons). I thought this was tripe until I watched the film again with that slant in mind. If you re-view the film again watch the adoring looks Massala gives Hur when they meet in his office. Massala is never seen with any woman, only his blond second in command. The same blond that runs to his crushed and broken body at the end. No wife, no lover no girlfriend.

In my view I believe Vidal is telling the truth. And as such I consider him my most memorable gay character.

Worf

Feanor
05-31-2012, 08:54 AM
I find it funny that nobodies mentioned any FEMALE characters. "Boy's Don't Cry" was earth shattering to me. I also love Thelma and Louise. My most memorable Gay Male character was Massala from the film "Ben Hur". When I watched "The Celluloid Closet" many years ago Gore Vidal I believe discussed in detail how he felt the character of Heston's main villain should be played. He suggested that Massala be played as a gay male who'd had a crush on Ben Hur all his life.

A crush that turns deadly when Heston spurns his love/request for aid. They said that that's how it was played as well but they kept it secret from Heston (for obvious reasons). I thought this was tripe until I watched the film again with that slant in mind. If you re-view the film again watch the adoring looks Massala gives Hur when they meet in his office. Massala is never seen with any woman, only his blond second in command. The same blond that runs to his crushed and broken body at the end. No wife, no lover no girlfriend.

In my view I believe Vidal is telling the truth. And as such I consider him my most memorable gay character.

Worf
Gads! I haven't watch Ben Hur since back in the day; I'll have to watch it again some time. As a youngster I guess I was a tad naive.

Speaking of Gore Vidal, (tangentially), I've read only three of his books:

- Messiah
- Julian
- Creation

I enjoyed all of these, especially Creation which I've read a number of times -- great historical fiction. I'm try to get to Burr.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/91/Creation.JPG/175px-Creation.JPG

Smokey
05-31-2012, 08:00 PM

Worf

Maybe Massala was a Greek :D

Have Ben Hur on DVD and watched it recently, and there is no indications that Massala might [or have tendency to] be gay. That is first time heard of such a thing. Don't know, but I'm not buying it.

Btw, how did Thelma and Louise end up in this thread. I though they were just best friends :sosp:

JohnMichael
06-01-2012, 05:17 AM

Have Ben Hur on DVD and watched it recently, and there is no indications that Massala might [or have tendency to] be gay. That is first time heard of such a thing. Don't know, but I'm not buying it.

Btw, how did Thelma and Louise end up in this thread. I though they were just best friends :sosp:

Reminds me of times when people are surprised I am gay. If you do not want to see it you do not see it.

GMichael
06-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Reminds me of times when people are surprised I am gay. If you do not want to see it you do not see it.

You're gay? You never said anything during our sleepover.

Worf101
06-01-2012, 05:36 AM

Yeah well, I'd have no reason to make something like that up. It's too far fetched to NOT be true.

Worf

bobsticks
06-01-2012, 06:05 AM
You're gay? You never said anything during our sleepover.

Those weren't pillows!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-01-2012, 08:11 AM
you're gay? You never said anything during our sleepover.

lololol!!!!

dean_martin
06-01-2012, 08:23 AM

You should watch The Celluloid Closet. Charleton Heston didn't think so which made it a pretty good inside joke. The Susan Sarandon interview segments are good, too. This thread has made me want to watch it again. I couldn't find it on NetFlix, so I guess I'll have to whip out the ol' vhs copy - oh, the horror.

You can go as far back as Marlene Deitrich in a top hat and tails kissing another chick to find a wink and a nod to the gay community. It hasn't always been obvious because of the old Code developed in the 30s, the Board of Decency that tried to control content up until '68, and attitudes in Hollywood. Subtlety was the name of the game in the old days.

My favorite character (admittedly for prurient reasons) is the female/lesbian vampire. Reading Vampires and Violets gave me a new and different perspective on this character. She had to die in the male-dominated stories of the natural vs. unnatural (e.g., many of the Hammer films), but her role was vastly different and often heroic or at the very least sympathetic in Dracula's Daughter, Daughters of Darkness and others.

GMichael
06-01-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm feeling a little rejected. Am I not cute enough?:cryin:

bobsticks
06-01-2012, 08:50 AM

You'll do just fine though I understand that polar bears are kind of a niche community...

JohnMichael
06-01-2012, 09:20 AM

I sent you some greenie lovin'.

Feanor
06-01-2012, 09:59 AM
My favorite character (admittedly for prurient reasons) is the female/lesbian vampire. Reading Vampires and Violets gave me a new and different perspective on this character. She had to die in the male-dominated stories of the natural vs. unnatural (e.g., many of the Hammer films), but her role was vastly different and often heroic or at the very least sympathetic in Dracula's Daughter, Daughters of Darkness and others.
Speaking of lesbian characters and prurience, I was hot for Sandahl Bergman as Queen Gedren who hits pretty hard on the title character in Red Sonja, (the otherwise exceedingly crappy Schwarzenegger flick).

http://moonwolves.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/redsonja1.jpg

Admittedly I found her just as hot in her straight role as Valeria in Conan the Barbarian (1982).

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/5125/266940-sandahl_bergman_large.jpg

GMichael
06-01-2012, 10:00 AM
I sent you some greenie lovin'.

That doesn't sound as good as it really is.:yikes:

Thanks for the luv.:thumbsup:

JohnMichael
06-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Let us not forget "Fried Green Tomatoes" and the characters of Ruth and Idgie. Now that was a movie.

emaidel
06-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Two very good films curiously missing from this thread are "The 24th Hour," and "Latter Days."

The former stars Scott Speedman and James Marcus. Speedman believes Marcus infected him with HIV, and is responsible for Speedman's wife's death. Marcus is duped by Speedman believing a "tryst" is forthcoming, only to be tied up and held in Speedman's apartment, awaiting a blood test. It's pretty intense, has a shocker of an ending, and is well worth watching.

The latter is about a closeted gay man, who also is a Mormon Missionary, and a flamboyant gay slut and their obvious attraction to one another. There are very strong statements made in the film about the Mormon church's intensely homophobic views. Whether anyone feels a sexual relationship between two men is right or wrong, it's hard not to feel that reactions towards such a relationship from certain members of society are pretty awful and just plain wrong. Also worth watching.

RGA
06-02-2012, 08:35 AM
I liked John Ritter in Sling Blade - even if it was stereotypical.

JohnMichael
06-02-2012, 10:20 AM
I liked John Ritter in Sling Blade - even if it was stereotypical.

I am not troubled by stereotypes until someone thinks we all fit the stereotypes. I enjoyed Will and Grace and the cast were stereotypes. Of course we are athletes, soldiers, doctors, engineers, police, artists, fashion designers, interior decorators and cosmetologists. Some of us flame and many do not since we are as varied a community as any other group.