How good is the B&W 686 speakers with Marantz SR4023? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How good is the B&W 686 speakers with Marantz SR4023?

php111
05-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Hey everyone,

I haven't been on here in years, so I'm glad I'm back on here!

How good are the B&W 686 speakers with the Marantz SR4023 receiver? I spoke to a guy at a shop, and he told me he would recommend a Marantz with either a pair of 685, or 686. I would like the 686 with the Marantz, but, however, I can't afford the 685 because I am on disability being diagnosed because the age of 22, so I'm sorry, but that would be out of my budget. Since I'm very inpatient, I believe group home is going to send a check before the end of the week because I have been really on top of them about it.

Would it burn out the shop? Or is this shop really being honest that those speakers with the receiver are a good recommendation?

I do appreciate if anyone could answer!

Thank you very much,

GMichael
05-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Seems like they would be fine. Did you get a chance to hear them yourself? That's what really matters. Take a CD of you best music and give them a listen.

php111
05-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Seems like they would be fine. Did you get a chance to hear them yourself? That's what really matters. Take a CD of you best music and give them a listen.

No, I have not heard them myself, and thank you very for your reply.

bobsticks
05-22-2012, 11:30 AM
There are very few circumstances under which I'd opt for that pairing...perhaps if I had an extremely small room and/or was unconcerned bass response.

php111
05-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Are you saying that pairing could and will burn/fry the system? I mean I believe they are listening to what I am saying, so they are going to cut the check to the shop. It's not a check from a checkbook, but rather a reprint check. A few options with a reprint check I experienced in the past. One, the store could and will turn down those checks. Or second, they will it accept it, but it will need to be spent to the print. I tried purchasing a PC from Best Buy a few years ago, and they turned it down because they said it was reprint. It depends on the dealer. That is the check that they are sending to pay for the stereo, so it would be too late. I hope it doesn't burn out on me.

texlle
05-22-2012, 02:39 PM
I paired an SR5005 with my 603s and liked the combination somewhat. The overall sound tends toward accuracy and meticulous detail but less clinical than a comparable Yamaha/Onkyo/Denon to my surprise. However, I found it to be a bit forward and very prominent in the upper range if not irritatingly so (in short- it strongly accentuated the B&W sound) but I returned it in exchange for a used Rotel which I found to be more musical and warmer. It definitely scaled back the highs but found it wasn't quite as accurate, and perhaps a tad more recessed in the midrange as compared to the Marantz. Although I am way happier with the Rotel.

I agree with GMichael- you should definitely audition the combination. See if you can locate a nearby Best Buy with Magnolia home theater section. They should have the very B&W and Marantz models you mentioned, or at least very similar ones setup in the showroom for you to demo. Even if they don't carry the exact models you mentioned, you will at least get an ear for the type of sound generated by this pairing and the "house sound" for the respective brands auditioned.

blackraven
05-22-2012, 08:32 PM
I would rather have a pair of PSB B6's. You can get B stock for a big discount from here-

Saturday Audio (http://www.saturdayaudio.com/)

click on the PSB specials for the B-stock. The B6's normally sell for about $599

I bought a pair for my son over B&W's. You will get better bass and a warmer sound.

bobsticks
05-23-2012, 05:36 AM
I paired an SR5005 with my 603s and liked the combination somewhat. The overall sound tends toward accuracy and meticulous detail but less clinical than a comparable Yamaha/Onkyo/Denon to my surprise. However, I found it to be a bit forward and very prominent in the upper range if not irritatingly so (in short- it strongly accentuated the B&W sound) ...

Yeah, my experience with that speaker is that it's a bit forward and certainly bass shy...pretty sure one can do better for the money.

texlle
05-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Well, the B&W's are more likely to be easier to audition than the PSB's, unless you live in Canada. I don't know how important auditioning is to you php111, but it's an extremely important factor of how I decide on a purchase.

I don't know why I was thinking this was for a HT setup, until I searched the Marantz and discovered it was a 2-channel. If you're building just a simple 2-channel, you can actually do much better than B&W and Marantz (well, Marantz more so) for a $1000 budget, not including source components. I'm not sure what your sound preferences are, or how experienced you are in the audio field, but you definitely must get out, find local audio shops, and audition some gear to find out what you really like.

Consider shopping the used market as well.

bobsticks
05-23-2012, 09:04 AM
If you're building just a simple 2-channel, you can actually do much better than B&W and Marantz (well, Marantz more so) for a $1000 budget...

Actually, IMO, that particular Marantz unit is a nice, lil' piece of kit. Granted it's not a powerhouse but for a 2 channel component it has some nice options and decent tone, especially given the price.

I agree completely that for 2 channel scenario the OP can get a more complete sound for his dollars, especially by looking elsewhere for speakers.

texlle
05-23-2012, 01:02 PM
So if you want a plethora of options, will be watching more movies than listening to music, and can settle with just a decent tone- get the Marantz. If you want to hear more of what you're missing in your music, get a nice used Arcam, Rotel, MuFi, Cambridge, heck even a Jolida if you aren't obsessed with massively powerful bass and 110dB listening sessions (exaggerating of course), vis-a-vis, if you want to retain your hearing.

Audiogon is your friend if you're looking to get more bang for your buck.

blackraven
05-23-2012, 07:56 PM
If you want to audition PSB Speakers, AudioAdvisor has a 30 return policy.
PSB - Image B6 - Bookshelf Speakers-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMB6)

Another speaker to consider is the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's. They are an awesome speaker, good detail, bass and good air. I might even take them over the PSB B6's. and at this price its a no brainer-
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.2 BOOKSHELF SPEAKER (PR) at Music Direct (http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15479-wharfedale-diamond-102-bookshelf-speaker-pr.aspx)

bobsticks
05-23-2012, 08:06 PM
So if you want a plethora of options, will be watching more movies than listening to music, and can settle with just a decent tone- get the Marantz. If you want to hear more of what you're missing in your music, get a nice used Arcam, Rotel, MuFi, Cambridge, heck even a Jolida if you aren't obsessed with massively powerful bass and 110dB listening sessions (exaggerating of course), vis-a-vis, if you want to retain your hearing.

Audiogon is your friend if you're looking to get more bang for your buck.

Yup. For that kind of money I might be looking for a Rotel/Dynaudio combo...or an Onkyo/KEF combo...or even Arcam and Wharfedale...lots of good options.