All the people we used to know, they're an illusion to me now [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : All the people we used to know, they're an illusion to me now

Davey
05-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Tangled Up In Blue, one of Dylan's best. Who knows what it is really about, maybe his wife Sara in parts, maybe not. Is Dante the 13th century Italian poet? What's the significance when she bends over to tie his shoes?

Anyway, that could go on and on. This is about the sound. I just recently heard the 1981 CBS Mastersound vinyl of this record, and it's a stunner. It is on the bright side like most of the other Mastersounds that I've heard, but unlike those others, this one is special. It uses a different master, one that isn't speeded up, and it sounds like less reverb. Gives it a much more relaxed feel. really suits the music. At least to me. Some of the other versions seem kind of in your face, especially the much later SACD. If you want to sample the vinyl rip, and I do recommend you do if this is one of your favorite records, click on the usual place below. Not my rip, but I wish it was. PM me if you want more.

nobody
05-21-2012, 04:35 AM
I've never heard that version, but my original pressing in just about mint shape sounds really good. This has grown into my favorite Dylan over the years and remains my favorite hungover and ashamed album of all time.

I've gotta think if I wanna check that sound clip out or not. I don't exactly need to add another out-of-print record to hunt down to my list.

Davey
05-21-2012, 07:46 AM
I've never heard that version, but my original pressing in just about mint shape sounds really good. This has grown into my favorite Dylan over the years and remains my favorite hungover and ashamed album of all time.

I've gotta think if I wanna check that sound clip out or not. I don't exactly need to add another out-of-print record to hunt down to my list.

Yea, I have a nice minty original too and it does sound good. Much more relaxed sounding than the digital versions. This Mastersound just seems to relax it a bit more, but played back to back on my turntable it may not be that significant. With a computer and headphones, I like the Mastersound rip a lot. I'll post a rip of Tangled Up In Blue from the original vinyl (and from the same rig) later.

nobody
05-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Dammit, you're gonna leave me no choice but to follow down that rabbit hole.

Also, speaking of rabbit holes...after checking out the songs you've uploaded at the song of the day link, how's that Tricky vinyl re-issue sound? I was just about to pull the trigger on a moderately too expensive for a sane person original issue, but if the re-issue is solid I may just grab that instead.

Mr MidFi
05-21-2012, 09:33 AM
This has grown into my favorite Dylan over the years and remains my favorite hungover and ashamed album of all time.

I second that. It's an absolutely solid album all the way through, and I would rank it a virtual tie with Highway 61 for overall enjoyment.

(It's probably worth noting, for anyone lurking the thread, that we are talking about the Blood on the Tracks album.)

Davey
05-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Dammit, you're gonna leave me no choice but to follow down that rabbit hole.

Also, speaking of rabbit holes...after checking out the songs you've uploaded at the song of the day link, how's that Tricky vinyl re-issue sound? I was just about to pull the trigger on a moderately too expensive for a sane person original issue, but if the re-issue is solid I may just grab that instead.

The reissue sounds (mostly) very good. I was always on the lookout for a used copy since I missed the original. Had the CD back when it came out, wow, 1995 seems like forever now, and couldn't really justify the LP, but even then those Euro presses usually sounded a lot better than the CD. Of course, nowadays there isn't even a question. But the CD in this case doesn't sound bad... until you hear the vinyl and everything just opens up so nicely, as usual.

That said, this rip isn't perfect, so I'm not sure if it's the pressing or the rig, which is pretty nice. It's not mine, so I can't check the vinyl, but the opener Overcome that is on Song of the Day starts out with some substantial noise that isn't on the CD. Sounds like mis-tracking, but might be a bad pressing. Gets really good after that's over, and the rest sounds great. Thinking of getting a copy of this one myself, but would be disappointed if that noise was on my copy. How much for a good original? One of my favorites.

nobody
05-22-2012, 03:24 AM
Cheapest I've seen a decent original with shipping is about $50 and up with many near or around $100, which is well over what I'll generally pay for a record But it is one of my favorites as well so every once in a while when I have some extra cash I consider it. Thing with this one is there's just not that many people running around with an original to compare to the reissue.