Queen of Disco Dead at 63 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Queen of Disco Dead at 63

recoveryone
05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Donna Summer died of cancer

Donna Summer dead at 63 - MSN Music News (http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=729246)

I always felt the industry never really gave her a chance to expand her true talent. Classic case of being pigeon holed into a style/format. I would like to have heard her do a jazz ballad album.

Mr Peabody
05-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Sad thing. I picked up a new album by her a couple years ago, I thought it was good, still had some dance stuff but some of the songs showed some branching out.

winston
05-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Donna Summer died of cancer

Donna Summer dead at 63 - MSN Music News (http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=729246)

I always felt the industry never really gave her a chance to expand her true talent. Classic case of being pigeon holed into a style/format. I would like to have heard her do a jazz ballad album.

perfect assessment; recovery,... and she was a Queen alright.

sometimes its just so (heart wrenching) to read about these Brothers & Sisters, who were pioneers in the music business, and in the later years they just faded away, (in oblivion) so to speak; (her version & lyrics of Macarthur park always rocks me)

RIP D S

cjpremierfour
05-18-2012, 03:25 AM
Donna Summers's "Bad Girls" was the first album I ever purchased. The girl had some pipes!

Worf101
05-18-2012, 05:05 AM
She'll get a lot of haters posting about her because she was part of the Disco era. But she was one of the few who endured beyond the fad. Why? Because she had pipes (unlike 80% of the Disco Frauds), she could perform LIVE not just lip synch and she had a sense of class. I hated the Disco era and the stupidity it produced but I never hated on her she was true artist who if born a decade earlier would've given Aretha a good run for her money

Worf

recoveryone
05-18-2012, 11:03 AM
So true Worf, but I felt she came around too soon. I see her in direct battle with Sade, both have that sultry voice. Donna just had a bit more deep rooted sound that came from the gut, where my girl Sade is mostly throat.