Avengers Assemble!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Avengers Assemble!!!!

Worf101
05-10-2012, 07:51 PM
As s card carrying member of "The Merry Marvel Marching Society" you KNEW I'd have to catch this one. Caught it last night and loved it! Feld like I was 7 again going to the "corner store" to get the magazine that was half Capt. America and half Iron Man at the time. Gotta give Whedon credit. It was funny when it needed to be and serious when it had to be, just the right balance.

The entire cast was spot on perfect. I even liked Hawkeye! I especially liked the fact that he ran out of arrows! Finally the hero runs out of bullets! My fave scene though did involve a green personage meeting Thors half bro for the first time. That my friends is how you bring the pain! Stay all the way till the end of the credits as there are two "stingers" at the end. The make the perfect cherry on top of one great ice cream sunday.

I'm sure DC is readying their own Justice League feature but the bars been set mighty damn high and they'll have to really bring their "A" game if they want to match it much less beat it! Nice nuances in Fury's portrayl as well, not afraid to buck his superiors or lie to his team to get the job done. The girl sitting in front of me joyously told everyone that would listen that she was seeing the film for the THIRD time already. That, as they say in the biz, is legs. Welp for those who haven't seen it yet. enjoy the ride!

Da Worfster

RGA
05-10-2012, 09:53 PM
The action was great - the middle had some funny moments - The Hulkster bringing the pain and the order "smash" were fun. Robert Downey Jr basically steals every scene he's in.

I guess I'm not so interested in B-grade superhero's like Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Thor. The Loki/Thor bits were painful to watch.

I preferred the video game - Marvel's Ultimate Alliance 2 on the PS3 and the story is just as good if not better and you get to play all sorts of Marvel heroes.

* Captain America
* Daredevil
* Deadpool
* Gambit
* Green Goblin
* Hulk
* Human Torch
* Iceman
* Invisible Woman
* Iron Manf
* Jean Grey
* Luke Cage
* Mr. Fantastic
* Ms. Marvel
* Nanite Nick Fury
* Penance
* Songbird
* Spider-Man
* Storm
* Thing
* Thor
* Venom
* Wolverine

While watching the movie and the terrific visual effects I still kept wanting to have a joystick so I could control what was happening because the movie's story was so-so and basically these movies tend to be a big video game but your stuck with only a few characters.

And just like the Avengers you get a cameo from Stan Lee.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Gameplay - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e7NRpc81A8)

Worf101
05-11-2012, 05:08 AM
I looked at the clip. I play flight sims and FBS, never could do third person, just too hard and too frenetic. Sorry.

Worf

bobsticks
05-11-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm sure DC is readying their own Justice League feature but the bars been set mighty damn high and they'll have to really bring their "A" game if they want to match it much less beat it!

I'm pretty sure that somewhere I read that they're opting for a "Teen Titans" production but don't take that as gospel.

RGA
05-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I looked at the clip. I play flight sims and FBS, never could do third person, just too hard and too frenetic. Sorry.

Worf

It should be pretty easy. Four heroes on each mission but you're in control of one and your eyes follow your guy and who your guy/girl is attacking while the other three are AI. You can switch between the 4 on the fly. It is more frenetic than a Fallout 3 but the Marvel Game is pretty easy after about 10-15 minutes of getting use to what all the buttons do.

DC should be able to make a movie but until then there is always Smallville - They started the Justic League in later seasons - they had Aquaman, Impulse (Flash), Cybor, boyscout, watchtower, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Black Canary, Martian Manhunter, Stargirl, Zatanna, Supergirl, Doctor Fate, Mera, Rick Flag, Deadshot,

3LB
05-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Yep, worth the price of admission, even if I did have some minor quibbles with characterizations (such as Hulk's quick, convenient and unexplained about-face). And yes Worf, that was a classic beatdown.

But for crying out loud, they've got to come up with different venue than tearing the same city a new one when by now, NYC should be the newest city on Earth, what all the movies that do the same thing.

By the same token, I'm glad some comic book conventions have been ditched, like putting Black Widow or Hawkeye in costumes. (Hawkeye's comic costume sucked). I appreciate Ms. Johanson's understated leather attire. Thank the gods Thor isn't wearing that stupid winged Viking helmet from the comics. Now if the could only fix Cap's dorky looking helmet/mask thingy.

RGA
05-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Captain America was weak. He's a pretty wooden character. Comic book heroes should be larger than life - Iron Man, Spider-man, Hulk.

I find too many of these characters to be lame duck heroes.

And if you're going to have ZERO personality like Captain America or Thor - at least have cool super-powers. He throws a boomerang shield - big deal. Snooze. Iron man is a gadget machine with one liners. Hulk is - well Hulk. Hulk Smash (I thought of Sheldon in Big Bang Theory). LOL.

Maybe it needed a Storm - Storm has awesome special effects powers. Maybe next time. Dump Thor and Cap for two interesting heroes. Or I dunno - maybe do something interesting like create a new one - you know creativity instead of retreads.

JoeE SP9
05-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Come on RGA, they are "Comic Book" hero's! If you've ever read comic books you should realize that comic book hero's are mostly neither logical or complicated. I suppose that's why I've always loved the villains more. They're just as illogical but they have more complicated personalities.

Feanor
06-02-2012, 04:54 AM
I went with a couple of family members to see this flick last night. (We saw the 2D version; might have been more fun in 3D.) It's been highly over rated in some circles -- Sorry, Worfster. Granted, George Downy sets a higher standard for his own, Ironman character. Scarlett Johansson is hot as Black Widow, but then that's her job.

Apart from special effects and, no doubt, 3D if you see it that way, it is plodding and predictable. 3/6*

Marvel's The Avengers ~ Dir. Josh Wheden

http://clients.teksavvy.com/~wdbailey/MarvelAvengers.jpg

RGA
06-02-2012, 07:55 AM
I would give it a marginal thumbs up - say a 6/10 but I just get a sense that they throw too much at the screen for the ADHD crowd - somewhere along the way that is what happened to the Simpsons with joke after joke and not allowing for a breath. Man that show fell off a cliff years ago,

The Avengers to me has some genuinely good interesting characters - Iron Man and the Hulk. Iron Man has supported two films and the Hulk had a successful TV series and a movie. I still consider them B grade super-heroes but they're top shelf B-graders.

The rest are generously C-Grade. Captain America is about as interesting as drying paint and Thor is Conan the Barbarian with a Hammer.

And when you have 5-6 of them you can't give enough screen time to everyone so the guys you want more of - Iron Man and the Hulk get less screen time for Thor and CA.

I like comic movies and I accept the thinner characters but they have to be compelling. Superman and Superman II, The new Batman films, Spiderman II for me have been the best super-hero movies IMO. The Incredibles I'll include because it was great - and they are superheroes.

noddin0ff
06-07-2012, 03:17 AM
As s card carrying member of "The Merry Marvel Marching Society" you KNEW I'd have to catch this one. Caught it last night and loved it! Feld like I was 7 again going to the "corner store" to get the magazine that was half Capt. America and half Iron Man at the time. Gotta give Whedon credit. It was funny when it needed to be and serious when it had to be, just the right balance.

The entire cast was spot on perfect. I even liked Hawkeye! I especially liked the fact that he ran out of arrows! Finally the hero runs out of bullets! My fave scene though did involve a green personage meeting Thors half bro for the first time. That my friends is how you bring the pain! Stay all the way till the end of the credits as there are two "stingers" at the end. The make the perfect cherry on top of one great ice cream sunday.

I'm sure DC is readying their own Justice League feature but the bars been set mighty damn high and they'll have to really bring their "A" game if they want to match it much less beat it! Nice nuances in Fury's portrayl as well, not afraid to buck his superiors or lie to his team to get the job done. The girl sitting in front of me joyously told everyone that would listen that she was seeing the film for the THIRD time already. That, as they say in the biz, is legs. Welp for those who haven't seen it yet. enjoy the ride!

Da Worfster

Finally saw it and have to agree 100% with you. Thor vs. half-bro
was comix gold. Good snappy dialog. Saw it in 3D and the special effect I specifically remember was Scarlett Johansson. If there ever was a reason for superhero's to wear tights, this would be it. As for the actual acting, I think she came in close 2nd to Morton Downey. Haven't been watching the Marvel franchise outside of Iron Man so I'm gonna hit up Netflix for the rest.