Sub connection questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub connection questions

L.J.
05-09-2012, 08:59 AM
What's up folks! Hope all is well with everyone.

So I have a little problem with my energy sub. The RCA input is shot and the post needs to be replaced, I'm assuming. I took the sub apart and tried to re-solder the connection but it didn't do much. Probably because I have no clue what I'm doing. There is basically just a loud humm coming from the sub making the single rca connection useless. Over the years, I think pushing the sub too far back against the wall damaged the post connection.

I can try to fix again or I can try a different connection method. The sub (s12.3) has speaker level inputs but no outs. If I understand correctly, I would double up wires from my AVR and run one set to the sub and other set to my mains? Set speakers to large and use the sub x-over?

Does this sound correct?

L.J.
05-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Your thoughts on how to connect the sub via speaker level inputs is 100% correct but I'm not too sure it would make the hum go away if it's there all the time.

If the hum does go away when nothing is plugged into the RCA jack, then you might have a shot. In such case, on the AVR, set the subwoofer to "no", or "off", and the mains to large.. That way, the LFE will be channeled to the mains. Since there will be no lows filtered from the mains, I hope they are sturdy.

Thanks mark!

Towers are Energy C-9, AVR is Denon 2805. This system is pretty much 100% music. I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

markw
05-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Your thoughts on how to connect the sub via speaker level inputs is 100% correct but I'm not too sure it would make the hum go away if it's there all the time.

If the hum does go away when nothing is plugged into the RCA jack, then you might have a shot. In such case, on the AVR, set the subwoofer to "no", or "off", and the mains to large.. That way, the LFE will be channeled to the mains. Since there will be no lows filtered from the mains, I hope they are sturdy.

What I did when I used a sub in my stereo system (albiet via line level) was to set the sub's crossover to kick in right about where my mains started to fade out, which was around 50 hz or so, This was acting as a low pass filter keep the sub/mains overlap to a minimum. Again, I was fortunate in that my mains would politely ignore any lows they could not reproduce so a high pass filter was not needed on them.

Mash
05-11-2012, 10:56 AM
If you are going to be soldering things, etc. get a DMM (digital multimeter) and measure your joints... look for ~0 ohms. RS has them and probably Amazon, too.

L.J.
05-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Thank you Mash...I'll grab one. Should come in handy & who doesn't like new toys.

So sub is all hooked up via speaker level inputs and is working fine. No hum and sounding good. I just gotta calibrate and I should be good to go. THANKS GUYS!