Microsoft cutting Media Center out of Windows 8 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft cutting Media Center out of Windows 8

Smokey
05-04-2012, 08:55 PM
http://techsurface.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mediacentre.png

What in the world Microsoft is doing? Apparently Window 8 will not come with Media Center by default which mran you can not even play DVDs even if your PC have a DVD player. I have window 7 that include Media Center and that is most fun about it. It play every video or audio format you throw at it.

I am guessing like Vista, many consumer will side step next OS upgrade.

Microsoft has given Windows users yet another reason to complain.

The company revealed yesterday that Media Center will not be built into Windows 8 despite past assurances that it would be part of the new OS. Instead, users of the Windows 8 Professional edition will have to pony up money for a Media Center Pack. Those running the basic version of Windows 8 will have to pay for a Windows 8 Pro Pack just to get Media Center.

The lack of Media Center also means that DVD playback won't natively be available in Windows 8 since that option won't be part of Windows Media Player. Users who want to play DVDs will either have to pay for the upgrade or rely on third-party utilities.

Windows Live President Steven Sinofsky said in September that Media Center would indeed be part of Windows 8, and in fact, the feature is built into the beta version. But springing the bad news at this point, Microsoft makes itself look bad and gives users yet another reason to avoid moving to Windows 8.

Microsoft angers users by cutting Media Center out of Windows 8 | Microsoft - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57427979-75/microsoft-angers-users-by-cutting-media-center-out-of-windows-8/)

Feanor
05-05-2012, 04:05 AM
What in the world Microsoft is doing? Apparently Window 8 will not come with Media Center by default which mran you can not even play DVDs even if your PC have a DVD player. I have window 7 that include Media Center and that is most fun about it. It play every video or audio format you throw at it.

I am guessing like Vista, many consumer will side step next OS upgrade.

Microsoft angers users by cutting Media Center out of Windows 8 | Microsoft - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57427979-75/microsoft-angers-users-by-cutting-media-center-out-of-windows-8/)
I'm not sure what this means. Will Windows Media Player still be provided? Otherwise I'm not sure that I've ever used Media Center.

I wouldn't miss WMPlayer. It's my least favorite player for any purpose. I use Foobar2000 for music and for video either VLC mostly, or sometimes Quicktime for compatible formats.

TheHills44060
05-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Will Windows Media Player still be provided?
Exactly my first question too.

The only reason (big reason for me) I'd miss Windows Media Player is the "Play To" function. WMP automatically picks up my WD Hub on the network and allows me to stream stuff to it no hassles.

recoveryone
05-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Third party players are more widely used, since current and past MS media player does not play well with different formats. In the past I have used Creative's Media player, J Rivers, Nero's , one supplied with Roxio Media Editor and one that came with my Plextor DVD burner.

Feanor
05-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Exactly my first question too.

The only reason (big reason for me) I'd miss Windows Media Player is the "Play To" function. WMP automatically picks up my WD Hub on the network and allows me to stream stuff to it no hassles.
Good point. Window and/or WMP are DLNA (http://www.dlna.org/) servers that support media file access to various DLNA-compliant devices on the network using UPnP. How dropping Windows Media Center will affect this I have to wonder.

I have an ASUS device myself. I'm not sure to what extent it relies on DLNA since it seems to have its own ability to access files. It does recognize my Windows Home Server machine as a UPnP source.

Smokey
05-06-2012, 06:35 PM
I did a bit of research (Google :D) and it seem Window Media Player will come with Win 8. You can stream online services such as Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, etc. But can not play DVD or view broadcast TV.

The problem with not having DVD player codec mean you can not play videos with Mpeg extension, and there are alot videos on internet with that format (MP2, MP4). And I'm guessing you can not play bluray discs either since that is MP4 fromat.

Third party players are more widely used, since current and past MS media player does not play well with different formats.

That was true with past version of WM Players. But WM Player 12 (Win 7) is quite improvment over past versiions. The only video I can not play are Ram and Flv formats. It play every other formats.

recoveryone
05-07-2012, 06:40 AM
This weekend at work my boss brought in a some bootleg movies of recent releases. We had to use two different systems to watch several of the movies and I even brought in my retail verison of MI4 Ghost P. and had to switch again. all PC have WIN XP pro, and we had to use WMP and Intervideo Player on both system to see witch one would play the movies. Just a real pain!