The Canadians are coming! The Canadians are coming! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Canadians are coming! The Canadians are coming!

Swish
05-02-2012, 06:10 AM
Today is the day Fall Girl (a/k/a Forever Autumn), her better half and Audio Bill are coming to my house for a visit. Tomorrow we head to Philly to see Andrew Bird at Union Transfer, then we have to entertain them until they leave on Sunday. :3::4::4: Should be a blast!

Here's a great song from Bird's latest CD. Enjoy!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rt8a1WMd00Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bobsticks
05-02-2012, 07:00 AM
That's outstanding. Y'all have some fun...great entertainment with great company...I'm envious.

JohnMichael
05-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Good company for sure! Everyone have a great time. Oh and if you are back in Philidelphia on Sunday morning try the buffet at the Art Museum.

Swish
05-02-2012, 07:39 AM
...because Andrew Bird didn't have a Toronto show on his new tour, so I told he she would have to visit us in order to see him in Philly. Next thing you know, she and her better half bought tickets and away we go. Audio Bill got involved later in the deal, and that's a long story. His wife can't make it but gave him the okay.

For those that don't know, my current spouse and I have been to visit both couples in Toronto a couple times, and Fall Girl and hubby were part of the group that met in Chicago a few years back (John Michael and Bobsticks made it too). That was started by Bernd but he couldn't make it because of a family emergency.

Funny thing now is that Bird booked a Toronto show! Ha! Fall Girl tried to convince me via e-mail that they were going to see that show instead and cancel the trip to Philly. I wasn't falling for that and she will be paid back for that attempted prank.

Rae
05-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Ah dang audiobill I am a bit jealous.

~Rae

thekid
05-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Make sure you stock up on Back-Bacon and Moosehead............ :D

ForeverAutumn
05-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Make sure you stock up on Back-Bacon and Moosehead............ :D

LOL! He actually does have a fridge full of "Canadian" bacon. :D.

It was a long drive but completely worth it so far. Swish and his lovely wife prepared an awesome dinner and a massive screen on which to watch hockey. Looking forward to seeing the sites in Phiily and a great show tomorrow night.

Mr MidFi
05-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Make sure they've had their shots. You don't know where these dang foreigners have been, man!

Have fun... and then have some more fun.

MasterCylinder
05-03-2012, 11:29 AM
WOW -- I'd love to see Philly.

But not this weekend..........I'm taking Tulsa Time (The Wall).

Review coming soon.

ForeverAutumn
05-07-2012, 08:24 AM
The Canadian Invasion is back at home safe and sound. What a great trip we had! The company was fantastic! Audiobill makes a very good travelling companion. We greatly enjoyed his company during this trip. Our accommodations at Chez Swish were very comfortable and Swish and his current spouse really went out of their way to ensure that we had everything we needed and then some. I really can’t thank them enough for the hospitality.

Andrew Bird put on a great show and Union Transfer in Philly is a first-rate venue. Nicely laid out and a wonderful sound system. Swish had cased the place during prior shows and managed to get us the best spot in the house and even swindled a few chairs for us old folks to take turns resting our asses on.

For those of you who helped Swish with his HT, it’s fantastic. We personally experienced it for hockey and a music video and now it has my Hubby considering our own options (YAY!).

This was our first trip to Pennsylvania and it is a beautiful state…very open and green from our experience. The drive was long, but very pretty. And our windshield was very colourful (sample below). LOL!

When we were crossing the border back into Canada, the Customs Agent asked us “Are you bringing anything unusual back”. I wanted to ask him whether dead bugs counted but thought that he might not appreciate the humour.

audiobill
05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
A Big Thanks goes out to Swish & his lovely hostess Swishette, as well as to FA & her hard driving man.

Swish reignited my love for indie music & IPA - not to mention learning to relax. The weather held out for us for all 5 days. Thoroughly enjoyed the tasty cuisine of the Swish couple and their culinary delights and their hospitality was truly outstanding! Wow! Also, hate to say it, but Swish's big sreen is bigger than mine. Nice job btw Swishy on a truly dedicated home theatre. I, especially enjoyed watching the game on the big screen. Speaking of hockey - Go Washington Go! Game seven in NYC should be a doozie.

The big yellow windshield splatter in FA's photo is real - no Lightroom or Photoshop was used - as I bear witness & this was after a thorough cleaning of the windshield at the service station. It was as if the bugs were bloated on yellow juice. They breed those bugs big in PA - just like their HT movie screens.

As I type this, of course, I'm listening to earlier Andrew Bird & sipping on a Yuengling, courtesy of Swishmeister. Yuengling aside, I wish we had as many cask & indy breweries in Canada, as we experienced in Southern PA. I already am yearning for those tasty varieties, available at the Blackbull. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Thoroughly refreshed,
audiobill

Swish
05-10-2012, 02:01 PM
A Big Thanks goes out to Swish & his lovely hostess Swishette, as well as to FA & her hard driving man.

Swish reignited my love for indie music & IPA - not to mention learning to relax. The weather held out for us for all 5 days. Thoroughly enjoyed the tasty cuisine of the Swish couple and their culinary delights and their hospitality was truly outstanding! Wow! Also, hate to say it, but Swish's big sreen is bigger than mine. Nice job btw Swishy on a truly dedicated home theatre. I, especially enjoyed watching the game on the big screen. Speaking of hockey - Go Washington Go! Game seven in NYC should be a doozie.

The big yellow windshield splatter in FA's photo is real - no Lightroom or Photoshop was used - as I bear witness & this was after a thorough cleaning of the windshield at the service station. It was as if the bugs were bloated on yellow juice. They breed those bugs big in PA - just like their HT movie screens.

As I type this, of course, I'm listening to earlier Andrew Bird & sipping on a Yuengling, courtesy of Swishmeister. Yuengling aside, I wish we had as many cask & indy breweries in Canada, as we experienced in Southern PA. I already am yearning for those tasty varieties, available at the Blackbull. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Thoroughly refreshed,
audiobill

The great pub with cask and micro-brews is called the Bullshead, not the Blackbull. It could be worse though; you could have called it the Blackhead.

audiobill
05-10-2012, 03:07 PM
The great pub with cask and micro-brews is called the Bullshead, not the Blackbull. It could be worse though; you could have called it the Blackhead.

I should have checked the t-shirt prior to posting - although Blackhead has a ring to it

ForeverAutumn
05-10-2012, 03:30 PM

Or the Bull****. LOL! The Black Bull is actually an old pub in downtown Toronto so it's easy to see Bill's confusion.

Regardless of the name, the pub was tres excellente.

GMichael
05-11-2012, 06:04 AM
Dam. I missed it. You must have driven right past us.

Swish
05-11-2012, 06:40 AM

You have some 'splaining to do!

GMichael
05-11-2012, 06:51 AM
You have some 'splaining to do!

Does, "I was building this" work?

ForeverAutumn
05-11-2012, 07:12 AM

Really? Are you on the way? Maybe next time...

GMichael
05-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Really? Are you on the way? Maybe next time...

Philly is a couple hours south of us. No matter what route you took, you had to be no more than a couple hours away.

JohnMichael
05-11-2012, 08:12 AM
GM, I thought they could have driven West to Ohio and then shoot up 75 to Windsor after a nice visit in Central Ohio. Oh well I am glad they had fun.

Great job on the play center but I could not tell if you wired it with outdoor speakers.

GMichael
05-11-2012, 08:28 AM
GM, I thought they could have driven West to Ohio and then shoot up 75 to Windsor after a nice visit in Central Ohio. Oh well I am glad they had fun.

Great job on the play center but I could not tell if you wired it with outdoor speakers.

If they took the route I show here: Toronto, ON, Canada to Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=708&wrapid=tlif133675347308110&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=708&wrapid=tlif133675347308110&um=1&ie=UTF-8&gl=us&saddr=toronto&daddr=philly&dirflg=d&geocode=KaU7xteQy9SJMXfEtCpQVTUy;KetLtdTYt8aJMcFYP ozYFPWJ&ei=ST2tT5LxMsmH6QHJs4zsDA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQ-A8wAA)
Then they were only 30 minutes away as they went through Scranton.

No, no sound system yet. Maybe later this summer. She does have a birthday coming up. And I do have extra speakers & components left over.

ForeverAutumn
05-11-2012, 08:35 AM
I am thrilled that you all want us to visit, or at least drive past your house. :D

We went through Williamsport. But Hubby wants to go through Scranton next time to visit Dunder Miffllin. :lol: So you never know...

GMichael
05-11-2012, 08:49 AM
I am thrilled that you all want us to visit, or at least drive past your house. :D

We went through Williamsport. But Hubby wants to go through Scranton next time to visit Dunder Miffllin. :lol: So you never know...

I'll let you go down Sera's slide. No wax this time.

ForeverAutumn
05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Will you stand at the bottom?

Swish
05-12-2012, 10:08 AM
If they took the route I show here: Toronto, ON, Canada to Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=708&wrapid=tlif133675347308110&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=708&wrapid=tlif133675347308110&um=1&ie=UTF-8&gl=us&saddr=toronto&daddr=philly&dirflg=d&geocode=KaU7xteQy9SJMXfEtCpQVTUy;KetLtdTYt8aJMcFYP ozYFPWJ&ei=ST2tT5LxMsmH6QHJs4zsDA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQ-A8wAA)
Then they were only 30 minutes away as they went through Scranton.

No, no sound system yet. Maybe later this summer. She does have a birthday coming up. And I do have extra speakers & components left over.

They didn't go anywhere near Scranton either. Through Williamsport then onward to the Hotel Swishsylvania. They stayed with us the first night, I drove the 5 of us to Philly the next day and we stayed overnight after the Andrew Bird show, then they stayed at our place Friday and Saturday night before heading back to the United States of Canada.

GMichael
05-13-2012, 06:35 AM
Will you stand at the bottom?

And catch you?