Yamaha RX-V1400 vs. Yamaha HTR-5790 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX-V1400 vs. Yamaha HTR-5790

Lord Nikon
04-17-2004, 09:47 AM
I can get them both for the same price. Is there any features that makes one stand out more than the other? I know that the HTR-5790 is new, but I am not exactly sure it is better. Since I have run my receiver choices in to the ground... I've at least narrowed it down to a Yamaha.

kexodusc
04-17-2004, 03:21 PM
There's not much difference other than the front face plate. You may wish to check rear connections and the THX stuff on both to verify they are the same, but from what I've seen they're basically identical. They've both got the same power supplies, pre-outs, etc. I know the RX-V650 and HTR-5760 are almost identical except for one item on the back panel, and a few subtle differences in button location and the way to operate some features.
In the past, the HTR line has had some identical models and some stripped down models. The HTR-5750 and below, for example don't have pre-outs and are a few bucks cheaper than their RX-V cousins.
I see nothing wrong with the 5790 model, all the important parts are the same. Just double check the manufacturer's warranties are the same. If they're both the same price and you're a little nervous, stick with the RX-V1400.

mufj
04-19-2004, 08:11 AM
I can get them both for the same price. Is there any features that makes one stand out more than the other? I know that the HTR-5790 is new, but I am not exactly sure it is better. Since I have run my receiver choices in to the ground... I've at least narrowed it down to a Yamaha.
Check Yamah's website in one the FAQ section. Both the RXV and the equivalent HTR line are identical. They are manufactured using the same parts. However they are tested differently. Although I don't understand the details I think the RXV line is tested in a more stringent manner. You may get more variability with the HTR line. Bottom line if you are getting for the sam price I woul go with the RXV line. If you can save a significant amount of money go with the HTR line. What is a significant amount of money is up to you

Joe

kexodusc
04-19-2004, 08:26 AM
The power ratings are tested differently, but if you were to read the product literature or manuals of both lines, you'd see that they both lines use both tests. The RX-V line is not tested in a more stringent manner, but rather it's related advertising displays the more conservative test results instead of the more liberal. Again both testing methods are used for both product lines. Yes, go with the cheaper unit.