Fyi [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fyi

RoyY51
04-29-2012, 05:29 PM
As my wife and I left our favorite Chinese restaurant today, we finally took a few minutes to stop at a "Going Out of Business" sale that has been going on for at least 6 months. The sign said "Electronics", but, once we got inside, it looked like a yard sale...everything from used clothing to HTIB systems. As I wandered through the clutter, something caught my eye...a lone Pioneer SP-BS21-LR loudspeaker. I asked the kid behind the counter if he had another one and he said: "Oh, yeah...we've got bunches more, new in the box!" I then asked him "How much?" and he responded: "50 bucks a pair." Now, I've read that this speaker is the new Flavor of the Month for the budget-conscious audio enthusiast and I thought that some of my local audio brethren might be interested. It's in the city of Orange, on Tustin Ave., just south of Green China restaurant on the west side of the street. Sorry I didn't get the address or the name. I offered him $25 and he thought about it for a second but said "no". This leads me to believe that he might be willing to dicker if the offer was higher.

Good hunting!

bobsticks
04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
I had no idea this was the cheap-speaker-du-jour. Shows you how out of touch I am...:biggrin5:

RoyY51
04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
I've seen brief, positive reviews in both Stereophile and Absolute Sound. One of them mentioned that the speaker was out of stock for awhile due to the great demand. I've not heard it, so I don't know if the hoopla is due to the sound or the fact that it was designed by Andrew Jones...or both.

bobsticks
05-01-2012, 04:50 AM
I've seen brief, positive reviews in both Stereophile and Absolute Sound. One of them mentioned that the speaker was out of stock for awhile due to the great demand. I've not heard it, so I don't know if the hoopla is due to the sound or the fact that it was designed by Andrew Jones...or both.

A follow-up inquiry on CNET and Amazon indicates both. Reads like a good little speaker for a garage system or a second system or a hoarder. :smilewinkgrin:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-01-2012, 09:43 AM
I just installed a 7.1 system in my friends house using these speakers based on the recommendation from Stereophile.

They sounded wonderful for the price, and my friend was very satisfied that he got a great 7.1 system(with a 3D television) for less than 2K.

markw
05-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I was at Best Buy yesterday and got to be alone with their speakers ans heard these (on sale for $80). They "blow away" the other Polks they have next to them and are visually stunning and solid to boot. While playing with them, some guy in a blue shirt comes over and starts telling me how much better the Polks are. OK, fine.

Doing an A/B test, the Polks are more efficient and have a very, very pronounced mid bass chestiness that seems un-natural, unclear, heavy and murky while listening to the Pioneers is like drinking a glass of cool mountian water. Noy the utmost in bass but but that's what subs are made for.

E-Stat
05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Now, I've read that this speaker is the new Flavor of the Month for the budget-conscious audio enthusiast
New age version of the Radio Shack Minimus 7 designed by Andrew Jones himself.

BTW, I'm thinking this is a speaker related post.

markw
05-01-2012, 01:38 PM
New age version of the Radio Shack Minimus 7 designed by Andrew Jones himself.

BTW, I'm thinking this is a speaker related post.It's a totally different class. It's quite a bit larger than the Minimus 7.

E-Stat
05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
It's a totally different class. It's quite a bit larger than the Minimus 7.
Box size, yes. Driver size, no.