New Rush Due Out 12 June Anybody Excited? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Rush Due Out 12 June Anybody Excited?

Jack in Wilmington
04-27-2012, 03:32 AM
Rush has a new release coming out on June 12th titled Clockwork Angels. I'm cautiously optimistic after the last few releases. I'll probably download it from HD Tracks and see how it sounds. I heard there is a tour to follow, so I'll see where and when it hits town. How do the Rush faithful feel about this release?

Hyfi
04-27-2012, 04:22 AM
Is there a Karaoke version? I can't get through a song let alone a whole album with those vocals. I finally listened to the whole 2112 disk a few months ago....and it will most likely be the last.

The music on the other hand is killer.

ForeverAutumn
04-27-2012, 05:13 AM
HELL YEAH! I'm always excited about new Rush. But I'm more excited about the tour that follows a new release. Their last few releases have been hit and miss for me. Although I have to say that Snakes and Arrows was pretty solid with only one or two tracks that I though were meh. My big problem with Rush albums is the sound quality...which sucks. And Geddy's voice is definately becoming harsher and shriller with age. Combine the voice with crappy mixing and I find Test For Echo and Vapour Trails almost unlistenable. I love their newest song, but it would be much better as an instrumental, IMO.

But Rush live is a total trip. I've lost count of how many times I've seen this band. The rumour is that they'll be in town on October 14th and I plan on being there...again! :D

bobsticks
04-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Who..?

Slosh
04-27-2012, 06:24 AM
Not interested, but the Time Machine Blu-ray sounds excellent (DTS-MA). Maybe that means they care about sound quality again?

MasterCylinder
04-27-2012, 09:17 AM
The last RUSH album I found exciting was GRACE UNDER PRESSURE.............still one of their best.

Finch Platte
04-29-2012, 05:11 PM
[And Geddy's voice is definately becoming harsher and shriller with age.

Geddy needs to see this guy: Dr. Steven Zeitels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_M._Zeitels)

Maybe the fans can help out if Geddy can't afford treatment. :prrr:

...a number of Zeitels’ celebrity patients including Adele, Julie Andrews, Anna Vissi, Roger Daltrey, Steven Tyler, Cher, Denyce Graves, Frederica von Stade, Carol Vaness, Livingston Taylor, Dick Vitale, Sam Wyche, Jim O'Brien, Charlie Moore and David Brudnoy, Paul Stanley. His patients have been strong supporters of research and education and formed the nonprofit Institute for Laryngology and Voice Restoration (ILVR) to help others with laryngeal and voice disorders. Julie Andrews serves as the Honorary chairwoman of the ILVR. Along with Julie Andrews, Steven Tyler, Denyce Graves and Roger Daltrey have been active collaborators with Zeitels to advance the cause of restoring lost voices. In Roger Daltrey's case, Zeitels removed precancerous dysplasia from his vocal fold just one month prior to his 2010 Super Bowl performance.[1]

Zeitels has also hinted at injecting the vocal cords with a secret sauce to bring the cords back to their youthful self. Sounds gay to me. :biggrin5:

Swish
04-30-2012, 03:00 AM
Rush has a new release coming out on June 12th titled Clockwork Angels. I'm cautiously optimistic after the last few releases. I'll probably download it from HD Tracks and see how it sounds. I heard there is a tour to follow, so I'll see where and when it hits town. How do the Rush faithful feel about this release?

Seriously.

Jack in Wilmington
04-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Seriously.

Hey Swish, Were you ever a Rush fan, or did your interest fade as their last few albums did? Like MasterCylinder, I started to lose my taste when Test For Echo came out. I got into Rush late when Moving Pictures came out and had to back track to fill in their discography.

Swish
04-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Hey Swish, Were you ever a Rush fan, or did your interest fade as their last few albums did? Like MasterCylinder, I started to lose my taste when Test For Echo came out. I got into Rush late when Moving Pictures came out and had to back track to fill in their discography.

When I was a kid, I liked Tom Sawyer just fine, but never got into them and don't find them all that interesting. Geddy's voice is somewhat disturbing for starters, but I get bored with their style. I really doesn't do anything for me.

MasterCylinder
04-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Like MasterCylinder, I started to lose my taste when Test For Echo came out. I got into Rush late when Moving Pictures came out and had to back track to fill in their discography.

Their first album [to me] was annoying. When I heard Geddy Lee described as "Robet Plant on acid", I admit I laughed.
When 2112 came out, I started to give them more of a listen.............then Spirit of the Radio, etc.

When RUSH released Moving Pictures, I believe they erased all doubts and captured the new fan base............with Signals and Grace Under Pressure, it was a natural progression. Like you, many fans went backward and realized this band actually did offer some good stuff early in their discography.

Every album after P/G offers a track or two that is really good stuff but not like their heyday in the 70s.

I still appreciate their loyalty, energy and longivity; they have been together a long, long time and can still put on a live show as good as any band ever could...............the power trio is the most difficult format to make good live sound and these guys have done it for a lifetime............it still amazes me that 3 guys can sound like 5.

ForeverAutumn
04-30-2012, 06:20 AM
Do you have access to the TV show "Backstage Secrets?". It's shown regularly here on a cable station called HIFI. I think it's 8 one hour segments and it follows Rush's stage technicians around on the Snakes and Arrows tour. Each segments highlights one aspect of the set-up. I.e. lights, sound, instrument techs, stage management, etc. It's really fascinating to watch and see all the backstage stuff that happens long before and after the audience is there. But one of the things that I found the most intereting is that some of these technicians have been touring with Rush for 25 years. They really do seem to create a family environment with their staff.

The show itself is low budget. Probably just one or two camera guys following the crew around and inteviewing them. But if you're into this kind of thing, it's an interesting watch.

Jack in Wilmington
04-30-2012, 06:38 AM
When I was a kid, I liked Tom Sawyer just fine, but never got into them and don't find them all that interesting. Geddy's voice is somewhat disturbing for starters, but I get bored with their style. I really doesn't do anything for me.

Geddy's voice is bit rough these days, but that can probably be said for a lot of the rock superstar groups. Robert Plant's voice is a bit rough and I never cared for Mick Jagger's style and don't get me started on Death Metal bands. But somebody must like them.

3LB
06-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Got an early copy and I gotta say, any reservations I may have previously have been vanquished. Four, maybe five great songs, two of them instant classics and no, they're not even the ones that were previously released. Wish Them Well ranks among their best up-tempo mantra songs, while The Garden is their best ballad since Available Light from Presto.

Does Geddy's vocals sound any better... no. Do they sound worse? No, actually, in fact they sound a tad less processed than the last two albums.

This album is close to supplanting VT for best post-G/P album.

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2012, 09:51 AM
I've been hearing good things about this disk, which excites me. I pre-ordered mine so I should have it in the next day or two.

Jack in Wilmington
06-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I've been hearing good things about this disk, which excites me. I pre-ordered mine so I should have it in the next day or two.

Me too FA. Got the turntable tuned and ready to go. Vacation is over so I'll have plenty of listening time.

Finch Platte
06-12-2012, 08:03 AM
I was in a small town visiting my sister over the weekend, and they were selling the new disc a couple days early. I was able to resist, as I want to buy it locally. My LRS has an insurance policy, if you don't like the disc, they'll buy it back for a percentage of what you paid.

Not sure if I'll like the new one, as I haven't liked the last 2,378 Rush releases, just the first 2,726.

ForeverAutumn
06-12-2012, 08:14 AM
I heard a few tracks on the world premiere show yesterday. I couldn't sit and listen to the whole show unfortunately. I liked what I heard. More reminscent of 80's Rush. :)

Alex Lifeson was hilarious in the interview!

ForeverAutumn
06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
So does anyone else have a physical copy of this yet? Notice the track times on the back of the digipak are all 0:00. LOL!

I'm on spin #3, but I'm at work so it's a bit hard to give it my full attention. So far the standout track that makes me stop and listen on each spin is The Wreckers. The chorus is quite catchy. Seven Cities of Gold has also got my attention.

Overall I like what I'm hearing. This is good stuff.

Jack in Wilmington
06-13-2012, 12:44 PM
My vinyl got delivered while I was working in the yard. Listening to it now. So far Carnies has caught my fancy, as well as Seven Cities of Gold. Love the vocals on The Wreckers, reminds me of tracks like New World Man and Mystic Rhythms. Just put on side 4, noticed that the sides are not loaded with music. The Garden is like nothing I can remember from Rush, such a gripping song. Next time through I'll follow along with the lyrics.

3LB
06-13-2012, 01:58 PM
So does anyone else have a physical copy of this yet? Notice the track times on the back of the digipak are all 0:00. LOL!

That was brought up over at PE. You got one of the misprints. Most everyone else has the running times on their copies.

ForeverAutumn
06-13-2012, 03:00 PM
That was brought up over at PE. You got one of the misprints. Most everyone else has the running times on their copies.

Seriously? I'll have to look that up. Maybe I can sell mine for a profit to some rich Rush Geek!

EDIT: After reviewing the PE thread, it appears that all those who received the version without times are Canadian. I'm wondering if it's on the Anthem versions only. I think it was released under Roadrunner in the US.