Has it really been 10 years? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has it really been 10 years?

Swish
04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Yes, it's been 10 years since Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was released. It seems like yesterday we were talking about this great record. If you wonder how the name of this record came to be, here's an interesting story;

There is so much backstory to Wilco's fourth solo album, "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot," that it achieved mythic status before anyone had ever actually heard it. It's pretty remarkable that the Chicago band was able to come up with music so strange, ambitious and interesting that the myth didn't overwhelm it.

Let's start with radio. Jeff Tweedy, who formed Wilco in 1994 from the remains of the highly influential alt-country band Uncle Tupelo, has always shown an interest in radio. After all, he named the band after CB radio lingo. So it's hardly a surprise that Tweedy got a bit obsessed with "The Conet Project," a four-CD set of recordings of numbers stations. (Hang on, this is where it gets a little "out there".)

Numbers stations are shortwave radio transmissions of voices (sometimes computer-generated voices) reciting seemingly random strings of numbers, letters and words. They've been around since World War I, and nobody knows for sure who is behind them or their purpose, although there is certainly evidence to suggest they are coded transmissions intended for spies.
Plexifilm (http://www.plexifilm.com)
It's the rare musician that would even listen to "The Conet Project" for fun, much less hear it as the inspiration for an entire rock album. Tweedy imagined it as a way to extend the path that Wilco had charted over three albums from simple country-rock to fussy, psychedelic pop. The result at times sounds like tuning in to shortwave radio. It crackles with static and strange noises. Some are generated by instruments and some are sampled (without permission) from "The Conet Project." The most famous sample comes at the end of "Poor Places," as a woman's voice recites the three code words from the NATO phonetic alphabet that give the album its name. Furthermore, the lyrics seem to have a recurring theme about miscommunication — reaching out to someone and being unsure whether he or she got your intended message — that metaphorically echos the mystery of the numbers stations, although Tweedy has said this is a happy accident for which he wishes he could take credit.

That's not the only unintended meaning that listeners foisted on the album. In many ways, "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" is the first great post-Sept. 11 album. The song "Jesus Etc." contains the phrases "tall buildings shake" and "skyscrapers are scraping together." Then there's the title and stark beauty of the track "Ashes of American Flags." Some critics went so far as to describe the album's cover art as an allusion to the Twin Towers, although it is simply one of several photos of Chicago architecture found in the liner notes.

Of course, the band recorded the entire album well before the terror attacks. In fact, the album would have been released on Sept. 11, 2001 (which would have made it the third fantastic album to come out that day) if executives at Warner Brothers Records hadn't committed one of the great boneheaded blunders of the decade, which is where the myth of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" really takes off.
North by NorthwesternJeff Tweedy
One of the consequences of the merger of AOL and Time Warner in 2001 was the dismissal of Reprise Records president Howie Klein — who had been a fan of Tweedy since his Uncle Tupelo days — perhaps on the very day Wilco submitted the album to the label for approval. The label didn't approve. It had been waiting since 1995 for Wilco's critical acclaim to translate into some sales, and instead of the popular breakthrough they were supposed to be recording, they delivered a dang concept album about numbers stations. The new executives wanted Wilco gone so bad, they released the band from their contract and gave them the rights to the completed album.

Wilco was now a free agent, and their first move was to post the entire album on their Web site. Critics, who are suckers for an artists-versus-suits story, hailed it as an instant classic. Labels started clamoring for the right to give the album a proper release, and the winner of this bidding war was Nonesuch Records — which, like Reprise, was owned by AOL Time Warner. And all the publicity helped "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" become the band's best-selling album.

I won't even get into the internal drama, changes in lineup and migraine headaches that were confronting the band at the same time. If you're interested in the complete story, may I recommend the documentary "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" by filmmaker Sam Jones.

ForeverAutumn
04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
And I thought you were celebrating my 10 year anniversary here at RR.

Swish
04-25-2012, 02:25 PM
And I thought you were celebrating my 10 year anniversary here at RR.

Of course, mine isn't accurate either, and I'm wondering if I can change it. As best I can recollect, I've been here since late 1995 or perhaps '96 at that latest. One of the first CDs I bought because of a recommend here was 'The Gasoline Age' by East River Pipe. I'll give you three guesses to name the person who recommended it.

ForeverAutumn
04-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Well if you're going to go by what the site says, I've been here longer than you. But we all know that you've been around since the beginning of time. Proof enough that you can't believe everything you read on the internets. :)

My first guess is Davey. Although, IIRC he didn't go by Davey back then.

Mr MidFi
04-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Well if you're going to go by what the site says, I've been here longer than you. But we all know that you've been around since the beginning of time. Proof enough that you can't believe everything you read on the internets. :)

My first guess is Davey. Although, IIRC he didn't go by Davey back then.

He went by dbi back then, Slosh went by Ms Nomer, and there used to be more chicks around here besides you.

And if I recall correctly, the first thread posted here about YHF was by yours truly. I wonder how findable that one is...

ForeverAutumn
04-26-2012, 06:44 AM
YHF was actually one of the first blind purchases that I made based on recommendations here. I think that the very first was Queens of the Stoneage, Songs for the Deaf. And YHF was next. It was a great purchase. I still spin it along with Summerteeth. And many other Wilco albums have followed. Although I'm not quite the fan-girl/boy that Swish is, I really enjoy this band.

Davey
04-26-2012, 07:13 AM
He went by dbi back then, Slosh went by Ms Nomer, and there used to be more chicks around here besides you.

And if I recall correctly, the first thread posted here about YHF was by yours truly. I wonder how findable that one is...

The first one I found was by Rae in April 2002... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF892EC.php ...but you were prominent (meaning wordy) within. Just google "yankee hotel foxtrot" site:archive.audioreview.com and there are others.

Don't think it would've been me with the East River Pipe, and definitely not before 2000, or maybe late 1999. I think cc was a fan, maybe knew the guy. Think I only have one CD.

bobsticks
04-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Look at the gaggle of luminaries that this thread has unearthed!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was my introduction to Wilco and remains to this day on the "Frequently Played" list. That said, I appreciate reading some of the backstory. Great stuff, Swishy. Thanks.

Mr MidFi
04-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for finding that one, dbi. My thoughts from 10 years ago...

"While record industry lobbyists are busy bending the ears of politicians in Washington in hopes of establishing an orwellian New World Order of copy-protected CDs and DVDs, another important battle for the soul of the recording industry is taking shape. This one has little to do with technology, and everything to do with artistic integrity.

Tomorrow, the “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot” album from Wilco will finally be released in stores coast to coast ($11.99 at BB, 11.88 at Target). For those unfamiliar with the sad, bewildering saga of this disc, a little history is in order. The album was completed and submitted to Reprise Records (a Warners label) over 7 months ago. Reprise, which built its reputation by nurturing hard-to-classify artists like Neil Young and Ry Cooder, has decided it is now in the business of selling chart-topping megahits. YHF was deemed too “uncommercial” by the suits. The dispute with the band led to Wilco walking away from its contract, and finally signing with the smaller Nonesuch label to release the album intact. Ironically, Nonesuch is also owned by the AOL/Time/Warner conglomerate…meaning they had to pay twice for the same album.

I have read two reviews of YHF, one from Rolling Stone (four stars) and the other from Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune (best album of 2001). The consensus seems to be: this album is a bona fide masterpiece from an uncompromising band at the top of its game. All eyes in the record industry will be turned toward this important release, and I’m sure many of the “suits” secretly hope that it will fail miserably. Because if it does fail, then they will feel vindicated the next time they take a hard line and say, “moderate success in a niche market is not enough…make big bucks, or hit the bricks!”

For those of us who enjoy honest, quirky, original music that doesn’t pander to the sensibilities of a spreadsheet, the stakes are high. Hell, they always have been. But if you want to do something about it besides complain, I urge you to go out and buy this disc. Even if alt/country/pop/whatever isn’t really your thing. Buy it anyway, and give it to a friend. The battle lines have been drawn, and the time to act is now.

If Wilco’s “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot” goes gold or platinum, it will serve as a strong statement and cautionary tale to short-sighted A&R men everywhere. The message: Ignore the real music fan at your own risk!"

Gawd... I sounded so earnest back then.

nobody
04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
I really like YHF, but I am still always a bit confused about how bizarre this supposedly was as an album. Outside of the transitions between the songs, most of it is really pretty straight forward stuff. And I felt that way back when it cam out too, not just with the perspective of time. Just shows how maddeningly major labels were then... and generally still are.

I think I'm gonna go listen to Heavy Metal Drummer now.

Swish
04-26-2012, 03:45 PM
The first one I found was by Rae in April 2002... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF892EC.php ...but you were prominent (meaning wordy) within. Just google "yankee hotel foxtrot" site:archive.audioreview.com and there are others.

Don't think it would've been me with the East River Pipe, and definitely not before 2000, or maybe late 1999. I think cc was a fan, maybe knew the guy. Think I only have one CD.

...same time, but it's driving me crazy that I can't remember what it was. Could it have been (and all time favorite to boot) Red House Painters 'Song for a Blue Guitar'? The time frame is about right, but I don't think it was this one. Hmmm. Let me think about this some more.

ForeverAutumn
04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
So I was right?! What do I win? :)

Swish
04-27-2012, 03:25 AM
So I was right?! What do I win? :)

You won a free car ride to see Andrew Bird in Philly next week. Congrats!

noddin0ff
04-27-2012, 03:27 AM
Seems a shame not to link to the namesake track from The Conet Project, so here (https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/1-04%20phonetic%20alphabet%20nato.mp3?w=dd3e82bf)

ForeverAutumn
04-27-2012, 05:19 AM
You won a free car ride to see Andrew Bird in Philly next week. Congrats!

Awesome! I LOVE Andrew Bird!

Hey!

Wait a minute... :sosp:

Davey
04-27-2012, 10:02 AM
...same time, but it's driving me crazy that I can't remember what it was. Could it have been (and all time favorite to boot) Red House Painters 'Song for a Blue Guitar'? The time frame is about right, but I don't think it was this one. Hmmm. Let me think about this some more.

Probably Beulah, still have that Beulah, CA shirt you picked up for me, though a little tattered and frayed now from the countless wears...

Ok, here are the answers to your questions Snowie... Swish Oct 6, 2001 2:51 PM
Dave raved about "Heartstrings" many moons ago, and I bought it. I just got the new one about a week before the show, and it's already one of my favorites of the year. Dave also alerted me to the upcoming show in Philly about 2 months ago, and there was no way I was missing it. I think their sound has matured somewhat on the new record, but they use the same "surf/pop" influences that attracted me in the first place.

Another good old thread about the 90s drug out of the archive... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF8CD39.php ... looks to benefit from Unicode character encoding. Too bad they don't have the real old archives, back in the orange days. That would be some funny stuff.

Swish
04-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Probably Beulah, still have that Beulah, CA shirt you picked up for me, though a little tattered and frayed now from the countless wears...

Ok, here are the answers to your questions Snowie... Swish Oct 6, 2001 2:51 PM
Dave raved about "Heartstrings" many moons ago, and I bought it. I just got the new one about a week before the show, and it's already one of my favorites of the year. Dave also alerted me to the upcoming show in Philly about 2 months ago, and there was no way I was missing it. I think their sound has matured somewhat on the new record, but they use the same "surf/pop" influences that attracted me in the first place.

Another good old thread about the 90s drug out of the archive... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF8CD39.php ... looks to benefit from Unicode character encoding. Too bad they don't have the real old archives, back in the orange days. That would be some funny stuff.

...something like 'getting a bunch of friends together at your house with an assortment of instruments...'

Sound familiar? It was that an East River Pipe. I'm certain.

Oh, and I forgot about that t-shirt. Ha! So many beers ago.

Rae
04-29-2012, 11:40 AM
The first one I found was by Rae in April 2002.

Ouch, not too much unearthing of decade-old musings by me, okay? My musical tastes and the frame I view music through has changed a lot since then. When I wrote that, I was twenty. My appreciation for this album lasted long enough for me to pick up a vinyl copy a few years later, but I haven't had the impulse to spin it much since then.

I always thought of Stone as the East River Pipe booster on this board, but maybe my memory is fuzzy too.

And happy to see cc's name get a mention here-- one of three RRers I had the pleasure to meet when I took a trip out to NYC to see Wilco support this very album at Irving Plaza. A very cool and intellectual dude who had no qualms getting together with a purple-haired twenty-year-old kid who he'd never met to have tacos and talk about Bailter Space and who let me crash on his floor in Brooklyn when he realized I'd spent the previous night sleeping on the subway.

~Rae

Davey
04-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Ouch, not too much unearthing of decade-old musings by me, okay? My musical tastes and the frame I view music through has changed a lot since then.

Hehehe, sorry :)

On the other side, looking at some of these old threads, it's apparent that I haven't matured much if at all. A favorite from that year is spinning as I type in Rocket House by sadly gone Chris Whitley. He left the world with a lot of good music and memories.

Some newer Americana stuff from Roadside Graves before that. And some Kinks.

dean_martin
04-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Geez, I had forgotten on which track the woman's voice appeared. Yep, YHF made my weekend play list.

Rae
05-01-2012, 06:11 AM
A favorite from that year is spinning as I type in Rocket House by sadly gone Chris Whitley. He left the world with a lot of good music and memories.

I'd almost forgotten about Chris Whitley until I was in New Orleans a couple of months ago and heard his cover of "I Can't Stand It" played on the radio. Made me pull out that record and put on "To Joy" when I got home to Minneapolis.

~Rae

Swish
05-02-2012, 05:29 AM
I'd almost forgotten about Chris Whitley until I was in New Orleans a couple of months ago and heard his cover of "I Can't Stand It" played on the radio. Made me pull out that record and put on "To Joy" when I got home to Minneapolis.

~Rae

...Scranton PA when he opened for Warren Zevon. Both subsequently died from lung cancer.

Rae
05-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Yr breath is that bad? Somebody warn Andrew Bird!

~Rae