Favorite movie songs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite movie songs

Smokey
04-25-2012, 01:05 AM
After doing a bit of search on list of best movie songs (and some that are not listed), picked these songs as my favorite.

Not in any particular order:

"Streets of Philadelphia" by Bruce Springsteen (Philadelphia)
"Fight The Power" by Public Enemy (Do The Right Thing)
" Every Which Way But Loose" by Eddie Rabbitt (same film title)
" Gold Finger" by Shirley Bassey (Gold Finger)
"White Christmas" by Bing Crossby (Holliday Inn)
"I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston (Body Guard)
"How Deep Is Your Love" by Bee Gees (Saturday Night Fever)
"Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds (Breakfast Club)
"The Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera (Karate Kid II)
"Tomorrow Never Dies" by Sheryl Crow (Tomorrow never Dies)

TheHills44060
04-26-2012, 04:28 AM
First thing that popped into my head:

<b>"A View to a Kill"</b> by Duran Duran (A View to a Kill)

bobsticks
04-26-2012, 04:43 AM
Looking over the list makes me mindful of how thw Bond films generally do a good job with soundtracks.

I liked Sting's version of "Someone to Watch Over Me".

Hearing Johnny Cash's rendition of "Hurt" at the end of Columbiana was, along with Zoe Soldano's costuming, certainly the only reason to watch that film.

Hyfi
04-26-2012, 05:02 AM
Lisa - Stanley Clarke - Passenger 57

Actually, aside from the sound effects, the Passenger 57 Soundtrack is all Clarke and killer.

Smokey
04-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks everybody.

I listened to all the songs listed and except A View To Kill (which I loved), others were too slow for me. Sorry Guys.

Elvis Presley also sang alot of great songs in his movies, but I get them mixed up since he did so many movies.

Looking over the list makes me mindful of how thw Bond films generally do a good job with soundtracks.

I agree since song have to be written with film title in mind. Diamonds Are Forever (by Shirley Bassey) is also another great song form Bond film.

Hyfi
04-27-2012, 05:36 AM
Can't remember how many times I watched the movie but the music and singing is top notch. My favs from from the soundtrack are:

8. "Bound to You" (Christina Aguilera)
9. "Show Me How You Burlesque" (Christina Aguilera)

Hard to believe the Christina Aguilera of today is the same girl that was in this movie.

JohnMichael
04-27-2012, 07:06 AM
From The Sound of Music

"Climb Every Mountain"

RGA
04-27-2012, 08:23 AM
I whistled this one for months

Kill Bill Whistle Song (Extended Whistle) Twisted Nerve - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHcsjO-lVbw)

From the same movie Kill Bill Soundtrack - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJRaRKNzFw4)

Basically Tarantino soundtracks especially Pulp Fiction -music just fit that movie so well.

bobsticks
04-27-2012, 09:05 AM
I whistled this one for months

Kill Bill Whistle Song (Extended Whistle) Twisted Nerve - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHcsjO-lVbw)

From the same movie Kill Bill Soundtrack - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJRaRKNzFw4)

Basically Tarantino soundtracks especially Pulp Fiction -music just fit that movie so well.

Yeah, he brings the quirk. There's a special skill in doing that.

TheHills44060
04-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Elvis Presley also sang alot of great songs in his movies, but I get them mixed up since he did so many movies.
Oh absolutely, some of the best ever but i'd argue that they aren't really movie soundtracks but more like songs with movies in the background so I never even considered his movies when i first read the thread.

winston
04-28-2012, 04:55 AM
the, Thomas Crown affairs 2 (Pierce Brosnan & Rena Russo, three great songs, one by (Sting) "the wind mill of your mind" # 2 (Nina Simone "sinner man" # 3 (Wasis Diop) "every thing...(is never the same).. here's the Wind mills of your mind...Thomas Crown's Windmills - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9dcv1xDiY)

great movie and songs to blend nicely with it.. stunning in blu-ray disc, and it should make the original version proud

Enochrome
04-28-2012, 05:48 PM
"Flash Gordon"'s Main Theme by Queen = cheesy heroic awesomeness

Timescapes from "A Clockwork Orange" reason I am such 70's electronic nerd.

Enochrome
04-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Lisa - Stanley Clarke - Passenger 57

Actually, aside from the sound effects, the Passenger 57 Soundtrack is all Clarke and killer.

whoah! nice one out of left field!!

Enochrome
04-28-2012, 05:59 PM
After doing a bit of search on list of best movie songs (and some that are not listed), picked these songs as my favorite.

Not in any particular order:

"Streets of Philadelphia" by Bruce Springsteen (Philadelphia)
"Fight The Power" by Public Enemy (Do The Right Thing)
" Every Which Way But Loose" by Eddie Rabbitt (same film title)
" Gold Finger" by Shirley Bassey (Gold Finger)
"White Christmas" by Bing Crossby (Holliday Inn)
"I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston (Body Guard)
"How Deep Is Your Love" by Bee Gees (Saturday Night Fever)
"Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds (Breakfast Club)
"The Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera (Karate Kid II)
"Tomorrow Never Dies" by Sheryl Crow (Tomorrow never Dies)

Shirley Bassey's "Goldfinger" is unquestionably the best James Bond theme. That one and Nancy Wilson's "When He Makes Music" do it for me.

Smokey
04-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Some cool songs mentioned, and some that goes under my radar according to my taste.

I liked Christina Aguilera's Bound to You, but Show Me How You Burlesque felt short.

Sound of Music's Climb Every Mountain was alright. Alot of good music in that movie.

I like whistle in a song, so Kill Bill whislte song is in.

Although never seen Thomas Crown affairs, Sting's "the wind mill of your mind" was pretty good.

"Flash Gordon"'s Main Theme by Queen was kind of wierd. But Enochrome as you mentioned, kind of cheesey :)

Nancy Wilson's "When He Makes Music". Never heard of that one.

Smokey
04-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Oh absolutely, some of the best ever but i'd argue that they aren't really movie soundtracks but more like songs with movies in the background so I never even considered his movies when i first read the thread.

I don't think older movies had soundtrack per say as the only way to hear a specific song was in the movie. For example, in the western Rio Bravo, Dean martin and Ricky nelson sing a song that only can be found in the movie.

It is pretty good song too:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v2ssbgThljU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

recoveryone
04-29-2012, 09:40 AM
To me the song brings you back to the movie, as that song could only fit with that movie and nothing else.

Mrs Robinson: Simon & Garfunkel "The Graduate"

The End: The Doors "Apocalypse Now"

Shaft: Issac Hays "Shaft"

Oh Yeah: Yello "Secrct of my Success/Ferris Bueller"

Stand by me: Ben E King "Stand by Me"

Ghostbusters: Ray Parker Jr "Ghostbusters"

Charlie04SiR
04-30-2012, 06:55 AM
Mine are mostly Score Compositions from the likes of Bruce Smeaton, Dave Grusin, David Foster, Lee Ritenour, Ennio Morricone, Vangelis, John Williams, John Barry, Mark Isham, Eric Serra, Alan Silvestri, Lenny Niehaus, Bill Conti and a few more.

Alan's Flight of the Navigator, Dave's Goonies score, and ohh man, Howard the Duck, Thomas Dolby, and ohh man, Rupert Hine's Better off Dead, lol!! Lots of goodies in my stable. Rupert's ballad "Arrested By You", just gives me goosebumps! Vangelis' score from 1492;Conquest of Paradise, wow! Bruce Smeaton's score from Iceman, that Shakuhachi Flute, wow! Reportedly the only time that instrument was ever used for a soundtrack.

Smokey
05-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Alan's Flight of the Navigator, Dave's Goonies score, and ohh man, Howard the Duck, Thomas Dolby, and ohh man, Rupert Hine's Better off Dead, lol!! Lots of goodies in my stable. Rupert's ballad "Arrested By You", just gives me goosebumps! Vangelis' score from 1492;Conquest of Paradise, wow! Bruce Smeaton's score from Iceman, that Shakuhachi Flute, wow! Reportedly the only time that instrument was ever used for a soundtrack.

Movie score compositions soundtrack probably desrve a thread of its own as there are alot of excellent compositions like few you, and Issac Hays "Shaft" which Recoveyrone mentioned.

winston
05-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Wasis Diop, song, from the Thomas Crown Affairs Wasis Diop - Everything Is Never Quite Enough - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK6wgua-kjc&feature=fvwrel) watch Brosnan & Russo go crazy to it ;)

3LB
05-31-2012, 08:28 AM
I like when a song is perfect for the scene, if not an odd choice, like using ELO's Living Thing at the end of Boogie Nights; the one Beach Boys tune I love, Feel Flow, in one of my fave movies, Almost Famous, as closing theme. Same with Layla closing Good Fellas.

Feanor
05-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Hey! Good call ...

Ghostbusters: Ray Parker Jr "Ghostbusters"

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iLQqYnKdeFI" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

From Ghostbusters 2, I loved On Our Own, (Well I guess we're gona to have to take control) ...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eO7NhTm6WHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>