forums got a little facelift [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : forums got a little facelift

atomicAdam
04-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Hey All,

The forums got a little face lift - if you have issues please post in this thread.

-adam

JohnMichael
04-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Looks good, change is nice.

LeRoy
04-23-2012, 03:53 PM
I like the change...easier on the eyes...

markw
04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Agree. I like the new font. It's easier to read.

Will it keep the BOTs out?

blackraven
04-23-2012, 04:34 PM
I like it!

winston
04-23-2012, 04:48 PM
NICE, good job! it looks like I'll be browsing longer without my eyes getting watery:)

TheHills44060
04-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Wow this looks fantastic!

atomicAdam
04-23-2012, 06:20 PM
thanks folks - unfortunately it won't keep the BOTs out - But I'm glad it is easier on the eyes and better looking.

ForeverAutumn
04-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Pretty.

Feanor
04-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Generally looks great, aA. One minor thing ...

I use 'hybrid' mode. The upper, indented list panel is spacing the list items too widely, i.e. the line spacing is too wide (or high?). Not a big deal but means I don't see as many list items without scrolling the the panel. I'm using Chrome on Windows Vista.

atomicAdam
04-24-2012, 05:29 AM
Generally looks great, aA. One minor thing ...

I use 'hybrid' mode. The upper, indented list panel is spacing the list items too widely, i.e. the line spacing is too wide (or high?). Not a big deal but means I don't see as many list items without scrolling the the panel. I'm using Chrome on Windows Vista.

Hi Feanor - I know the issue you are speaking about - I'll see what we can do to get it resolved this week.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Would ja look at this! This website is all purdied up.

Me likes!

Hyfi
04-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Cool, it makes reading all the BOT posts that much better

04-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Cool, it makes reading all the BOT posts that much better

Okay, we get it. You are not happy with the BOT's. I think the mod's are doing the best they can to control it.

Hyfi
04-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Okay, we get it. You are not happy with the BOT's. I think the mod's are doing the best they can to control it.

Yeah, I can tell. There have been 2 to 1 BOT posts today vs real ones.

Can you say "Freedom of Speech"?

04-24-2012, 11:06 AM

Can you say "Freedom of Speech"?

I understand freedom of speech very well. However, can we have the freedom from your constant b!tching? WE FREAKIN GET THE POINT ALREADY!!!!!

bobsticks
04-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Gentlemen, let's take it easy. I think we can all agree that there's problems with the site as is...perhaps through inquiry we can find out if there are solutions in the works.

Interestingly, if one checks out our sister sites they have exactly the same problems and, in a few instances, worse.

Hey, I actually got to moderate something between two living humans...it's been awhile :p

Hyfi
04-24-2012, 01:07 PM
I understand freedom of speech very well. However, can we have the freedom from your constant b!tching? WE FREAKIN GET THE POINT ALREADY!!!!!

If I have to read BOT posts, you get to read mine. Or better yet, don't read any of my posts.

04-24-2012, 02:22 PM
If I have to read BOT posts, you get to read mine. Or better yet, don't read any of my posts.

So now are you going to take your jacks and go home? If so, at least we get a moment of silence from your constant complaining and crying.

E-Stat
04-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Hey All,the forums got a little face lift ...
Nice work. Looks cleaner.

JoeE SP9
04-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Me likum nu look!

ForeverAutumn
04-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Hyfi, there are only three moderators here. Me, JohnMicheal, and Bobsticks. Yes the bots are getting out of control, but don't you dare criticize the moderators for not doing their best to control it.

Between the three of us, there are days when we delete 100's of spam posts. Not to mention the dozens of accounts that get deleted before the bot even has a chance to post. We do our best to stay on top of it FOR YOUR BENEFIT!

You're welcome.

Smokey
04-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Hyfi, there are only three moderators here. Me, JohnMicheal, and Bobsticks. Yes the bots are getting out of control, but don't you dare criticize the moderators for not doing their best to control it.

FA, I don't think Hyfi is criticizing moderators. He is just asking why so many spams are able to get thru in the first place. Sites like Audioholics or AVSforum use the same software as in AR, but one hardly see any spams on those sites, if any.

Maybe another layer in registration process might be warranted to weed out the spams.

RGA
04-25-2012, 12:39 AM
I like the new looks - always like to see some tubes at the top of the page. It's just glass (err class) man.

I don't understand the BOTS. Don't you have to sign up and then type in some letters to be able to get an account?

I understand spam e-mail - they just send bulk garbage to any e-mails they can but I don't get how they can get into the forums.

Maybe find out what Audio Asylum is using because it doesn't happen there - this would save the moderators time. Granted I know practically zilch about computers and I'm sure Adam is as expert as it gets.

Hyfi
04-25-2012, 02:50 AM
lol:3:

Hyfi
04-25-2012, 03:03 AM

Between the three of us, there are days when we delete 100's of spam posts. Not to mention the dozens of accounts that get deleted before the bot even has a chance to post. We do our best to stay on top of it FOR YOUR BENEFIT!

You're welcome.

FA, I have not once said a word about the moderators except for acknowledging the fact that you all spend your time chasing this crap down while the people who can actually do something about it are more worried about the stupid facelift.

Not once has an Admin chimed in to say it was being handled. Only to tell us about the facelift.

What good is a fluffy facelift if the only members posting are BOTS?

I do thank the Mods here for all the work they do.

As Smokey said, I frequent about 5 other message boards daily and not one of them has a BOT issue and I have never seen it on any of them so there is obviously ways to properly deal with it. I have offered several simple to apply suggestions but it all falls on deaf ears.

I don't remember how many years you have been here but its about 15 years for me. I watched this place go from a thriving community, even if there were flame wars at times, to a dead in the water ghost ship as soon as the V-Baloney software was used. Since that point it has been a slow spiral down the toilet to the point now where there are 10 old timers 1 or 2 newbies that posted more than a single question, BOTS, and those who join to ask a s question and the only response they can get is from a BOT so the leave and never come back.

I actually like all the people who have stayed and continue to post even tho I have never personally met any of you. I have stayed for that reason only. Do you see anything going on here? Not really.

So if a fluffy light blue border is what makes the rest of you happy here, instead of getting the priorities straight, who am I to stop Progress?

JohnMichael
04-25-2012, 03:04 AM
lol:3:

OMG when you quote spam you do two things. You make it tougher to find and you are respamming. If you want us to do our best at eliminating spam please let that be the last post and we can find it easier.

Hyfi
04-25-2012, 03:05 AM
So now are you going to take your jacks and go home? If so, at least we get a moment of silence from your constant complaining and crying.

Who said anything about going home. I plan to complain until the issue is resolved, or I get banned.

You my friend, will have to endure my crying and complaining until that time, so bite me!

RGA
04-25-2012, 03:21 AM
Wow Hyfi

That makes us two of the longest posters here. I started on this board in I think 1997 or 1998. Back before this format. I remember guys like mtrycrft and eyespy - it was a hugely busy forum - until they banned those DBT guys.

I like the new forum look but the Bots are crazy - could it be solved by not allowing anyone to have a user name with a number in it. Seems like the Bots have Numbers. Or the first letter must be a capital.

Adam is the administrator here - maybe send him a PM directly. Though I'm sure the mods already have.

Hyfi
04-25-2012, 03:46 AM
Wow Hyfi

That makes us two of the longest posters here. I started on this board in I think 1997 or 1998. Back before this format. I remember guys like mtrycrft and eyespy - it was a hugely busy forum - until they banned those DBT guys.

I like the new forum look but the Bots are crazy - could it be solved by not allowing anyone to have a user name with a number in it. Seems like the Bots have Numbers. Or the first letter must be a capital.

Adam is the administrator here - maybe send him a PM directly. Though I'm sure the mods already have.

Dude, I know. The archives don't go back far enough, I think it was 96 or 97 for me too. I bring up Mtry and his Band of Merry DBTers all the time. EyeSpy was actually really cool and we emailed a bunch back in the day.

I actually found this place from the Cable Forum and posted there exclusively for a few years before I ever discovered the Music Board. I got beat up so bad by those guys on a daily basis but it was fun and I learned a lot. At that time I had no idea what Prog was and when I asked, my mailbox was filled with new to me music in a week. This place rocked back then.

Cheers!

Hyfi
04-25-2012, 03:58 AM
OMG when you quote spam you do two things. You make it tougher to find and you are respamming. If you want us to do our best at eliminating spam please let that be the last post and we can find it easier.

Sorry about that. It was just a little too funny as it was the first new post I looked at this morning.

I really don't think the Mods should be involved at all with removing spam. The spam should not be getting through in the first place which would leave the Mods to Moderate, not chase and delete.

When do you think someone that can do something about the issue will chime in and give us an update? They obviously are not making your life any easier and I have yet to hear that anything is being done, except for the Mods deleting.

Feanor
04-25-2012, 04:22 AM

You're welcome.
I really don't have the impression that Hyfi is criticizing the Moderators; for my part I absolutely believe that you guys are doing your best. But like Smokey says, there is something else going on or not going on that is making AR Forums much worse than other sites.

JohnMichael
04-25-2012, 05:10 AM
My day starts at 5 AM. I head to the bathroom with my iPhone and start deleting spam while I void the previous nights wine. I could use the computer but I hate to turn on a light lest wake the dog. In about half an hour I have the site free of spam.

After my shower is a brisk 6:00 AM walk with my dog. At 7 AM back in the apartment to the computer for any spam that has been created. Then off to work with the iPhone to check throughout the day for spam.

Believe me I would love for a way to block spam. I am so missing a few threads that I would love to read but keep finding spam. I enjoy trying to keep the site cleaned up but I would have more fun if that time is spent reading, sharing and learning. I do feel everyone's frustrations.

Hyfi
04-25-2012, 05:12 AM
My day starts at 5 AM. I head to the bathroom with my iPhone and start deleting spam while I void the previous nights wine. I could use the computer but I hate to turn on a light lest wake the dog. In about half an hour I have the site free of spam.

After my shower is a brisk 6:00 AM walk with my dog. At 7 AM back in the apartment to the computer for any spam that has been created. Then off to work with the iPhone to check throughout the day for spam.

Believe me I would love for a way to block spam. I am so missing a few threads that I would love to read but keep finding spam. I enjoy trying to keep the site cleaned up but I would have more fun if that time is spent reading, sharing and learning. I do feel everyone's frustrations.

So what are the people who can fix the problem doing? I would rather be engaged in music or gear talk than spam deletion.

ForeverAutumn
04-25-2012, 05:31 AM
Hyfi, if I misunderstood your post then I apologize. It sounded to me like you were criticizing the mods for not keeping up with things. Believe me when I tell you that we are as frustrated, if not more so, than you are.

I think that I initially signed up here at the end of 2001. Barry was hanging out here and I remember him telling me about this place after 9/11. He was here on-line while 9/11 was actually happening and involved in the discussion going on here. At that time discussion boards like this were fairly new (to us, at least) and he found the real-time discussion with people who were total strangers very interesting. He told me about that first...then about the music. So I know that it was shortly after that time. Anyhow, I do remember the old software and the old crowd. Times have changed for sure.

bobsticks
04-25-2012, 06:12 AM
FA, I have not once said a word about the moderators except for acknowledging the fact that you all spend your time chasing this crap down while the people who can actually do something about it are more worried about the stupid facelift.

Not once has an Admin chimed in to say it was being handled. Only to tell us about the facelift.

What good is a fluffy facelift if the only members posting are BOTS?

I do thank the Mods here for all the work they do.

As Smokey said, I frequent about 5 other message boards daily and not one of them has a BOT issue and I have never seen it on any of them so there is obviously ways to properly deal with it. I have offered several simple to apply suggestions but it all falls on deaf ears.

I don't remember how many years you have been here but its about 15 years for me. I watched this place go from a thriving community, even if there were flame wars at times, to a dead in the water ghost ship as soon as the V-Baloney software was used. Since that point it has been a slow spiral down the toilet to the point now where there are 10 old timers 1 or 2 newbies that posted more than a single question, BOTS, and those who join to ask a s question and the only response they can get is from a BOT so the leave and never come back.

I actually like all the people who have stayed and continue to post even tho I have never personally met any of you. I have stayed for that reason only. Do you see anything going on here? Not really.

So if a fluffy light blue border is what makes the rest of you happy here, instead of getting the priorities straight, who am I to stop Progress?

I apreciate several things in your post, Hyfi, and you managed to encapsulate my opinion on a number of things.

RGA posited that accounts have to be finalized by the random letter verification process. I don't believe that's true but of that I am not positive.

I do believe that the new pinging process exposes us to a variety of Search Engine Optimalization factors which leads to more spam.

I know that whatever the problem is it's inherent to the platform not only of this site but it's sister sites. All one has to do is click at the top links to see that the Photo and Roadbike sites are full of threads in which the members are discussing the very same things that we are. They're was actually a discussion of shutting down the Car Forums.

Summer always brings a slowdown to the forums and I suspect the economy and frankly an inundation of truly unspectacular new releases don't help either...that said, if I were a new member planning on spending several thousand dollars on some rig I would question my involvement with this place if my first impression, the answer to my querries, was three lines of nonesensical spam text.

I have no idea if there is a resolution in the works or if the powers that be even consider this a problem. We mods suffer from the same lack of communication that the membership at large does. Frustrating. As John said, I would much rather be posting and communicating ( even in jest) rather than deleting and banning. Like everyone else here, time is a finite commodity.

Hyfi
04-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Hyfi, if I misunderstood your post then I apologize. It sounded to me like you were criticizing the mods for not keeping up with things. Believe me when I tell you that we are as frustrated, if not more so, than you are.

No Worries FA, we are still buds.

The mods here are awesome and I have never had a complaint about any of them, including you.

Again I ask, what are the people who can actually fix this problem doing? Nobody seems to be able to answer that one and Adam, or any other admin, has not chimed back in to set things straight.

A new layout should not have been a priority over real problems.

Hyfi
04-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Some of you guys must be old as dust. I'm still a noob here.

Old and slow. You have 10,000 more posts than I do. But my original post count went back to 0 at some point with the V-Baloney software change and the archives seem to only go back to about 2002.

GMichael
04-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Some of you guys must be old as dust. I'm still a noob here.

bobsticks
04-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Holy space/time continuum Batfi...

GMichael
04-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Holy space/time continuum Batfi...

That again? I couldn't figure out what you meant till I saw Hyfi's quote.

Hyfi
04-25-2012, 08:19 AM
That again? I couldn't figure out what you meant till I saw Hyfi's quote.

I'm way ahead of my time....:out:

04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Who said anything about going home. I plan to complain until the issue is resolved, or I get banned.

You my friend, will have to endure my crying and complaining until that time, so bite me!

Hyfi,
You are a grown azz man b!tching on a website about BOTS. Based on that there is nothing left to bite - you have already bitten up your torn back sh!t already.

Grow the hell up man.....let it go. It will get fixed when it gets fixed, you are not helping not one damn thing.

Hyfi
04-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Hyfi,
You are a grown azz man b!tching on a website about BOTS. Based on that there is nothing left to bite - you have already bitten up your torn back sh!t already.

Grow the hell up man.....let it go. It will get fixed when it gets fixed, you are not helping not one damn thing.

Read the other post, it's being dealt with.

Squeaky Wheels.................

Hyfi
04-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Hyfi,

That might even be funny if it made any sense at all, but it doesn't.

Looks like you were wrong once again.

04-26-2012, 07:22 AM
That might even be funny if it made any sense at all, but it doesn't.

Then I will make it more clear for ya. If you are complaining about BOTS on a audio website, you have no freakin life - your sh!t is busted up already, nothing to bite there.

Looks like you were wrong once again.

You really think your constant b!tching helped fixed the problem?. You may have be led to believe this so you would shut the hell up!

bobsticks
04-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Gentlemen, enough...let's move on. Perhaps an audio topic?

Feanor
04-28-2012, 04:46 AM
Looks like the 'number list' formatting isn't working properly, at least not in this post ... http://forums.audioreview.com/off-topic-non-audio/rules-37748-post376600.html#poststop ... assuming it's actually using the Feature. And at least not in my Chrome browser running on Windows Vista.

Still looks good overall, aA. Thanks a lot.

Feanor
05-05-2012, 06:08 AM
Another quibble, aA, is that the list and indent features of the editor don't seem to work, at least not in my Chrome browser.

atomicAdam
05-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Feanor - no problem. That is a style sheet issue we have to fix across all the sites. The new design kind of messed those up. I'll add that and the hybrid mode spacing issue to my to do lust right now.