Car 54, Where Are You [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Car 54, Where Are You

Smokey
04-22-2012, 12:08 AM
My local channel Me-TV which carry older TV shows broadcast this show on Saturday nights, and IMO this is one of funniest TV sitcom from 1960s. The series follows the adventures of NYPD officers Gunther Toody and Francis Muldoon from 53rd precinct in Bronx, assigned to Patrol Car 54.

Every charactor on this show is hilarious starting with Capt. Block all the way down to the phone dispatcher. One of the funnier charactor Al Lewis (Leo Schnauser) along with Fred Gwynne (Muldoon) went on to the TV sitcom The Munsters, playing the role Grandpa and Herman Munster respectively.

The show writer Nat Hiken won an Emmy Award for his work on this show, and after seeing this show he sure deserved it. Very funny stuff.

http://i2.fc-img.com/fc03img/Comcast_CIM_Prod_Fancast_Image/80/543/1333562447400_2x1_Overlay_590_295.jpg

markw
04-22-2012, 06:05 AM
That was one funny show. I can still sing the theme song and hear Toody's "Ohoo.. ohoo"..

It's too bad they made a gawd-awful movie out of it later when Hollywood started raiding our fond memories of things past for quick, cheap profit.

Smokey
04-22-2012, 06:29 PM
That was one funny show. I can still sing the theme song and hear Toody's "Ohoo.. oh.

The theme song is unique as it was written before JFK assassination, thus JFK airport was still called Idlewild.

There's a holdup in the Bronx,
Brooklyn's broken out in fights;
There's a traffic jam in Harlem
That's backed up to Jackson Heights;
There's a scout troop short a child,
Krushchev's due at Idlewild!
Car 54, Where Are You??

The movie version was an insult to the show's fans :mad: