3/21/12 National Record Store Day score [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 3/21/12 National Record Store Day score

Poultrygeist
04-21-2012, 08:11 AM
:3:I just picked up Bill Evan's "Top of The Gate" - pressing #1388 out of 1500. Only two selections per side on this 10 inch limited release but my, oh my. what fantastic sound.

Finch Platte
04-21-2012, 11:04 AM
I just scored hugely with a buttload of samplers, a tote bag and even a heavy metal pint glass (it's glass, not metal, smartasses).

Will list them when I get home. Thank you, Rasputin's!

nobody
04-21-2012, 02:18 PM
I didn't pick up much. Frankly I wasn't willing to fight the line that was literally 2 blocks long, being let in 10 at a time, for the special releases. However, I did grab a couple records out of the dollar pile, The Dramatics: Joy Ride and Kid Creole & the Coconuts: Wise Guy. Also grabbed a Jackie Mittoo album, Evening Time which is pretty great and a copy of The Kinks: Kronikles.

But for me, the most fun of the day, and something I may actually run back up and double or triple up on tomorrow since the place selling them is holding events all weekend and started Friday night, was the 45 case stocked with about 40 or so soul 45s. They had boxes crammed full of these for 15 bucks a pop. Great stuff, Al Green, Johnnie Taylor, James Brown, Johnnie Otis, Jackson Five, Bar Kays, Buddy Miles and tons more of well-known and obscure artists ranging from the 50s through the 70s. They're not in perfect shape by any means and no covers of course, but they all have been playing fine if a bit scratchy so far. Exactly the sort of reason it is fun to have a vintage table with all the accessories... like the 45 stacker spinning right now and shown in the pic.

Poultrygeist
04-21-2012, 04:28 PM
45's take me way back. I once had Elvis, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee on Sun label 45's.

jonnyhambone
04-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Great RSD for me...hit up 6 local stores with a couple friends. Missed the Sigur Ros I'd have liked to pick up but got most everything else on my list, and then some...
7"
Unrest 'Perfect Teeth' 6 45rpm box set - (sweet pkg'ing)
Gene Clark 45 (w/ the other Byrds guys)
Regina Spektor - 'sings 2 Bulat Okudzhava songs in Russian'
Ab Baars, Mats Gustafsson and others from the Ex - Abet?!
BruteHeart - 'Fever' b/w 'In Limbo'
12"
Lee Hazlewood - The LH1 Years
Tomahawk - Eponymous to Anonymous box set
Circle - Manner
Uncle Tupelo - No Depression
Mother of Fire - Feral Children

Rae
04-23-2012, 07:18 PM
That Brute Heart 7" is so good. Glad you got the Lee Hazlewood thing.

All I wanted was the McLusky record but ain't no way that was happening. In a cruel twist of irony I was playing the RSD block party at Hymie's on Lake St but we were on at the exact time that the doors were opening so even waiting in line was an impossibility. I did pop into the store about an hour later and bought a limited RSD Clarence Carter 7" for my roommate who's a big fan, but that was it.

~Rae

jonnyhambone
04-24-2012, 09:21 AM
That Bruteheart is one of the best things I picked up...really nice development of their sound. The other standout was the Circle lp. Didn't really know them before but it's utterly unique - touches of krautrock, 80's synth pop, and Judas Priest rif***e. Really cool- think Hydrahead has a song stream at their site and a few more copies avail.
I hesitate to say, but I had the McClusky in hand (only copy that Eclipse got in) but gave it to a friend who needed it more than me.

Rae
04-24-2012, 01:50 PM
A true friend indeed!

I'm laughing/sobbing at the forum software's editing of "rif***e".

~Rae