idea? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : idea?

pwh03
04-17-2004, 07:54 AM
I have klipsch pro media speakers for my computer at college, the speakers are the same as the home audio surrounds klipsch use to make a year ago (when I bought these) my friend has the sorrounds there fine in expensive little speakers. Anyways the way the system works is you plug the the sub (that comes with the computer speakers) into the wall then you hook the speakers up to the sub with normal speaker wire, and the sub has a internal amp which powers the speakers (35 rms I am pretty sure). The only difference is that instead of having the speaker wire hook up to the speakers with the normal red and black, klipsch made it easier by just having one little plug at the end of the wire that goes into the speaker, basically because they're designed for computers. Anyways, would there be any harm in hooking them up to my amp at home until I got better sorrounds as long as I didn't over power them of course.?

this might look familar I asked this before but I don't think I explained it well and it just wasn't going anywhere, anyways I don't see why not?

pwh03
04-18-2004, 09:13 AM
come on someone reassure me that I'm not being completely stupid.

piece-it pete
04-19-2004, 07:50 AM
come on someone reassure me that I'm not being completely stupid.

Don't know if I'd go that far :) !

Nah it sounds fine, I'd be worried mostly about smoke'n them (wonder how much power they can take?) but hey, that'd be it.

Pete

jeskibuff
04-19-2004, 08:55 AM
The only difference is that instead of having the speaker wire hook up to the speakers with the normal red and black, klipsch made it easier by just having one little plug at the end of the wire that goes into the speaker, basically because they're designed for computers. Anyways, would there be any harm in hooking them up to my amp at home until I got better sorrounds as long as I didn't over power them of course.?
The input level those speakers are looking for should be a low-level input, NOT a speaker-level input. There's probably a stereo mini-phone plug input into the speakers, so you need an adapter to transform that into stereo RCA jacks that would plug into the proper low-level output on your receiver/amp. DON'T make a connection to the speaker outputs of the receiver/amp.

At least, that's the way I'm interpreting what you're describing.

piece-it pete
04-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Hey Jeskibuff!

You know, the only setup I've seen like this had the internal amp at the sub, this guy (not "this guy" :) ) just cut the wires & poof! surround speakers.

But good point. If those speakers have an internal amp "poof" will be more a reality than a saying!

Pete

maxg
04-20-2004, 02:09 AM
You might want to ask this question on the Klipsch forum (www.klipsch.com). I think they have a dedicated section to the promedias.

From what I understand the surrounds themselves are not powered - it is the sub that provides the amplification. If that is the case then in theory you could run these from another amp by sniping off the stereo mini phone plug and making a bare wire connection to the speaker outs of the amp. the problem is that we have no idea what the impedance of these speakers is. If they are, say, 4 ohms and your amp/receiver is expecting 8 that could also be a problem.

Also once you snip off the ends you are kinda stuck - no able to reconnect to the original system without re-attaching the connector.

I am just musing but it might be a better idea to take the whole unit (sub plus 2 satellite speakers and running these via an RCA to mini phone jack connector from the 6 channel out on the amp/receiver if it has one. You could use this setup as full range rear speakers whilst retaining your fronts (whatever they are). The additional volume control on the sub would help to balance out the sound front to rear and there is no chance of blowing things up.

Hope that helps a bit (although it probably confuses more than helps - sorry)

pwh03
04-20-2004, 10:16 AM
I follow you my fronts are b&w 602's just to let you know. You are right that the sub powers the speakers and I think I could find the idependence to make sure that worked right. I just wanted to get an idea of what people thought before I did anything. I don't think I would have to cut the speaker wire though, here let me see if this is more clear

The sub plugs into the wall and provides power for itself and the speakers

The speakers connect to the sub with normal speaker wire red and black no phono plug, however the wire that goes into the speaker is a phono plug, so right now I could hook them up to my receiver without cutting them the only thing different is that instead of having the normal red black wire connectors on the back of the speakers they will have the phono plug.

make any sense so one side of the wire is normal speaker wire(the part that goes into the sub) and the other end has phono jack on it that goes into the speaker.

Assuming I can work out ohms with my receiver would I have to change anything else?

Ps. I am really thinking about just selling the computer speakers and buying a sorround but I am more interested now than anything