OLED TV due in May for $8K [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OLED TV due in May for $8K

Smokey
04-17-2012, 04:48 PM
http://www.intotomorrow.com/images/CES%202012/LG_3D_OLED_TV_CES_2012.jpg

LG Electronics reportedly plans to introduce its first 55-inch OLED (organic light-emitting diode) TV in May. The price will be around US $8,000. LG will begin its OLED TV marketing campaign in Europe before expanding worldwide. The unveiling will take place in France at the Cannes Film Festival that runs May 16 to 27, the report says.

The May launch is earlier than LG officials had originally planned, a move reportedly designed to give the company a head start against OLED TV rivals, including Samsung which is expected to launch its 55-inch OLED TV in the second half of 2012.

Ultra-thin OLED TVs feature vivid colors, deep blacks, and superior clarity, contrast and responce time that are vastly superior to competing LCD/LED and plasma TVs. As for the price tag, there may be good news for those who wait, however. The price gap between OLED and LCD TVs will fall to about 30 percent in 2013, Digitimes reports.

Report: LG OLED TV to Debut in May for $8K | PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/253055/report_lg_oled_tv_to_debut_in_may_for_8k.html)

Mash
04-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Ohhh...Kayyy........................

We should spend $8000 to watch crap TV in super-resolution and perfect color....

Am I missing something here?????

Smokey
04-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Am I missing something here?????

Your 3D glasses :D

If the technology is as good as it is hyped up to be and prices keep dropping, I imagine we might have alot of early takers. The specifications are stunning:

100,000,000:1 contrast ratio
Response time 0.01ms (1000 times faster than regular LEDs)
Refresh rate of 100,000Hz
Panel depth: 4mm

angelicaB
04-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Interesting. I love the new LG flat screen TV. It's perfect in our living room.

Mash
04-18-2012, 10:23 AM

Panel depth: 4mm

Well, now, that last specification should make 'em suitable for the deep, honest, & meaningful political discussions we have here...............

Woochifer
04-18-2012, 05:54 PM
This has been a long time coming. OLED technology has always held the promise of resolving each of the primary drawbacks with other flat panel TV technologies. Low power consumption, true colors, high motion resolution, wide viewing angle, no backlighting needed, and a comparatively simple manufacturing process (potentially lower cost than either LCD or plasma).

The primary issue with OLED has been with the screen life and the tendency for certain colors to burn out faster than others. Plus, manufacturers have had problems with production yields on smaller OLED panels.