Dropbox question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox question

ForeverAutumn
04-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Does anyone here use Dropbox to trade music files (or other files)? I keep getting messages on my computer that files are being added to my dropbox account, but I'm not adding them. WTF?

The files are mp3 files by Lana Del Rey. I have no idea who she is or where these files are coming from. I'm afraid to click on one. Each file appears to have her latest album cover attached.

Can anyone help explain this?

Davey
04-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I use dropbox to host my little Song of the Day site. The free 2G plan I use syncs to my local dropbox folder, so you have to keep a local copy in that folder for everything you want to have at the dropbox site online, If you don't have any Lana Del Rey mp3 files in your local dropbox folder, and your husband isn't a closet LDR fan, then sounds like a problem. May want to delete account if someone is sharing it without your knowledge.

ForeverAutumn
04-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks Davey. I noticed a new folder that hadn't been there in the past. That was the folder that the mp3 files were in. I deleted the folder and changed my password. I'll see if that helps. If not then I'll delete the account and set up a new one.

Finch Platte
04-16-2012, 10:58 AM
I thought the thing with Dropbox was that someone else could upload files and you could check them out. I get notices that friends have uploaded stuff all the time. But I never use it, so I really don't have any idea how it works.

You may wonder why I even responded to this post. Hmmm, can I pity-post myself? :out:

ForeverAutumn
04-16-2012, 12:03 PM
I thought the thing with Dropbox was that someone else could upload files and you could check them out. I get notices that friends have uploaded stuff all the time. But I never use it, so I really don't have any idea how it works.

You may wonder why I even responded to this post. Hmmm, can I pity-post myself? :out:

You are correct. But generally you upload something to your own account and then send a link to someone else so that they can download it. I also believe that you can have shared files in an account that more than one person can access, but everyone sharing the file would need to know the account password, and I haven't shared my password with anyone.

kexodusc
04-16-2012, 06:18 PM
If you choose to share a folder with friends, anything he/she adds to that folder will synch on your machine and you'll see the files downloading and added. You don't need to send the link, it does it automagically.