New to all of this. Need some advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New to all of this. Need some advice

Landy360
04-12-2012, 09:28 AM
So heres the deal i live in portland, OR and i have a 2 ch system. My speakers are pioneer model cs-703's and im looking to upgrade and i have about 250-300 to spend. Im considering a pair of ceriwin vega at-15's. Any advice on of i should get these or not or what I should get? Thanks everyone

Hyfi
04-12-2012, 09:35 AM
what are your source components? Room Size? Preference of Floorstanding or Stand Mount?

Landy360
04-13-2012, 07:55 AM
I am using a yamaha htr-5850 receiver. And the room size is fairly small. The pioneers i have put out a pretty good sound but hardly any bass. And im looking for floorstanding speakers. Thanks

Feanor
04-13-2012, 08:27 AM
I am using a yamaha htr-5850 receiver. And the room size is fairly small. The pioneers i have put out a pretty good sound but hardly any bass. And im looking for floorstanding speakers. Thanks
The choice among floorstanders that can be considered good quality in the $200-300 is pretty scant.

Consider the brands & models offered by Audio Advisor under "tower speakers", (HERE (http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=58&pagenumber=1&sort_on=price&sort_by=ASC&view_all=true&sortby=price%2CASC)). They start at about $500/pair, ($250 each). Unless you can find some used, this is what you'll pay for good quality floorstanders.

dean_martin
04-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Here's an option - If you use your 2 ch system for watching movies too, I'd suggest getting a good pair of standmounts now and adding a sub later. I'm not up to date on recent $300 speakers, but that's the price-bracket I started with over 10 years ago and I found several good ones in that price range based on recommendations here. I still use a pair of NHT Super Ones with a sub for watching movies and sometimes music and a pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones with a vintage amp for music only. Both of those pairs were $300. Surely someone here knows what the current top/hot options are in $300 standmounts. Also, watch for closeouts of models being replaced by newer ones. You can get more for your money. You'd be surprised at the bass you can get from a well-designed standmount (a/k/a bookshelf) speaker. Specs may help you get started (something that goes down to 40 or 50Hz before roll-off), but audition as many as you can. Also, go to a high-end dealer and familiarize yourself with the sound of their brands. This can help you spot the shortcomings and tradeoffs in your price range and decide what you can live with. For example, I'd much rather live with less bass than with a high-frequency response that hurts my ears.

You can also experiment with speaker placement. You may be able to get more bass from your current speakers if you position them differently - closer to the back wall, corners or side walls, especially if they have rear ports. Bass usually gets boomier as you get closer to the rear wall. It makes them less accurate but it may be what you're looking for.

Landy360
04-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Its for music strictly. Electronic music with alot of bass. And i already have a sub but more bass is better in my opinion. I dont really have much for room to place them anywhere else. I was just wondering if the Cerwin vega AT-15's would be a bad choice or if i should look for somthing else with my price range