Jasmine on the way! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jasmine on the way!

bajaed
04-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Should be here by the weekend. I'll post impressions after I get time to hook it up.

Real excited to finally get a nice phono stage.

bajaed
04-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Edited equipment list but it is not showing up when I post.

frenchmon
04-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Good man! Can you post pictures of that Rogue, MMF-7.1 and the Jasmine when it comes?

I think others have been having problems with the signitures as well.

bajaed
04-12-2012, 05:41 PM
A few shots before the Jasmine goes in. Btw, I had them put the "Magnum" sticker on the top plate instead of the front.

bajaed
04-12-2012, 06:19 PM
OK Frenchmon, you've asked me to post pictures since last June. Here are a bunch.

The cables are not very noticeable under normal light. They look horrible in these pictures though. Will be cleaning these up soon.

bajaed
04-12-2012, 06:24 PM
More.

bajaed
04-12-2012, 06:29 PM
My temporary solution to keeping the Rogue cool when I use it. The stool is very sturdy and most of the weight is on the back of the amp.

bajaed
04-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Cold beer on tap and plenty of tunes at the Headhunter Lounge.

frenchmon
04-13-2012, 05:13 PM
bajaed My Man!....Nice! Well the skulls kinda scared the heck out of me.LOL! I like your system man! I've heard nothing but good things about Cronus. The guys over at Audioasylum seems to love em. Is that the man cave? Looks like a place just to hang out. See you got the cold ones on tap as well! I beatcha that 7.1 and Rogue really sounds good together. I have been running in a 2M Black and all I can say is wow. Thanks for the pics. I will get you some of my gear in a few days.

frenchmon.

bajaed
04-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks. Yeah that's the Man Cave.

Those skulls are actually bottles of Kah Tequila. A friend got them for me for Christmas.

Picked up the Jasmine at Fed Ex tonight after getting the run around from them all day. Probably can't hook it up till Sat night or Sunday.

Enochrome
04-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Dying to hear your impressions and see some pics. That stage is on my short list.

I covet your man cave!!!

02audionoob
04-14-2012, 08:51 PM
I'll be anxious to hear about the Jasmine, too. It turns out my PS Audio GCPH can handle my new 0.4mV cartridge, so I guess it's not going anywhere. I actually think it's a little underrated in the forums. But the Jasmine is still very intriguing.

bajaed
04-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Hooked up the Jasmine and man, what an incredible difference. This is what I was expecting when I got my turntable. Just started listening but my initial impression was very,very good. Tons more detail and fullness. I can hear the sound from fingers sliding across guitar strings very clearly. I'm even hearing nuances of a kick drum. Need to listen longer to get a full sense of the sound but the first record sounded great.

Big, full dynamic sound. I have been told it takes a while to break in so I'm thinking it will only get better. Only complaint so far is a couple of Jazz Fusion records have been a little harsh on the horns/upper range but not bad. I always notice a too bright sound so I'm more critical of it but I'm sure part of it is that I'm hearing so much more and that is something I'll get used to. This could be the setup on my table also. Need to check the tracking force etc.

May also change with time. The users manual noted that the sound will keep getting better over the next few weeks.

Bass is very tight and crisp. Really impressed there.

I set it to MM and the load impedance to 50 ohms. Would that be correct based on the carts specs below?

I grabbed what looked to be the best of the crappy power cords from our electronics junk box to use for now. I initially got a very bad buzzing from the TV and something else when I turned the TV off. I checked and the ground had come off the back of the table. It got about 50% better after that fix. Still not good when I turn up the volume with no music but not really hearing it when music is on.

The buzzing has been there all along just not as noticeable since I was not getting as much detail before. Not too bad with the TV off.

Do you think this has a lot to do with the power cord? I'm guessing a shielded one will make a big improvement. I was told the Jasmine really benefits from a good cord.

Any ideas on how to shield the system from the TV? Would a shielded cord on the TV help too or is it from the TV (Plasma) itself?

Physically the Jasmine is a very classy, good looking unit(two piece). The twin, glowing blue Jasmine logos look cool next to the Cronus Magnum with it's blue LED and the orange glow of the KT90's. Very substantial and well put together. I've taken a bunch of pictures that don't do it justice. I'll upload a few of them.

Goldring 2400
Mounting: 1/2 inch (12.7 mm)
- Channel balance: 2dB @ 1kHz
- Channel separation: >20dB @ 1kHz
- Output voltage: 6.5mV±1.5dB, 1kHz @ 5 cm/sec
- Static compliance: 20x
- Vertical tracking angle: 24°
- Stylus radius: Vital
- Stylus type: Replaceable, Goldring GL2400 stylus
- Load resistance: 47k ohms
- Load capacitance: 100 - 200 pf
- Internal inductance: 720 mH
- Internal resistance: 550 ohms
- Weight: 8.2 g
- Tracking force range: 1.5 - 2.0 g (1.7 g nominal)

02audionoob
04-15-2012, 05:19 AM
The load impedance should be 47k Ohm, not 50 Ohm. But from what I see of the controls on the Jasmine, the impedance selector is for only the MC setting. You're correct to have it on the MM setting.

bajaed
04-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Couple of pics of the Jasmine. Not the clearest pictures. This stage looks really nice in person.

Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum,Music Hall 7.1,Goldring 2400
Jasmine LP 2.0 MK II phono preamp, AT Cables Power Cord
HK AVR 327, Energy RC-10 L&R, Energy RC Mini CC
Energy RC Mini rears, LG 60PS60 Plasma, Magnavox BR player

bajaed
04-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Got this new(to me) AT Cables power cord to hook up to the Jasmine today. Will report back after I get it switched in.

Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum,Music Hall 7.1,Goldring 2400
Jasmine LP 2.0 MK II phono preamp, AT Cables Power Cord
HK AVR 327, Energy RC-10 L&R, Energy RC Mini CC
Energy RC Mini rears, LG 60PS60 Plasma, LG50PS50 Plasma, Magnavox BR player

frenchmon
04-21-2012, 04:38 AM
That Jasmine looks tasty! Let me know how you like the PC.