New Rega Motor, glad I waited [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Rega Motor, glad I waited

JohnMichael
04-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Rega has introduced a new motor that was first used in the P324 and P5. This is an improvement over the last motor upgrade. Glad I dragged my feet but this time I think I need to upgrade. Since my Planar2 is up in years it will be nice to have a new motor.

I think I posted that after the addition of the damping between platter and subplatter there was nothing new to do. Well I was wrong. Sadly I could never sell the table since with all the tweaks i have tripled the tables original price. Of course stretching the tweaks over a decade none of them seem costly. The motor and new board is $225 and then I could purchase and use the Rega TT PSU for even better speed control. Wow now that is two more tweaks. Oh well $225 is cheaper than the $2,000 or more I would need to better the performance buying a new table. One thing I have to say is I sure have fun with my table and tweaks.

JohnMichael
04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I just downloaded the instructions to see if I can do it before I order the motor.

frenchmon
04-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Did I miss something? Is the old mother not performing as needed? Or are you just tweaking?

JohnMichael
04-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Did I miss something? Is the old mother not performing as needed? Or are you just tweaking?

No the old motor is spinning perfectly as I type and the music is sounding good. My old Planar 2 has the motor that is loosely mounted to avoid any motor vibrations getting to the record. Rega in more recent tables reduced motor vibrations so they could rigidly mount the motor. The thought about the loose mounted motor is that it could move therefore speeds can be effected.

Now the newest motor has even less vibrations so it to can be rigid mounted. Once the motor is installed I will have the chance to use the wall wart power supply or the TT PSU. The TT PSU if I decide to get it down the road will allow for electronic speed changes.

Yes I am tweaking.

JohnMichael
04-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Well I ordered the new motor today and it will be here Friday. Tomorrow I am off to Radio Shack to buy all the soldering equipment I will need. I will spend several days reading the instructions and looking at the new parts to make sure I fully understand. Monday my next day off I will be doing the install. Of course once I have it installed I am sure I will be working towards the Rega TT PSU.

I bought the table new on 08/14/1998 and it has served well.

Rega Planar 2 $450
Incognito Rewire w/install $295
Deepgroove subplatter $179
Michell Technoweight $179
Ceramic bearing $ 29
Funk Firm Achroplat $200
RDC cones Gift
Rega Motor Upgrade $225

Total table with mods $1,557

In the future another $400 for the TT PSU. Since the table has been modded over almost 14 years it has been painless buying a tweak at a time and a lot of fun. I am looking forward to hearing the performance of the table with the new rigid mount motor. One day I would like to compare mine with a stock Rega.

JohnMichael
04-20-2012, 04:31 AM
Well now the motor will not arrive until Monday. Since I have Monday off it will give me plenty of time to do the mod and give a listen. I thought about removing the old motor early but I want to listen to the table with original motor so I have the most recent audible memory. I will be playing a classical recording and a jazz vocalist for the before and after.

JohnMichael
04-22-2012, 06:22 PM
The motor will be here and I am as nervous as a pregnant nun. I have not soldered in years but I think I can, I think I can. I have read and reread the instructions. I have everything I need.

JohnMichael
04-23-2012, 12:06 PM
The new motor is in and the table is sounding good. More info and pictures to follow.

JohnMichael
04-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Here are some pictures of the mod. The first is the table without the platter and next with the subplatter taped down so the subplatter does not fall out along with the bearing and oil. The third picture shows the old motor and board. Then I have a picture of old and new. Lastly the area for the motor is empty and I have the double faced mounting tape in place and the two wires are the switch wires that I need to solder to the board.

JohnMichael
04-23-2012, 02:23 PM
The rest show the newly mounted motor and the pcb. The last is the subplatter and new shiney pulley for the belt. The soldering was the least of my worries and the centering of the motor was a little tough. Turning the table up and down to mount and check was frustrating. A stand that would allow you access from the bottom while you worked would have been nice. I also did not press hard enough for the motor to adhere to the plinth and at one time it was loose so I opened it back up and really pressed it down.

Since there have been manufacturing variations through the years with Rega I had to remove the bearing shaft and place a washer underneath. This raised the subplatter so it was in better alignment with the belt. Not every Rega needs this but lucky me mine did. Of course then I needed to remove my rubber triangles you saw in the first picture.

I am glad it is finished.

JohnMichael
04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Initial listening notes are the Telarc recording of the The Rite Of Spring with Lorin Maazel conducting is not as agressive as I am used to it sounding. Bass is better and easier to tell the bass drum from the tympanis.

Diana Krall's Quiet Nights is more focused and seperation from jazz players to the string section is greatly improved.

Back to listening.

JohnMichael
04-24-2012, 05:17 AM
After installing the motor I am impressed and would like to hear a fully up to date Rega. The more I listened last night the more I was impressed. The timing is much better which really helps with musical flow and bass lines are much easier to follow. Bass sounds deeper and punchier.

I was surprised by how loose the old motor was mounted. I found it interesting that the motor said it was a 50hz. The circuit board of the original table was much simpler than the new one.

Now I only need the Rega TT PSU which will allow electronic speed change. Instead of changing the belt to different pulleys I can press a button. I do have a number of 45 rpm records and would play them more often with easier speed changes. Of course the TT PSU will need to wait. I think I have tweaked enough lately.

frenchmon
04-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Superb Job JM!!! Nice to read your impressions....and that Diana Krall record is also a nice one. I think I will pull it out of my collection and spin it. I also listened to "The Rite Of Spring with Lorin Maazel" and might purchase it. Congrats. I would be happy to read your thoughts on your table with a new Rega in a shoot out. Maybe you can take your table into a local dealer for the shoot out.

JohnMichael
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Superb Job JM!!! Nice to read your impressions....and that Diana Krall record is also a nice one. I think I will pull it out of my collection and spin it. I also listened to "The Rite Of Spring with Lorin Maazel" and might purchase it. Congrats. I would be happy to read your thoughts on your table with a new Rega in a shoot out. Maybe you can take your table into a local dealer for the shoot out.

Yes that motor was quite an improvement. I would like to hear the RP 6 with the three point tonearm mount and the brace. Of course I would not use the felt mat or the Rega alignment. I would also need a MIchell Technoweight lowered counterweight. Well I would listen to it as Rega intended at first but I would have to make some changes.

JohnMichael
04-25-2012, 05:47 AM
Anyone who has a Rega ttable with the suspended motor you will be amazed with the new motor. As good as I thought my modded Rega sounded it is now at a different level then before. Changing motors was the best tweak I have done so far. Proof to me that the speed and stability are important. The other major tweak was the Technoweight which improves tracking ability. Now that I have correct speed and great tracking I have a very good sounding table. The other tweaks were good but the new motor and lowered counterweight are the stars of the show. I think Rega is a great company to continue to improve their products and offer the upgrades to owners of 14 year old tables.

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!"

JohnMichael
04-25-2012, 04:59 PM
One thing I should mention is there is stronger hum when the Grado is in the leadout groove. I do not hear the hum when the Grado is in a modulated groove. The hum does not interfere with the music.

JohnMichael
04-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Whoops! In my excitement and due to lack of info I did not let the table sit upside down while the adhesive adheres. 24 hours seems like a long time to wait. This should prevent the motor from moving as it has twice.

I should have known that with mounting similar to double faced tape that it would take time. I have used something similar putting hooks on my front door for decorations and bathroom doors for robes.

The kit comes with two pads one is double thickness and the other triple. My table requires the double so I am going to remove a layer off of the triple and remount. Needle Doctor is kindly sending me another double pad.

I was like a kid with a new toy but now I know I have to wait. Just wanted to let anyone know who might try this upgrade.

JohnMichael
04-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I have decided that since the table has to be upside down for 24 hours I am removing the brass bearing hub and subplatter. Since I had the hub out to add the hub bushing for the proper height I know it is easy to remove. This way I do not have to worry about oil leaking.

Another benefit of the subplatter removed is I will not have anything taped down that will make centering the pulley difficult. I may change it's oil and check the bearing. I am using the ceramic bearing but I also have a ruby and SS bearing. Also with the subplatter removed and the bearing hub out of the way there will be no worry about anything striking the cartridge.

The fun continues.

frenchmon
04-26-2012, 01:25 PM
I hope the new motor does not make trouble for you with the Grado?

JohnMichael
04-26-2012, 02:26 PM
I hope the new motor does not make trouble for you with the Grado?

I do not hear the hum until the cart is in the leadout groove. The music is still sweet or it will be again tomorrow when I turn the table right side up. Then I will put it back together and enjoy. I think I am happier with the motor's position this time around.

Here is the heart of my ttable the bearing well and down the well is the ceramic bearing and of course my DeepGroove subplatter.

JohnMichael
04-27-2012, 05:18 PM
After 26 hours of rest the table is in top notch condition. I reassembled the main bearing housing and the music is playing. I am very happy I did this DIY project.

frenchmon
04-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Congrats on your improved audio experience.

JohnMichael
04-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Congrats on your improved audio experience.

Thank you and this has been a great audio year so far. The Moon 110LP phono preamp with the addition of the Welborne PSU, the Grado Sonata Statement cartridge and the new Rega motor have added up to the best analog so far. Finding the sweet spot for the MA RS6's have added to the pleasure.

I have two days off after today and I plan on spinning a lot of vinyl.

frenchmon
04-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Thank you and this has been a great audio year so far. The Moon 110LP phono preamp with the addition of the Welborne PSU, the Grado Sonata Statement cartridge and the new Rega motor have added up to the best analog so far. Finding the sweet spot for the MA RS6's have added to the pleasure.

I have two days off after today and I plan on spinning a lot of vinyl.

Man I wish I could have had a decent chance to listen to the Moon 310LP a few weeks back when Peabody and I went to take a listen. It was a terrible audio experience we had at that audio shop and I will never set foot in that store again.

I am a black man in his 50's. When I first stepped into the store that Saturday with my Billie Holiday and Diana Krall records in my hand, the guy behind the counter saw me and gave me that look, like he wanted to say what are you doing in here? Even though he could clearly see the records in my hand. But then he saw Peabody behind me and all of a sudden his countenance changed. So he ask what can he do for us. I asked do you have the Moon 110LP. He said no and then said nothing else until I said "well which preamp do you have?" He said the 310LP. He made no move to take me for a demo or anything. So I said "can I listen to it?" So he takes Me and Peabody back to the room where its set up. So I asked what would the 110LP cost me. He tells me $700. I then ask "Do you price match" and he says no. So then I asked the guy to put on my Billie Holiday album. So he fires up the rig and it sounded horrible! Even Peabody knew it. Everything was too warm and no excitement what so ever! Now the rig sounded like a total mismatch in gear. A Clear Audio Concept TT With the matching Concept Cartridge. That cart was very warm and too laid back. The intergraded amp was the Octave tube integrated amp, which is warm natured but not a bad integrated amp with the right speakers. But this night it had the wrong speakers. It had the Dynaudio C 1's. Now they are not a bad speaker with the right amp, but too me they are not a good match with the Octave because both being warm, with that warm laid back cart just destroyed any good sound. The 310 LP did not have a chance to shine. So after a few more spins we decided to go to another room which had music coming from it. By this time the sells man left us and was assisting someone whom he thought had a better chance of buying it seems.

In the other room was Simaudio amps, and a Simaudio CDP driving Focal speakers...no warm sound at all.

So we left there and went to one of the local audio dealers house who decided to pick up Onkyo audio and Monitor audio gear. Brand new in the box he set up Onkyos new seprates...
The New power amp M-5000R, the New CDP C-7000R and the new preamp the P-3000R Reference | Product Line | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products (http://www.us.onkyo.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Reference&Source=hdrmenu)

Let me tell ya...this was some handsome looking gear. He also had the PRO-JECT RM-5.1 SE with a Blue Point No.2 cart. And he had the Monitor Audio GX 100's. Well it kicked the gear we heard at the audio shop in the balls! I mean if some one wanted a very good nice priced rig, that was it! And the Monitor Audio GX 100's I cant say enough good things about them! And that ribbon tweeter reminds me of that outstanding tweeter on the Golden Ear speakers. Its a really nice tweeter.

Then a few days later I did something I never do...I found a 2 month old Rogue Audio Stealth Magnum on Audiogon for $600. Man I whipped out my CC which is what I never do, and purchased it from the guy on audiogon, which is something else I never do! So I sent the guy my $600 through Paypal and he received it and I got my receipt showing it was paid for. Now this was on a Tuesday. So I email the guy who is in California and he said he would send it Fedx on Thursday because he had to go out of town on Wendsday. I said ok. But on Wendsday the guy emails me saying he found a better deal and was going with that. And that he was refunding my money. I emailed him 3 times to tell him that was unethical but he did not care. I filed a complaint with Audiogon and they found the seller guilty and I was given permission to write a negative feed back.

That was my first and last time doing business with audiogon. So I noticed that Rogue has a new phono stage out, the Rogue Triton phono amp. So I called up Rogue and they said they are fazing out the Stealth and told me the Triton is already realeased for sell and that it was even better than the Steath Magnum version at a cheaper price than the magnum version at $995. So I will order that next month.

frenchmon
04-28-2012, 01:00 PM
By the way JM...if you have not already bought this album, you would do yourself a favor by getting it. Its the best I've ever heard Billie on Vinyl. They did about as best as they could in cleaning it up and its fantastic!

Billie Holiday-Songs For Distingu Lovers-200 Gram Vinyl Record | Acoustic Sounds (http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/6872/Billie_Holiday-Songs_For_Distingu_Lovers-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record)

JohnMichael
04-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Frenchmon I should start by telling you that Music Direct has another Moon 110LP demo model. Sadly a bad demo can ruin your interest in a product. Sounds like the Rogue Triton may be just what you need.

Sorry you experienced disrespect by a clerk. I find it hard to believe that people still treat others that way. I was in an audio shop one day and the clerk asked if I liked Joe Jackson and I do so he put in the Stepping Out cd. You can imagine the track he selected. Why he felt the need to let me know what he thought I was other than an audio customer made me angry. I never went back in that store again.

I also find it suspect that he was going to sell you the 110LP at $100 over MSRP. Very much a place to avoid.

I look forward to reading your impressions of the Rogue. I know they build tube equipment but their last phono preamp was solid state. Is the new preamp still solid state?

frenchmon
04-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Yes the new Rogue phono stage is ss. I dont want a tube phono amp seeing I have a tubed preamp. I also heard that some tubed phono amps have more chances of noise due to the tubes.

I decided to go with the Rogue because I have had my eye on the Stealth for so long. The guy was rude but I am use to it by now, but I don't have to put up with it. I just can't understand why some people have to be so stupid in business.

I work in IT and we have lots of clients all over the USA because we install, monitor and repair networks all over the USA. Before we dispatch a tech to a sight, we try and remote into the network to solve the problem. Well the clients call us daily because networks go down some times. Its software related most of the time and not hardware related. Clients call us and most of them are as nasty and rude as can be. So I have developed a think skin when it comes to insults.

JohnMichael
04-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I have always worked with the public. I have managed small retail establishments to patient care where it was my compressions keeping someone alive on their way to surgery for a pacemaker. Then in management for Support Services and to my current position of in home caregiver I have needed to be thick skinned.

Now after working hard to give good care I expect a little for myself and friends. I tend to be thin skinned since I am looking for a little of what I have given to come back to me.

So I guess I am thick skinned at work and thin skinned in my off times.

JohnMichael
05-05-2012, 11:06 AM
I had a few struggles with the motor instalation. The soldering was the least of the challenges. Centering the motor pulley in the cutout of the plinth and getting the adhesive pad to stick to the plinth were my problems.

I decided to solve the pad problem by cleaning and then coating the old surface. The wood glue smoothed the surface and gave a less porous surface for the pad to stick. I applied a little wood glue and used my finger to spread it around. Before it dried the wood glue smoothed further. After 24 hours I was ready to try the pad.

I had an idea before I applied the pad. The motor mount had two screw holes as did the plinth. I placed the motor without pad and lined up the holes then traced around it. I lifted the motor out of the way and had my outline to use for pad placement. I also knew if the pad was correct when the motor is set directly on the pad the pulley is centered in the plinth cutout.

This time when I peeled back the paper layer over the adhesive and placed the pad in the outline. It was obvious how well the pad was working this time. I put the motor over the pad before I exposed the adhesive and assured myself that the motor would center. It did so I attached the motor about 4 hours after I first placed the pad in the plinth. I wanted to let the adhesive pad adhere before I mounted the motor in case I had to pull the motor apart and reseat it.

I think I have all my troubles solved. Looking forward to another 14 years of vinyl.

frenchmon
05-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Good for you JM! I hope it all works out for you. On another note...I guess the 110lp must be a hot seller....did you notice it went up in price?

JohnMichael
05-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Good for you JM! I hope it all works out for you. On another note...I guess the 110lp must be a hot seller....did you notice it went up in price?

Music Direct is selling a new 110LP for $599 and that is the only price I have seen for it. I remember the LP3 sold for $500. Have you found it selling higher somewhere?

frenchmon
05-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Music Direct is selling a new 110LP for $599 and that is the only price I have seen for it. I remember the LP3 sold for $500. Have you found it selling higher somewhere?

Well from what I understand gear goes up in price if its new and selling really well after a lower introductory price. This is whats listed at Music direct now.

SIMAUDIO MOON - 110LP SILVER PHONO PREAMP

Price: $649.99

SIMAUDIO MOON 110LP SILVER PHONO PREAMP at Music Direct (http://www.musicdirect.com/p-16131-simaudio-moon-110lp-silver-phono-preamp.aspx)

JohnMichael
05-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Well from what I understand gear goes up in price if its new and selling really well after a lower introductory price. This is whats listed at Music direct now.

SIMAUDIO MOON - 110LP SILVER PHONO PREAMP

Price: $649.99

SIMAUDIO MOON 110LP SILVER PHONO PREAMP at Music Direct (http://www.musicdirect.com/p-16131-simaudio-moon-110lp-silver-phono-preamp.aspx)

I just received a catalog from them and the price is $599. I wonder if they offer that price to past customers.

frenchmon
05-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I just received a catalog from them and the price is $599. I wonder if they offer that price to past customers.

Yeah I also get their catalogs. But I do know when a person calls and want to make a purchase, it is possible to haggle a better price.

JohnMichael
05-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Well the motor separated from the plinth again. I am trying one more thing before I screw the motor down. I think a VPI Traveler or Clearaudio concept is in my near future.

frenchmon
05-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Well the motor separated from the plinth again. I am trying one more thing before I screw the motor down. I think a VPI Traveler or Clearaudio concept is in my near future.

I would have thought you would go for that new Rega 6. But of the two, I would go for the Clearaudio Concept minus the Concept cart.

JohnMichael
05-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Well last night I gave another coating of wood glue. On the way home I stopped at the local hardware store for some screws, washers and nuts. If this second treatment does not work it will be bolted down.

When I reapplied the motor it only took a few seconds for the motor to stick so well I could not adjust it. This may be a good sign. If it loosens again out comes the hardware.

This has been an incredibly good sounding tweak but a big pain in the A$$.

frenchmon
05-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Well last night I gave another coating of wood glue. On the way home I stopped at the local hardware store for some screws, washers and nuts. If this second treatment does not work it will be bolted down.

When I reapplied the motor it only took a few seconds for the motor to stick so well I could not adjust it. This may be a good sign. If it loosens again out comes the hardware.

Well that is a good sign. I hope it works out this time.

JohnMichael
05-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Well that is a good sign. I hope it works out this time.

Thank you. It sounds good when it is working and I hope it will work for more than two days at a time. My Rega was very dependable until I decided it needed the new motor. If it stays fixed this time it will take months before I fully trust it again.

I am going to write to Rega and Needle Doctor and share the problems I had. I do not know if it is the age of my table or the materials they used at the time. It has been an easy tweak other than the pad not working as advertised. It sounded so easy in the instructions.

Enochrome
05-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Dude, your Rega sounds like my Thorens. I spent so much time fixing the dominoes of problems that eventually I threw in the towel and paid my local hifi shop 200 to fix the damn thing. It plays well now but I have to admit that there is a little bitter taste in my mouth.

I know how you feel and I really do hope this is the fix for you so you can listen to those great tunes hassle free.

JohnMichael
05-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Dude, your Rega sounds like my Thorens. I spent so much time fixing the dominoes of problems that eventually I threw in the towel and paid my local hifi shop 200 to fix the damn thing. It plays well now but I have to admit that there is a little bitter taste in my mouth.

I know how you feel and I really do hope this is the fix for you so you can listen to those great tunes hassle free.

Thanks and I do think it is fixed. The last two nights I have been spinning vinyl without a problem. I checked this morning and the pulley was where it should be. When it was not secure the motor would have pulled away the first evening. Once I trust my self installed upgrade it will be time for the TT PSU.

JohnMichael
05-14-2012, 05:40 AM
The motor is still attached which makes me happy. I learned much installing the new motor. I learned that Rega's tables vary through the years. The instructions mentioned this but some of the recommendations for my table were not correct.

You had the choice between a double thick pad or a triple thick one. This would vary the pulley height so the belt will align with the subplatter. Of course you had both positions of the pulley to judge. To choose the pad you were supposed to place it between the motor and plinth before you took off the paper covers. I found it tough to eyeball the pulley and subplatter with the motor being held in place. I used the double thick pad as recommended but the triple pad might have worked better.

Since I used the double thick pad I needed to use the washer to raise the bearing well so the belt would not rise up to high on the subplatter. I decided to check how the table would work without the washer and found that the platter would now scrape the underside of the platter.

When the platter is elevated the tonearm barely clears the record when you cue a record. I decided to put the 2mm spacer under the tonearm base due to my fears of moving the arm and scraping the needle across a record or bending a cantilever.

If I had to do it again I would use the triple thick pad. Then I would not need the washer and the spacer. The arm height I am using is better soundstaging with a slight loss in bass. Overall it is sounding good and the motor is staying put and now I am glad I did it. I still think the instructions could be better detailed.

JohnMichael
05-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Now that the motor is secure I am planning the purchase of the Rega TT PSU. I do not expect the level of improvement the new motor created but I may be surprised. I have been impressed with other power supply upgrades in my system and hope to be as impressed. What I am looking forward to most is the ability to change speeds at the touch of a button.

I will be glad not to have to stretch the belt over the larger pulley. I will play my 45rpm records more often. I will even buy some of the new 45rpm pressings. Oh hell and I love to tweak my Rega.

frenchmon
05-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Now that the motor is secure I am planning the purchase of the Rega TT PSU. I do not expect the level of improvement the new motor created but I may be surprised. I have been impressed with other power supply upgrades in my system and hope to be as impressed. What I am looking forward to most is the ability to change speeds at the touch of a button.

I will be glad not to have to stretch the belt over the larger pulley. I will play my 45rpm records more often. I will even buy some of the new 45rpm pressings. Oh hell and I love to tweak my Rega.

Hahahaha...glad its working out for you.

JohnMichael
05-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Hahahaha...glad its working out for you.

It is working but I plan on avoiding do it yourself tweaks in the future. Luckily the TT PSU is plug and play.

Any suggestions for good jazz reissues in the 45rpm class?

Enochrome
05-15-2012, 08:32 AM
It is working but I plan on avoiding do it yourself tweaks in the future. Luckily the TT PSU is plug and play.

The Black Lion jazz label just got rereleased and they have limited edition 45 speed releases of their stuff. The label was highly regarded when I use to work at Rhino Records. I think it sells through
either Music Direct or Elusive Disc.

frenchmon
05-15-2012, 04:18 PM

Heres the Black Lion new releases Enochrome is speaking of. They even have some that have 33 and 45 RMP in one packaged price....limited editions. But they have yet to be released so keep an eye on the dates and order fast, they may not be around long. BLACK LION RECORDS at Music Direct (http://www.musicdirect.com/m-1126-black-lion-records.aspx)

This is also a good one that I have...I don't know if its the 2M Black or the way they remastered the Ella album but its truly holographic. Also JM, im sure you caught the name of the album "Fine and Mellow". That is the song Billie Holiday wrote, one of the very few she did write all by her self. Ella sounds really good singing it, but you know, once Billie sings a song...any song, all others who sing that song don't stand a chance. Also check out the band she has...excellent.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/medium/AJAZ_2310-829__16902__01152009113829-9216.jpg

This one I have on 33 RPM, but its being released on 45 RPM May 18. The 33 RPM is absolutly stunning! I have been bragging about it for a few months now and Poultrygeist purchased it and he agrees its outstanding the way they cleaned it up and remastered it. I have never heard Billie so up close and personal. JM, I know you are a Billie Holiday fan, you wont go wrong with this one...and she is supported by an all star jazz band.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/medium/AVRJ_6021-45__67263__04242012084914-1792.jpg

If you can find this one Frank Sanatra at the Sands, with the Count Basie orchestra ...snatch it as soon as possible. Very hard to find in stock on vinyl, and when they realease a new batch no matter if 33 or 45, its gone as quick as you can bat an eye.

http://images.junostatic.com/150/CS402006-01A.jpg

JohnMichael
05-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Heres the Black Lion new releases Enochrome is speaking of. They even have some that have 33 and 45 RMP in one packaged price....limited editions. But they have yet to be released so keep an eye on the dates and order fast, they may not be around long. BLACK LION RECORDS at Music Direct (http://www.musicdirect.com/m-1126-black-lion-records.aspx)

This is also a good one that I have...I don't know if its the 2M Black or the way they remastered the Ella album but its truly holographic. Also JM, im sure you caught the name of the album "Fine and Mellow". That is the song Billie Holiday wrote, one of the very few she did write all by her self. Ella sounds really good singing it, but you know, once Billie sings a song...any song, all others who sing that song don't stand a chance. Also check out the band she has...excellent.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/medium/AJAZ_2310-829__16902__01152009113829-9216.jpg

This one I have on 33 RPM, but its being released on 45 RPM May 18. The 33 RPM is absolutly stunning! I have been bragging about it for a few months now and Poultrygeist purchased it and he agrees its outstanding the way they cleaned it up and remastered it. I have never heard Billie so up close and personal. JM, I know you are a Billie Holiday fan, you wont go wrong with this one...and she is supported by an all star jazz band.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/medium/AVRJ_6021-45__67263__04242012084914-1792.jpg

If you can find this one Frank Sanatra at the Sands, with the Count Basie orchestra ...snatch it as soon as possible. Very hard to find in stock on vinyl, and when they realease a new batch no matter if 33 or 45, its gone as quick as you can bat an eye.

http://images.junostatic.com/150/CS402006-01A.jpg

I have the Ella and the Billie on vinyl and they are good. I love my jazz women. I am a fan of Frank Sinatra and I will buy that record. If I had a time machine I would live in NYC during the 40's and 50's hanging out at the jazz clubs.

frenchmon
05-16-2012, 04:13 AM
I have the Ella and the Billie on vinyl and they are good. I love my jazz women. I am a fan of Frank Sinatra and I will buy that record. If I had a time machine I would live in NYC during the 40's and 50's hanging out at the jazz clubs.

Man I've often said I was born in the wrong time. I wish I could go back and hang out at the Savoy Ball Room down in Harlem during the 30's - 50's. I should have known a music lover such as your self has those albums already....And I too love Sinatra.

Try this site....index (http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/)

it should keep you busy for a while. I have ordered from them...nothing but remasterd 45's... excellent recordings.

JohnMichael
05-19-2012, 08:42 AM
I am pleased to announce that the motor continues to hold. I am beginning to trust again. My Rega of course but not people. I think by the end of the month I will be confident enough to order the TT PSU and my retirement check can pay for it.

I was thinking about ordering it from Needle Doctor since I bought the 24v motor from them and asking for them to throw in a white belt. On the other hand I could order it from Music Direct and see if I can get a deal on some vinyl. I have made more purchases from MD so I might be able to work them a little more.

My thoughts of pulling out the credit card and ordering a new table are fading. I am curious about the improvements I will soon be hearing. Oh and there may just be one more tweak after the TT PSU. Since I will be able to change speed electronically I may try the dual pulley that will allow me to use two belts like the P9.

Hi my name is JohnMichael and I am a tweakaholic.

frenchmon
05-19-2012, 06:21 PM
I am pleased to announce that the motor continues to hold. I am beginning to trust again. My Rega of course but not people. I think by the end of the month I will be confident enough to order the TT PSU and my retirement check can pay for it.

I was thinking about ordering it from Needle Doctor since I bought the 24v motor from them and asking for them to throw in a white belt. On the other hand I could order it from Music Direct and see if I can get a deal on some vinyl. I have made more purchases from MD so I might be able to work them a little more.

My thoughts of pulling out the credit card and ordering a new table are fading. I am curious about the improvements I will soon be hearing. Oh and there may just be one more tweak after the TT PSU. Since I will be able to change speed electronically I may try the dual pulley that will allow me to use two belts like the P9.

Hi my name is JohnMichael and I am a tweakaholic.

lol! Aint this hobby fun!?

JohnMichael
05-22-2012, 08:16 AM
The Rega TT PSU will be delivered Wednesday. When I ordered it they asked which ttable I had. Without thinking I said the Planar 2. He was eager to explain that it would not work with my table. I was eager to tell him that I had just purchased the 24v motor upgrade from them so it would work. Now I will have an up to the minute 14 year old table.

frenchmon
05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I would be very interested in hearing or at least knowing how your table performs to one of the newer Rega tables. I betcha its very much up too speed.

JohnMichael
05-22-2012, 04:36 PM
I would be very interested in hearing or at least knowing how your table performs to one of the newer Rega tables. I betcha its very much up too speed.

Now that my table has the latest motor which is cuurent with the RP3 and RP6, and I will have the TT PSU I think speed stabiltiy will be the same.

I do think the Achroplat sounds better than the Rega glass platter with mat.

I do not know how much audible improvement for the arm with the three point mounting but the Michell Technoweight lowered counterweight improves tracking. I think better tracking will trump the new mounting in sonic improvement.

I like that my RB250 does not have the spring supplying tracking force. Springs can resonate and change tension over time. Of course better bearings in the newer arms.

I have not read about the new Rega's tonearm wiring but I have always liked the Incognito wiring harness. I like the idea that the only two solder joints are at the cartridge clips then at the end of the cables at the RCA plugs. From the cartridge to the phono preamp the low output of the cartridge flows along the same length of wires without solder joints or changes in wiring gauges.

I guess I am saying is that my table can hold it's own.

02audionoob
05-22-2012, 04:47 PM
If I had a choice between a stock RP3 and JM's modded Planar 2...someone was just going to give it to me (no hint intended)...I'd choose JM's turntable.

frenchmon
05-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Yeah....JM has a hotrod Planar 2.... taken a few levels up. There needs to be a review done in some Audiophile magazine or at least Rega aught to be contacted about JM's hotrod Planar 2.....they may be interested in just knowing how all the mods workout with the performance.

JohnMichael
05-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Yeah....JM has a hotrod Planar 2.... taken a few levels up. There needs to be a review done in some Audiophile magazine or at least Rega aught to be contacted about JM's hotrod Planar 2.....they may be interested in just knowing how all the mods workout with the performance.

I do not think Roy Gandy would be happy with all I have done to his design. I do not use his alignment protractor and I have replaced many parts. I think someone like Art Dudley who has written about many performance upgrades for the LP12 would be a good choice to tweak an older Rega.

Tonight will be the TT PSU upgrade. My first 45 I am going to play is a direct to disc recording of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons".

JohnMichael
05-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Things are getting crowded at the turntable end.

frenchmon
05-24-2012, 01:24 AM
Oohhh! That looks very sexy! I betcha it sounds nice. Did it go up a few notches with the new PSU upgrade? That 110LP looks bigger than I thought. And the Grado is stout. There is a guy on audio gone with a Grado Reference Platinum1 Wood Body Cartridge with less than 50 hours on her that I have been in email talks with. I want to see what a wood body would sound like with the Grado 1. He only wants $195 for her....but I am afraid seeing my last purchase at Audiogon went bad.

JohnMichael
05-24-2012, 05:06 AM
The TT PSU did make an audible improvement. The improvement is more subtle than the new motor. I have some old habits to break such as no longer using the switch on the table but the switch on the PSU. It is very easy to push a switch and the table speeds up to 45 rpm. Better performance and greater convenience along with the absence of pops when turning on the ttable.

I have not listened long enough to evaluate it in depth but my first reaction was the music sounded simpler. After a few sides I realized there was lower noise and musicians were more focused. Maybe not so much focused but cohesive. There was less blur which eliminates a kind of audible ghosting which sometimes made it sound like there were more musicians than there was. Speed stability is a very good thing.

JohnMichael
05-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Well with each increase in performance it is easier to evaluate a part of the audio chain. The improved speed accuracy and stability allowed me to hear how dry the Achroplat makes the sound. While it makes everything sound tight and focused it does this at the expense of color. the midrange was rather dull and lifeless. At first that sounded clean and lower in distortion but much of the subtlety of music is cleaned away. I am back to the glass with the Ringmat. Diana Krall's humanity is back.

JohnMichael
06-05-2012, 05:30 AM
I thought of something fun to do. I have made a number of cd's from records to enjoy in the car. Even though I am using a different cartridge and phono preamp I will find it interesting to hear if the new motor and power supply upgrade will make a better sounding cd. Better sounding in regards to speed and stability.

I am not going to record the entire record but a few songs from several of the cd's and then I can compare cd to cd. Old motor to new motor will be what I will be listening for and not overall sound. If I had a spasm of energy I could remount the Ortofon OM20 and the CA640P but I can tell you I doubt if that will happen.

I will report what I find.

frenchmon
06-06-2012, 10:28 AM
" If I had a spasm of energy "

lol! I say that every day....I have a 6 year old son.

JohnMichael
06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Well I made the recording of the table with new motor and TT PSU to compare to recordings I made using the old motor. Should be interesting.

Frenchmon I have never tried a 5 hour energy drink. I was afraid 5 hours of energy might stop my heart.

frenchmon
06-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Naw....i've never tried those types of drink. The only thing I will drink is coffee or tea....Mostly coffee. No beer, wine or whiskey.

JohnMichael
06-06-2012, 03:34 PM
I am pleased to report that the recordings of the same albums easily demonstrate an improvement with the new motor installed. The recording with the old motor was interesting in that I was used to the small speed variations. Images moved slightly as the loose mounted motor moved so it was like a reed in the wind. Vocals were less intelligible. Everything was just a little phasey or hazy whichever is the better term.

The recording using the new motor gave rock solid imaging. When a blues singer was centered on the stage and one of the musicians was commenting on what was being sung you could tell what they were singing/speaking. Since nothing was moving the entire soundstage was imaging well and it was easier to follow the various musicians.

Thinking something sounds better and having two recordings as proof that the tweak was well worth it makes this tweaker quite happy.

Jack in Wilmington
06-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Naw....i've never tried those types of drink. The only thing I will drink is coffee or tea....Mostly coffee. No beer, wine or whiskey.

They say red wine is very good for you.

JohnMichael
08-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Just wanted to update the thread on the new motor. Since my treating the underside of the plinth with the two layers of wood glue the motor has stayed in place without any problem. I even played vinyl several times over the past few weeks and had not even thought to check out the motor's placement.

I continue to be amazed at the improvements of the motor and PSU upgrade. Speed accuracy and stability rule when it comes to vinyl. I would love to participate in a comparison of my tweaked Planar 2 to a stock Planar 2 or 3. I would even go up against a stock P6.

dean_martin
08-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Hey, JM. I'm thinking about getting the tt psu for my P5. Don't know whether to get the latest model or save a few dollars and get the older model. I've been using my Technics for my 45s because it's convenient. Would love to change speeds on the P5 by pushing a button.

JohnMichael
08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
I started with the original loose mounted motor and stepped up to the latest rigid mounted 24v motor. This change blew me away. Next came the TT PSU for a more refined sound but not as night and day as switching motors. Still the combo kicks the table up a notch and the push of a button to change speeds is sweet. Not stretching the belt I think will cause it to last longer.

I do not think it matters which PSU you choose unless you are concerned about cosmetics. The more you listen to vinyl the happier you are that you have it.

Rega Planar 5 & Planar 7 turntables | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/1204rega/)

The basic Rega P5 lacks the circuitry to re-create a 50Hz wave for its European motor, so American buyers get a smaller-diameter motor pulley than their English counterparts. But P5 buyers in any country can upgrade their new turntable at any time with the addition of an optional outboard power supply, which then derives its own power from the 24V wall-wart. The Rega TT PSU power supply ($345) does, in fact, create its own motor reference signals with crystal oscillators, and it supplies the two separate phases with greater accuracy than the comparatively simple onboard circuit described above. (The TT PSU powers the Rega P5 through a dedicated four-conductor socket, as opposed to the two-conductor socket for the wall wart.) The optional supply also generates a separate frequency for spinning the platter at 45rpm, thus forever relieving the P5 owner of the drudgery of pulley-swapping.

JohnMichael
10-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Tonight I will have several hours for listening to vinyl. The two college princess went home for the weekend. They have reported me to the office for playing music at noon and at 2:30 PM. Every day off that I play the stereo they complain. So tonight I can enjoy my records at a reasonable volume. Of course my trusty dog will be at my side as will a glass of wine. Love Saturdays

frenchmon
10-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Tonight I will have several hours for listening to vinyl. The two college princess went home for the weekend. They have reported me to the office for playing music at noon and at 2:30 PM. Every day off that I play the stereo they complain. So tonight I can enjoy my records at a reasonable volume. Of course my trusty dog will be at my side as will a glass of wine. Love Saturdays

At noon and 2:30pm? What? Thats a little odd they would complain at that time of day. I'm sure the front office can't say to much about that?

JoeE SP9
10-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Don't they go to school?

JohnMichael
10-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Don't they go to school?

They do go to class but then rush home to report me for listening to my stereo. The young woman with the live in boyfriend and her daisy duke shorts thinks she is a princess. She is finding out an old queen trumps a princess.

JohnMichael
09-09-2013, 06:22 AM
I was listening to some vinyl and I thought where is the magic? The Rega double faced pad pulled away from the plinth again. I had another pad so I recoated with wood glue and after a few hours reattached the pad. I then mounted the motor. Tonight I will put it back together and try some vinyl.

I did try some screws, washers and nuts but the motor was not centered. The motor upgrade was an improvement but now the mounting pad has become a source of concern. Now I think a new turntable is in my near future. I would like to find a table that would take my rewired arm.

JohnMichael
11-23-2014, 05:04 PM
I was looking through all the audio equipment but was interested in taking some photographs. Weather was not nice so I decided to take this photo.

Some left over parts.

JohnMichael
05-05-2015, 08:03 AM
Reading back through this thread I am pleased to announce that the pad has held the motor firmly in place. The third time was the charm and I am beginning to trust the table again.