Best value in a 42" to 48" TV? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best value in a 42" to 48" TV?

Swish
04-10-2012, 07:22 AM
A friend is building a new home and is insisting on installing a TV about the gas fireplace. I told him I absolutely HATE when TVs are installed that high on a wall, and even more above a fireplace, but that didn't dissuade him.

That being said, if you were going to buy a wall-mounted widescreen today, what would you buy that would give you a great picture and the most bang for the buck?

The room doesn't have many windows and none that would reflect off the screen, so a plasma is certainly in play. I love my Panny Viera 50" that's in my LR, but I bought it about 2 years ago and haven't done much research on TVs since that time.

Smokey
04-10-2012, 07:21 PM
If TV is going to be hanged that high which mean the viewing is more likely be off center, he may consider LCDs with IPS panels which have wider [than normal] vewing angle. TVs from Panasonic and LG utilize IPS panels (or variation of it).

On the lower end, Insignia house brand from BestBuy also uses IPS panel if he is on the budget, and got good reviews.

Also check out this site which does indepth reviews:

Latest Reviews and News - TelevisionInfo.com (http://www.televisioninfo.com/d/reviews.htm)

Worf101
04-11-2012, 03:49 AM
Interesting connundrum. I could've done the same thing with my main HT system however I chose not too. My fireplace (a REAL working fireplace) is on the short side of the rectangle that is my living room and I thought the dimensions just didn't work for me. When I was still considering it though I looked into a couple of things.

1. A tiltable wall mount. If it's gonna be that high over your seated position, the ability to tilt it down might make a more pleasurable experience.

2. The 42 - 48 inchers are the current "sweet spot" for LCD's. There's a LOT to choose from out there from LG and Vizio in the mid-range to Samsung and other's at the high range.

3. Go see some down at Sears and Best Buy, before they both go under.

Worf

Swish
04-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Worfster - I told my friend why I hate TVs mounted above a fireplace, and it's mostly because it's uncomfortable to sit and look up for an extended period of time. I also mentioned that he needs a wall mount that will tilt.

Smokey - thanks for the website. I'll have him check out any TV he feels is worth the money and go from there.