Ten Commandments in HD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ten Commandments in HD

Smokey
04-09-2012, 03:15 PM
ABC network on saturday night showed Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston (for easter Sunday) and that was first time seeing that movie in HighDefinition and widescreen, and was not impressed at all.

There is alot of blue screen technology used in this film (to paint the background) and one can clearly see the outline of actors face and figure against the (imposed) background and HD doesn't make it look good. And alot of scenes were shot on sound stage and HD definitely showed the cheesines of the decor.

The only part that looked good was the outdoor and live shots that didn't use CGI.

I always thought of Ten Commandments and Ben Hur as two visually spectacular movies. But after seeing 10 commandments in HD, Ben-Hur seem to hold the upper hand visually. But that could change once I see Ben Hur in HD also :)

Feanor
04-11-2012, 04:58 AM
ABC network on saturday night showed Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston (for easter Sunday) and that was first time seeing that movie in HighDefinition and widescreen, and was not impressed at all.

There is alot of blue screen technology used in this film (to paint the background) and one can clearly see the outline of actors face and figure against the (imposed) background and HD doesn't make it look good. And alot of scenes were shot on sound stage and HD definitely showed the cheesines of the decor.

The only part that looked good was the outdoor and live shots that didn't use CGI.

I always thought of Ten Commandments and Ben Hur as two visually spectacular movies. But after seeing 10 commandments in HD, Ben-Hur seem to hold the upper hand visually. But that could change once I see Ben Hur in HD also :)
It's just me I realized, but I have no interest seeing I there of those over-hyped pseudo-Bible flicks at any definition. (I could have watch 10 Commandments in SD but listened to music instead. What next? 3D? (puke).

recoveryone
04-11-2012, 07:22 AM
The Ten Commandment is a Easter Classic, but I even feel its ran its course. I could see it replace with Passion of Christ, but I don't think the general public is ready to view such graphic film about the last days of Christ. On the HD PQ of it can be debated, The film is over 50 years old and there were no CGI effects (Smoke) it was all old school movie tricks and done very well.

Smokey
04-12-2012, 03:50 PM
It's just me I realized, but I have no interest seeing I there of those over-hyped pseudo-Bible flicks at any definition. (I could have watch 10 Commandments in SD but listened to music instead. What next? 3D? (puke).

Common Feanor, don't be so negative :)

Not withstanding the subject, 10 Commandments is probably one of the best movie ever made. It does look somewhat outdated and special effetcs kind of primitive, but the movie as whole is very well done. I watched it all way thru.

The Ten Commandment is a Easter Classic, but I even feel its ran its course. I could see it replace with Passion of Christ, but I don't think the general public is ready to view such graphic film about the last days of Christ.

They could also show Ben-Hur. That movie is not as talky as 10 Commandments, and it does occur on days of Jesus. And the chariot race scene at the end is much more entertaining than parting of the Red Sea.

Feanor
04-13-2012, 04:08 AM

Not withstanding the subject, 10 Commandments is probably one of the best movie ever made. It does look somewhat outdated and special effetcs kind of primitive, but the movie as whole is very well done. I watched it all way thru.
They could also show Ben-Hur. That movie is not as talky as 10 Commandments, and it does occur on days of Jesus. And the chariot race scene at the end is much more entertaining than parting of the Red Sea.
I did prefer Ben-Hur to 10 Commandments. You're right that consideration must be given to when these films were made.

recoveryone
04-13-2012, 10:57 AM

I think you may have missed the point on the traditional timing of Easter. I mean even the 10 Commandents does not reflect what is really assocatied with Easter/ Passover. The film "The robe" or "Jesus 1999 Version", "Greatest Story Ever Told" would be more fitting. But that is from a Christain point of view. Some as Feanor pointed out could care less and would happy if no films were shown at all.

Feanor
04-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I think you may have missed the point on the traditional timing of Easter. I mean even the 10 Commandents does not reflect what is really assocatied with Easter/ Passover. The film "The robe" or "Jesus 1999 Version", "Greatest Story Ever Told" would be more fitting. But that is from a Christain point of view. Some as Feanor pointed out could care less and would happy if no films were shown at all.
Well not exactly. If a Bible flick is a great movie, I'll watch it because it's a great movie. If it's "Bible- sploitation" and not so good, I won't.

I remember all the films in question; I saw all of them back in the day. Mostly they don't stand the test of time very well: they were blockbusters at the time but by today's blockbuster standard they're pretty tame. Ben-Hur gets the highest IMDB score, 8.2 and it's my favorite of the lot -- though I give it a 7.0.

I haven't seen The Passion of the Christ, mostly on account of the controversy around Mel Gibson, but I ought to check it.