I found a curious little box at Wal-Mart today. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I found a curious little box at Wal-Mart today.

markw
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
I was just at Wal-Mart to pick up a set of cheapo computer speakers. As usual, I check out all the latest electronic goodies when anywhere near them.

I saw THIS (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HD-Streaming-Video-Player-TB600MG2F/17350648) tiny box, maybe 4 x 6 x 1,5" from Magnavox with a price of $48.

Upon closer inspection, it turns out to be a WIRELESS Internet adaptor (that supports 1080 with a HDMI output) with a remote control. This will allow virtually anyone with a wireless connection and a HDTV to have Internet access to Netflix, Vudu, Pandora and other sites.

This could give streaming video a big boost, once the muggles figure out what these can do.

Too bad it doesn't seem to support anything except HDMI. I'll bet there's a lot of older CRT based sets that could benefit from this.

Feanor
04-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I was just at Wal-Mart to pick up a set of cheapo computer speakers. As usual, I check out all the latest electronic goodies when anywhere near them.

I saw THIS (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HD-Streaming-Video-Player-TB600MG2F/17350648) tiny box, maybe 4 x 6 x 1,5" from Magnavox with a price of $48.

Upon closer inspection, it turns out to be a WIRELESS Internet adaptor (that supports 1080 with a HDMI output) with a remote control. This will allow virtually anyone with a wireless connection and a HDTV to have Internet access to Netflix, Vudu, Pandora and other sites.

This could give streaming video a big boost, once the muggles figure out what these can do.

Too bad it doesn't seem to support anything except HDMI. I'll bet there's a lot of older CRT based sets that could benefit from this.
Possibly the cheapest direct access to Netflix, etc., but for a little more you can get a wi-fi Blu-ray play which is likely to be better value for most people. E.g. ... Magnavox MBP5210/F7 Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player, Magnavox Blu-ray Player, 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player, Streaming Blu-ray Player (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MBP5210-F7-Wi-Fi-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/17327920)

markw
04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Agree. We just got a Sony BDP-S390 (or something like that) which is a blu-ray player with built-in* wireless access and a multitude of internet options.

The amazing thing about this unit is that it lists for US130 and is only about 12 1/2" across.

This stuff is getting tiny and cheaper. Yeah, I know. Damn the Chinese.

* as opposed to wireless "ready" which requires one to purchase a dongle.

BadAssJazz
04-10-2012, 08:06 AM
* as opposed to wireless "ready" which requires one to purchase a dongle.

Thankfully, the dongle is going the way of the dodo bird.

In fact, my last "feel good story" involving a major chain electronics store centers around one of their salesman (typically a group characterized as less knowledgeable re: product, market, and upcoming innovations) giving accurate advice to an elderly customer on wi-fi ready vs. wi-fi built in BD players. The customer was intent on buying the cheaper wi-fi ready player. The salesman explained the differences and -- after speaking to his supervisor -- offered the more expensive wi-fi built in player for the same price as the wi-fi ready unit. Now THAT in my opinion is great salesmanship.