Another DVD Review: Cold Creek Manor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another DVD Review: Cold Creek Manor

Lexmark3200
04-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Rented this tonight from Cockbuster --- for 99 cents plus tax, thanks to our good friend in here who left us the coupon for the rental --- and went into it thinking it was a haunted house flick. Sure, I was dissapointed to learn that Sharon Twat (excuse me---Sharon Stone) and Dennis Quaid were simply tenants of a new country house which the former tenant killed his entire family in (anyone hearing "Amityville Horror" here?)....but the film was surprisingly decently entertaining, and leaving that aside, Im gonna give you HT nuts what you really want....a rundown of the audio and visuals.

Picture was standard DVD fare; good character throughout with a slight bit of grain to give it a theatrical, film-like look. Widescreen presentation at 1:85:1 was the delivery system; audio was very good --- and I mean very good --- in a standard DD 5.1 fare. The mix was smooth and subtle---nothing really in your face, but thunderstorms sounded GREAT in the surrounds, as well as rain hitting behind the listening position. Watching this very late at night, at 1:00 in the morning to be more exact, in my apartment building, I had to keep the volume down a bit, so my receiver was cranking at "43" for most of the DVD; I dropped it down to "41" toward the end of the film and still the Dolby Digital mix kept us wrapped up in the experience. Good job here, very medicore piece of cinema.