Which TV brand you trust most [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which TV brand you trust most

Smokey
04-04-2012, 03:43 PM
This is second time posting this poll since the first one disappreared and had good replies too. So...

This is a hypothetical question:

If somebody gave you a choice of buying a new LCD TV, but the catch is TV will not have any type of warranty, which brand would you choose or trust without any safety net?

Of all brand choices given below, my pick probably would be Sharp.

Samsung
LG
Toshiba
Sharp
Insignia
Panasonic
Vizio
Sony
Philips
Westinghouse

Mash
04-05-2012, 06:27 AM
usually with a dim-bulb parts selection in an obscure place.

Sumsung has been charged with using 10V caps on a 12V rail in their flat screen power supplies. Then sufficient accumulated TV run time will result in failed caps and a non-working TV. 16V (or higher) caps would be preferred.

dean_martin
04-05-2012, 08:41 AM
I heard a segment on NPR the other day during which Japanese consumers were interviewed regarding Sony. It seems that Sony has lost traction in Japan (a has-been for those interviewed) to competitors from South Korea such as Samsung. Prices, new technology and reliability were key factors.

I didn't read your original post, Smokey. Sorry the replies got lost. My reply to your Willie Nelson post was lost too.

BadAssJazz
04-05-2012, 10:10 AM
As mentioned in many other posts, I've owned 4 Panasonics over the last decade or so and haven't experienced any issues or needed repairs for any of them. A lucky streak? Perhaps, but it's the safe pick based on my history with the brand.

That said, my next flatscreen purchase will probably be one of the Elite models. Still researching reliability and performance, however.

Smokey
04-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I heard a segment on NPR the other day during which Japanese consumers were interviewed regarding Sony. It seems that Sony has lost traction in Japan (a has-been for those interviewed) to competitors from South Korea such as Samsung. Prices, new technology and reliability were key factors.

Another factor might be that Sony have started outsourcing some of their operation to Taiwanes company Foxconn where Foxconn would build Sony TV. So Sony name tag does not carry the same weight as once did.

As mentioned in many other posts, I've owned 4 Panasonics over the last decade or so and haven't experienced any issues or needed repairs for any of them. A lucky streak? Perhaps, but it's the safe pick based on my history with the brand.

ConsumerReports seems to agree with you wilth their latest reliability report where they rates the Panasonics best for reliability, at just 2% repairs and serious problems.

Sony and Sharp are at 3%, LG at 4%, and Samsung at 5%.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-06-2012, 09:13 AM

I didn't read your original post, Smokey. Sorry the replies got lost. My reply to your Willie Nelson post was lost too.

I heard this same segment on Sony. With the pride the Japanese have for their large corporations, it was surprising to hear them say that Sony was basically a Dinosaur.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-06-2012, 09:16 AM
To make up for my lost post(harumph). Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and LG are the televisions of choice in my houses.

I would never choose a sharp television because they are impossible to accurately calibrate. That extra yellow LED they include is a great marketing angle, but makes for a poor performance.

dean_martin
04-06-2012, 10:15 AM
I heard this same segment on Sony. With the pride the Japanese have for their large corporations, it was surprising to hear them say that Sony was basically a Dinosaur.

I was surprised, too. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sony made a big splash with something sooner rather than later.

recoveryone
04-06-2012, 11:11 AM
My orignal post was lost, but I will add this, RGA (in the OG posting) had it right about the out sourcing in that most LCD/LED are not being made by the name brand, so whatever past experience you may have had with a brand may not carry over to a LCD/LED type model. I'm waiting for Kitchen Aid to come out with one, if its built like their mixers it should last forever....LOL

Woochifer
04-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Going into the 4th year with my Panny, so that's my vote. The way I see it, "trust" has to do with a combination of performance and reliability. Are the TVs any good? Are they designed properly, or do they take short cuts? Are they reliable?

Panasonic has been at or near the top in terms of reliability for several years now. And this applies to their plasma and LCD models, so we know that the build quality is there and has an established track record.

Problem with several of the brands on that list, they are culled through outsource suppliers that can change from one production run to another. Insignia is nothing more than Best Buy's house brand -- product quality and reliability in one particular Insignia TV model says absolutely nothing about another Insignia-branded TV.

Sharp would not be anywhere near the top on my list. They've made some great TVs, but also had numerous hiccups over the years, particularly with color banding issues and other reliability problems.

I view LG the same way. They're capable of making great value TVs, but they've also cranked out their share of clunkers. While their reliability has steadily improved, their TVs have included some very questionable design decisions, like some of their 120 Hz TVs that do not allow consumers to disable the motion interpolation feature and basically have the TV in "soap opera effect" mode 100% of the time.

RGA
04-06-2012, 09:30 PM
I get the feeling the TVs are mostly exactly what is happening with laptops

Read Xotic PC Article & Info Section - NAVBAR_TITLE (http://www.xoticpc.com/who-really-makes-laptops-the-industries-best-kept-secret-a-47.html)

Feanor
04-07-2012, 08:07 AM
I get the feeling the TVs are mostly exactly what is happening with laptops

Read Xotic PC Article & Info Section - NAVBAR_TITLE (http://www.xoticpc.com/who-really-makes-laptops-the-industries-best-kept-secret-a-47.html)
Dunno, but when I've built PCs I'm always preferred ASUS mobos; they've well-made and have excellent documentation.

TheHills44060
04-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Panasonic has been at or near the top in terms of reliability for several years now. And this applies to their plasma and LCD models, so we know that the build quality is there and has an established track record.
My experience has been drastically different. I've owned 2 Panasonics (1 rear projection and 1 plasma) and they were both the worst television sets ever...ever. Their customer service was acceptable however I will never buy another.

On the other hand a Magnavox, Mitsubishi, Advent and a Zenith all took punishment for years and kept on truckin'. I guess it comes down to the luck of the draw.