affordable turntable? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : affordable turntable?

sneakyimp
03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
I hope not to make myself a target for the hard-core vinyl guys, but I was hoping someone might recommend an affordable turntable that I can play my records on. My receiver doesn't have a phone input so ideally it would have line-level out. Perhaps more importantly, it shouldn't hurt my records.

I found this one which seems to have the right features. Just wondering what folks might think.

Enochrome
03-28-2012, 11:45 PM
That link did not work.

I am not sure how much your budget is and how committed you are to playing vinyl. I think the cost is relative to the commitment. I would personally avoid turntables with a built in phono preamp. I would just buy the Audio Technica APQE3 (spelling?) phono preamp for like $40 at Needle Doctor and then find yourself a used Pioneer belt drive from the 70's turntable for under $100. Either that or spend more for an entry level Pro-ject turntable. You might even try a belt-driven Dual, like the 505 series, those are good bang for your buck decks.

What is your budget?

sneakyimp
03-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks for your advice.

I am not heavily committed to vinyl generally speaking, but looking forward to some listening. My girlfriend has quite a collection and her old JVC no longer works so we need a reasonable replacement that doesn't require special vinyl skills to maintain. This audio technica belt driven one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882999164) has been well-reviewed and is available for $75.

Enochrome
03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
If its occasional listening then go for it.