Golden Lion tubes 12AX7 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Golden Lion tubes 12AX7

frenchmon
03-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Purchased a new set of Golden Lion tubes 12AX7.

After about 3 hours of listening all I can say is wow! At first they sounded horrible but after the start of break-in they opened up really well. Now all I need them to do is to settle down in the cymbal taps which sound really bright. And also all the reviews that said they have a warm mid-range...well I would like to have them a little warmer. This tube is very revealing and unforgiving on a bad record. I will continue to break in the tube...after about 50 hours I hope the cymbal taps settle down, and the mids give me that mid-range like I like it, my Sovteks have a great mid-section....more to come.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-8476489043850_2199_57689649

blackraven
03-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Frenchmon, what I have found in my extensive tube rolling to find the best combination of 6CG7 tubes is that tube sound will vary from system to system some what. What sounds good in my gear may not sound the same in yours, that's why it is a crap shoot when looking at reviews of tubes and hearing what they actually sound like in your system. I probably spent about $350 in tube's over the past 2 years. I will get some of that back by selling of some of the tubes though.

By the way Frenchie, are your running a Vincent amp? I have always been curious about their sound. I may replace my Parasound and the new AVA FET valve amps are out of my price range now. So I have had my eye on the Vincent amps. However, AVA has a new SS amp coming out that was built with the premise to sound like a tube amp. I was involved in the final stages of critiquing the amp while final tweaking was done and they have succeeded. The amp is awesome. I will be giving a review of it in the next few weeks.

Sorry to get off topic. Enjoy the new tubes!

frenchmon
03-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi Raven. I know you are correct about tubes sounding different. My previous tubes...sovtek have a wonderful midrange and bottom end. But the GL are clearer. I have heard one Vincent amp and it was great. I have also considered a Vincent amp. They Start at $1200and go up from there. Also...I took a listen to Peabody's new preamp and it sounds a lot like my Vincent.

blackraven
03-27-2012, 01:56 PM
I have been considering the SP-331MK-

Vincent Audio - SP-331MK Hybrid Power Amplifier-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VISP331MK)

But I am going to wait till I can take home the new Van Alstine SS amp for and audition and review before I decide. The new amp does have that nice smooth, romantic tube sound. The dynamics are great on the amp as well. Price on the amp will be about $2K for the 400wpc unit. By the way I took my Parasound A21 to Frank's house to compare the 2 amps and the new amp smoked it.

frenchmon
03-27-2012, 03:24 PM
That Vincent is a beast of an amp according to the reviews I've read. First 10 are class A and not all class A as has been advertised. H have you read this review?

Vincent SP-331MK power amp - Review [English] (http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/vincent_sp331_e.html)

When is the new AVA going to be released?

frenchmon
03-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Yeah...the GL 12Ax7's are sounding really nice now. The cymbal taps and high ranges have settle down a bit more. The mids are sounding warmer and richer a bit. I've got about 6 1/2 hours on them. I've read about 50 hours and they should be really broken in. This is a very detail tube. I still would like it a little warmer, and if this continues they will get there. I can recommend this tube to any body interested.

blackraven
03-27-2012, 04:14 PM
That Vincent is a beast of an amp according to the reviews I've read. First 10 are class A and not all class A as has been advertised. H have you read this review?

Vincent SP-331MK power amp - Review [English] (http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/vincent_sp331_e.html)

When is the new AVA going to be released?

The AVA amp should be ready in 1-3 months. I saw that the Vincent is class A in the first 10watts. My Parasound is also Class A for the first 10 watts. My only concern with the Vincent is that it has some tubes that are soldered in place.

TheHills44060
03-27-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm currently running my second pair of GL's and haven't really had the urge to swap them out. Great tube.

frenchmon
03-28-2012, 03:44 AM
The AVA amp should be ready in 1-3 months. I saw that the Vincent is class A in the first 10watts. My Parasound is also Class A for the first 10 watts. My only concern with the Vincent is that it has some tubes that are soldered in place.

Yeah, the 2 x 6N16 are soldered in. But I have never heard any one saying you need to change those. THey have some really strong tube life. And the 12AU7 of course is changeable. Do you know the price of the new AVA? IF I can get a good enough deal on the Vincent from my dealer, I may spring for it.

frenchmon
03-28-2012, 03:45 AM
I'm currently running my second pair of GL's and haven't really had the urge to swap them out. Great tube.

What happened to your first pair?

TheHills44060
03-28-2012, 05:11 AM
What happened to your first pair?
One of them in my phono stage just burned out over time so it needed replacement. I was happy enough with them to get another set of GL's and while I was at it, replace my preamp output stage with GL's as well. I'd had been running factory chinese McIntosh 12AX7's.

blackraven
03-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Frenchmon, the new amp will be about $2K. He is working on some lower powered amps about 250wpc at 4 ohm. The new on is 440wpc. It is worth a look with his 30 day return policy.

frenchmon
03-28-2012, 11:13 AM
One of them in my phono stage just burned out over time so it needed replacement. I was happy enough with them to get another set of GL's and while I was at it, replace my preamp output stage with GL's as well. I'd had been running factory chinese McIntosh 12AX7's.

Have you noticed they really dont have a very bright glow..if they glow at all? Also, the first wave of them had a lot of problems, but the problems are corrected now with this wave.

frenchmon
03-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Frenchmon, the new amp will be about $2K. He is working on some lower powered amps about 250wpc at 4 ohm. The new on is 440wpc. It is worth a look with his 30 day return policy.

OK, thanks, I will keep an eye out.

TheHills44060
03-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Have you noticed they really dont have a very bright glow..if they glow at all? Also, the first wave of them had a lot of problems, but the problems are corrected now with this wave.
Hi french...yeah they have a faint glow because most of it is covered by the plate but the typical reddish tube glow is visible at the top of the valve. So far i haven't any premature failures with either set I've had.