Walmart launching Disc to Digital Service [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Walmart launching Disc to Digital Service

Smokey
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
It never cease to amaze me how studios come out with ideas to make [extra] money on movies. This time around to the sound of $2 for DVDs and $5 for Bluray discs you already own by storing them in a digital bin for access on whatever Internet-connected device you have handy.

Here is full story:

Earlier today, Walmart announced the launch of an in-store program to allow users to turn their DVD movies into digital cloud-stored copies which, presumably, would be accessible over tablets, smart phones, smart TVs and similar products. The initiative is being done in conjunction with Vudu, the online video store Walmart owns.

The launch on April 16th will allow owners of disks sold by five major studios owners to go to over 3,500 Walmart stores to obtain digital access to their content. An in-store associate will create a free VUDU account. Then for a fee of $2 for a DVD or a Blu-Ray disk the associate will authorized digital copies of the disks, which allows the user can access the content via VUDU on a wide array of smart phones, tablets, PCs, laptops and other internet connected devices.

The process doesn’t actually upload the content of the disc, it just authorizes the title to be placed into your cloud locker.

The system is also set up to allow owners of DVDs to upgrade their library to HD for a $5 fee. You can then take your discs back home with you. After that you can log onto your Vudu account and watch the movies you’ve added to your cloud locker.

Walmart to Launch Disc to Digital Service - 2012-03-13 20:43:53 | Broadcasting & Cable (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/481786-Walmart_to_Launch_Disc_to_Digital_Service.php)

recoveryone
03-24-2012, 08:05 AM
OK, I already own the disk and now I'm going to pay another fee to have it stored digitally, so I can access it via the internet. Can you say, get your lazy butt off the couch and put the disk in the player when you want to watch it! I can see if it was titles I did not already own. I put this right up there with people that lease a car and then buy it from the dealer at the end of the lease for full price.

JoeE SP9
03-24-2012, 05:41 PM
What a totally smart idea for Hollywood and Walmart.:devil: What a stupid thing for a consumer to pay for.:nono:

Smokey
03-24-2012, 06:08 PM
I put this right up there with people that lease a car and then buy it from the dealer at the end of the lease for full price.

What a totally smart idea for Hollywood and Walmart.:devil: What a stupid thing for a consumer to pay for.:nono:

Definitely agree with both of you :)

It is also a hassle. Who wants to collect their DVD and put them in a box [which can get pretty heavy] and haul it to Walmart. And then explain to the door greeter that these are your DVDs so he/she won't hassle you when you leave store with them. And hope the kiosk working and properly staffed.

And then deal with same greeter again as he/she will check you again to make sure you didn't take any DVDs that does not belong to you :)

lizard54
03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Are there already options out there that allow you to rip a DVD to the computer anyway, and then couldn't you just store it yourself? Sure a bit of programming may be involved but it is much better for consumers, besides nowadays you can get a Blue-ray DVD that comes with both the regular DVD and digital copy so no worries, right? I suppose Hollywood is pinchin' pennies now that people are pirating stuff.