Analog? So, that means tape decks too? (My Nakamichi RX-202 repair story) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Analog? So, that means tape decks too? (My Nakamichi RX-202 repair story)

nobody
03-22-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm not going to argue the merits of cassettes or anything like that, but I do have fun with a tape deck from time to time, either making mixes for friends or parties or for a few stacks of new cassettes by some less mainstream artists I still pick up from time to time. I've been using a Denon dual deck for a while now, but casually looking around I came across a Nakamichi RX-202 on Craigslist that I could grab for $20. The guy said it all worked perfectly and I could bring it back if it did not.

Well, he was wrong. It would play a tape, but it would not rewind or fast forward. But instead of just running it back, it was cheap enough that I figured even if I put a few bucks into it I'd be OK in the end. So I poked around online and saw a few different opinions as to what was likely wrong. The most likely culprit to me looked to be the idler tire or maybe the belts so I ordered a kit for just under $20 that had all those parts in there and figured I didn't have a ton to lose.

I opened her up and looked for a few things people online had mentioned, but most of the belts were hidden unless I wanted to start risking a lot of disassembly that I am nowhere near experienced enough to venture into. The main drive belt, which I had a nice view of looked in fine shape and was spinning smoothly and there seemed to be no slipping or anything and the belts seemed to be turning the idler smoothly so I figured I'd skip replacing the belt and try replacing the idler tire. I came across step-by-step instructions for the procedure, read them a few times and felt fairly confident that I could do it without screwing anything up too badly.

Here's the link for the instructions, complete with pictures for anyone interested: DIY RX-202 Idler Tire Replacement (http://www.nakremotes.com/Geo/RX-202_Idler.htm)

Taking things apart was actually pretty easy, even the arm that holds the tape in place. Pulling off the tiny rubber washer that held the wheel in place without damaging it was a bit tricky but I managed. Once I had the wheel off, slipping on the new tire was simple enough as was getting it back in place; and using a piece of tape, even replacing the small washer was simple enough. Time for testing. And... perfect. Fast forward, rewind, play, smooth as silk. Not a hitch.

Now came the tough part. Putting it all back together. I admit to some serious struggles with reattaching the lock arm, especially getting it all to hold still while I screwed in the bracket that holds it and perhaps even more so getting the tiny spring to get where it needed to be. But, with some difficulty I eventually managed. Deep breath, go slow, don't rush... Once that arm was back in place closing up everything else was a snap.

The only thing I did differently from the instructions at the link above was I was able to fiddle off the back plate without rotating the flipping mechanism. My screwdriver reached without having to move it out of the way and I thought best not to start messing with those gears unless absolutely necessary. I still have a belt set and perhaps down the road I will need them, but I am just now happy to be up and running and decided my lack of know how and desire to not fix what isn't broken would serve me well in this instance.

Anyway, all's well that ends well and now I am the owner of a fully functioning Nakamichi RX-202. I hadn't listened to a tape on a Nak for probably over 20 years but I was always fond of their signature sound and when I threw some headphones on as soon as everything was back together, I could hear why again. Got it all hooked up to the rest of the stereo last night, now maybe I'll have to check out how this one records and make up a mix over the weekend.

Anyway, just figured I'd share my mini-success story since I must admit I am not experienced messing around on the internals of these things so I was quite excited to have gotten this thing all spiffed up. Any of the rest of you even mess with tapes at all anymore? I've not gone reel-to-reel yet, but I've been keeping my eyes peeled in case I ever come across a deal on one.

JoeE SP9
03-22-2012, 08:59 AM
I've got three cassette decks. Currently I'm using my Teac V-7010 for playing back cassettes I recorded. I always keep a cassette deck in my ststem. Got a lot of music on High Bias/Metal/CRO2 premium tape. The sound can be quite good.

I would try making some recordings but find it sifficult to obtain decent blank tape.

Edit:
Jusst checked J&R. They have TDK SA90's/2 pack for $6.99. Just ordered four packs. Even if I don't use them right away it's good to have some high quality blanks on hand.

nobody
03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
I do a decent amount of thrift shopping and come across stray blanks now and then. I've got a few TDK SAs I ordered online and National Audio Company makes some really nice new blanks as well.

But yeah., not like the days when you could just buy whatever you want all over the place. I may have to go grab some of those from J&R myself, thanks for the heads up.

dean_martin
03-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Nice story. Watch your mail. I've an old, big Akai deck I'm sending you for a tune-up.

I also have two Yamaha decks - one in my main system and another that is with an old receiver and speaks in my storage shed. I have tons of tapes from the days when I used to make tapes from cds and vinyl for the car and to swap with friends. Some of my best boots and rare stuff are on cassettes that an old friend made. I do most of my cassette playing while hanging out in the storage shed on weekends (because it seems like the manly thing to do with all the tools, weight bench, etc. most of which I rarely use).

nobody
03-22-2012, 09:46 AM
The only reason I had any success was the great instructions at that link. My next goal is to get a set of alignment tapes and a meter so I can learn how to make all the alignment adjustments on a deck myself. I did some adjusting of the Denon's heads by ear and it certainly sounded improved to me, but I have no idea if it is truly accurate or not. I know the Nak is better sounding as is than after I worked adjusting the Denon for a while so I'm not touching anything until when or if I get the tools to actually make adjustments properly. I've also seen this process pretty thoroughly detailed at a couple websites.

But, ya know, if you'd like your Akai turned into a lovely paper weight, feel free to send it to me and I can take things apart and then not know how to put them back together.

dean_martin
03-22-2012, 10:09 AM
The only reason I had any success was the great instructions at that link. My next goal is to get a set of alignment tapes and a meter so I can learn how to make all the alignment adjustments on a deck myself. I did some adjusting of the Denon's heads by ear and it certainly sounded improved to me, but I have no idea if it is truly accurate or not. I know the Nak is better sounding as is than after I worked adjusting the Denon for a while so I'm not touching anything until when or if I get the tools to actually make adjustments properly. I've also seen this process pretty thoroughly detailed at a couple websites.

But, ya know, if you'd like your Akai turned into a lovely paper weight, feel free to send it to me and I can take things apart and then not know how to put them back together.

The Akai is a GXC-730D. It's a chunky deck from the 70s w/vu meters. It's definitely a looker, but playback comes to a halt after 5-6 mins then picks back up after a restart. I downloaded the service manual from hifiengine but that's all I've done so far. Maybe one day I'll take it on as a project along with a Sansui AU-5900 integrated amp that gets noisey in one channel at times and have a nice vintage system again. I have a pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis One speaks that aren't "vintage" but they sure had a nice warm midrange with those pieces when they were working well. They're all serving as lovely paper weights at present.

nobody
03-22-2012, 10:17 AM
I do like the looks of those old meters. Sounds like you have the makings of a fun spare system there.

Enochrome
03-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Is a reel to reel next for ya Nobody? :ihih:

nobody
03-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Don't think I haven't been looking around at those...just haven't come across one cheap enough that I am confident enough will actually work a bit. I've come across a few from a local guy that were supposed to have been refurbished and set up to listen to before buying, but I've not been willing to couch up $2-300 for something like that.

02audionoob
03-23-2012, 03:07 PM
I have a Luxman cassette deck in my Marantz/Dual system. I still play a cassette every now and then.