Anyone listen to CD's by Cream &/or Free? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listen to CD's by Cream &/or Free?

hershon
04-16-2004, 08:47 PM
I play remastered CD's by groups like The Cream and Free and the sound sucks on my
home theater system. Other CD's by other 60's/70's groups sound fine. Albeit, I have a cheap system, but if anyone else has remastered CD's by these groups, can you tell me if the sound sucks on your system too. If they sound good on them, please let me know what kind of system you have. I guess the ultimitate question is if a CD was recorded badly in the first place, will it still sound not so great on even a fantastic system?

cam
04-16-2004, 09:05 PM
I play remastered CD's by groups like The Cream and Free and the sound sucks on my
home theater system. Other CD's by other 60's/70's groups sound fine. Albeit, I have a cheap system, but if anyone else has remastered CD's by these groups, can you tell me if the sound sucks on your system too. If they sound good on them, please let me know what kind of system you have. I guess the ultimitate question is if a CD was recorded badly in the first place, will it still sound not so great on even a fantastic system?
Steve Millers Band greatest hits and Joe Walsh's greatest hits, old recordings, sound VERY GOOD on my system, Denon 1804, Paradigm Mon 7's, PW2200 Sub.

hershon
04-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I'm not asking what classic rock CD's sound good on your home stereo unit. I'm asking: 1. Do any classic rock recordings that were recorded in terms of sound, poorly, sound good on your system, 2. Do any CD's by Free or Cream which sound like crap on my system, sound good on your system, 3. Can crappy recorded CD's sound good on a great home stereo unit or will it always sound crap? If answer is yes to any of these, please let me know what system(s) you have.

Rhino
04-17-2004, 04:09 AM
Garbage in garbage out. If the recording is crap, and some old analog to digital recordings are, nothing will make it sound good. In fact, you could argue that the better the equipment the worse poorly remastered recordings will sound because good equipment is, at least in theory, more accurate.

I don't own any Cream or Free, but I do have a few old CDs I never listen to because they were so poorly remastered. That's too bad because the original vinyl recordings were excellent. .

hershon
04-17-2004, 04:25 AM
Thanks for your imput Rhino, what you said makes alot of sense. When I played the same CD's through my boombox they sounded alot better than through my sound systems. I just heard of a supposed great system called Orb Audio and supposidly, I'll find out in a few hours, theres a place that sells them in LA with or without a DVD receiver, What I'm going to do is bring the two CD's I was mentioning plus a third CD that sounds great on my stereo system by a 60's UK "acid Jazz" group called the Peddlers and hear how each one sounds like. If I don't see much of a positive difference, I'm just going to stick with the system I have. I haven't heard anyone say anything but great things about Orb. The problem is I can't get them used on EBAY and they're only sold new by the company for $699 for home theater speaker set and a few hundred more if I want a DVD receiver with it.
One interesting thing about the Peddlers CD which sounds great- I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that the group was just organ, bass, drums and lead vocals and thus each instrument sounds seperate and distinctive with a "big" type sound.

Garbage in garbage out. If the recording is crap, and some old analog to digital recordings are, nothing will make it sound good. In fact, you could argue that the better the equipment the worse poorly remastered recordings will sound because good equipment is, at least in theory, more accurate.

I don't own any Cream or Free, but I do have a few old CDs I never listen to because they were so poorly remastered. That's too bad because the original vinyl recordings were excellent. .