110-inch LCD from China [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 110-inch LCD from China

Smokey
03-17-2012, 06:17 PM
http://www.tcl.com/Public/upload/ckeditor/img/1331530116.jpg

TCL Corporation in China has has developed the world’s largest 110-inch 4K 3D LCD screen at the launching ceremony in Beijing on March 9th. This technology is named “China Star” and has made China the third country to have successfully developed high-end display technology, behind Japan and South Korea.

China Star technology utilizes the most-advanced specifications in China today including4xHD resolution 4Kx2K (4,096x2,160 pixels) panels, active 3D technology, multi-touch technology, intelligent and dynamic backlight technology and 92% NTSC color gamut.

Beside bold products, the company is also making some bold statements. At the ceremony, Gu Zhihua the director of the flat panel display center at Fudan University said that "China will replace Japan and South Korea as the world leader in TV display screens in terms of manufacturing and R&D in three to five years.”

We’re not sure if the company has plans to actually market these monsters or is just using them as a proof of technology demonstration.

More info:

The World (http://www.tcl.com/en.php/news/938.html)

GMichael
03-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Still too small.

bobsticks
03-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Nice post Smokester.

Every once in a while I'll check Alibaba, more to see what kinds of products are available. It's pretty clear that technology advances on the other side of the globe a bit quicker than on these shores. I saw a 37 inch 3D without the need for glasses advertised the other day.

Television, Television Products, Television Manufacturers, Television Suppliers and Exporters Directory (http://www.alibaba.com/Television_pid634)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Sorry, but I am not really impressed, even if they are. Panasonic showed a 152 inch 4K, 3D LCD set three years ago at CES. Second, LCD technology is done, as there is no money in it - hence no current research to improve the technology. Thirdly, China has a persistent habit of stealing other manufacturer's technology, especially those that have their products assembled there.

The Chinese have to do better than this if they want to compete on the world market in research and technology. Taking dated technology(or at least already covered technology) is not going to make them a world leader.

Smokey
03-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Thirdly, China has a persistent habit of stealing other manufacturer's technology, especially those that have their products assembled there.

If you really think about it, that is nothing new. Japan used to steal U.S. technology by sending their engineers to U.S. in 50/60s, improve and manufacture the product and sell it back to U.S. This time around is China that try to sell it cheaper.

GMichael
03-20-2012, 05:21 AM
If you really think about it, that is nothing new. Japan used to steal U.S. technology by sending their engineers to U.S. in 50/60s, improve and manufacture the product and sell it back to U.S. This time around is China that try to sell it cheaper.

China is up and coming. Maybe not there yet, but coming up fast on the outside for sure.
For years our Japan sources have been manufaturing in China. We are planning the same as well.

03-20-2012, 09:41 AM

Here is the difference Smoke. The Japanese were stealing current technology, and manufacturing products that could compete with current products. The Chinese have chosen technology that is already built out, and being discarded as a way to show their research and manufacturing prowess. Sorry, but that does not fly. If they had introduced a 103" OLED, then maybe we'd be talking about something here. But almost every manufacturer is pretty much closing their books on LCD technology, because there is no money in it.

lizard54
03-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I gotta be honest, I am a projector convert. Early projectors really could not compare to LCD and HDTV's but now they look great. We have had our Epson HD projector for almost a year with 6' x 10' screen that we built ourselves for no more than 150 bucks. The projector ran about $1300 but isn't that what we pay for a 50" LCD? The projector quality is amazing and blue-ray is just jaw dropping, and now they are getting ready to come out with 3D projectors, it's really a no brainer

03-28-2012, 12:36 PM
I gotta be honest, I am a projector convert. Early projectors really could not compare to LCD and HDTV's but now they look great. We have had our Epson HD projector for almost a year with 6' x 10' screen that we built ourselves for no more than 150 bucks. The projector ran about $1300 but isn't that what we pay for a 50" LCD? The projector quality is amazing and blue-ray is just jaw dropping, and now they are getting ready to come out with 3D projectors, it's really a no brainer

3D projectors have been out for two years at least.

lizard54
03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
3D projectors have been out for two years at least.

Yea I know, I wrote that wrong. :out:
Sorry bout that, what I really meant was that the next time our bulb blows we are most likely going to upgrade to a 3D printer Thanks for the correction kind Sir.

03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Yea I know, I wrote that wrong. :out:
Sorry bout that, what I really meant was that the next time our bulb blows we are most likely going to upgrade to a 3D printer Thanks for the correction kind Sir.

LOL...I know there are some cross eyed folks that don't like 3D. But I must say, it has been a great way to bring the family together for a big event in my house. BBQ, social interaction, with a finale of watching a 3D movie on a wall filling 180" screen(no dark picture here), with a state of the art sound system.

I just does not get any better than this....well maybe it does....A 200" screen maybe?

Smokey
03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
BBQ, social interaction, with a finale of watching a 3D movie on a wall filling 180" screen(no dark picture here), with a state of the art sound system.

I must admit that watching a movie on such a large screen give the movie another dimension that is missing from smaller size TVs. My brother who work for university, one time brought home a projector and we watched a movie on it.

Although the projector was SD and the source was from VHS tape, the sheer size of picture made the film so dramatic and fun to watch.