What great sounding vinyl records do you recommend? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What great sounding vinyl records do you recommend?

Demetrio
03-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi all, I am sorry for taking so long to post here at Rave Recordings, but I am back again.

I got tired of digital and my new obsession is analog audio now. I am trying to replace my CD collection for vinyl, and also trying to get new music on vinyl only, whenever there is availability on that media.

I’m just in the search for great sounding vinyl records at the moment, so I had the idea of posting this thread here. Whenever possible, please give some more additional information about the pressing / label of the record you are recommending.

And while I mean to get recommendations from your posts, I will also offer my own list of records I consider that sound great, so I will start with these:

=> DAVE GRUSIN & LEE RITENOUR – Harlequin (GRP – US)

=> DAVE GRUSIN – Out of the Shadows (JVC – Japan)

=> TERJE RYPDAL – Descendre (ECM)

=> XTC – Nonsuch (Virgin – UK)

=> ROXY MUSIC – Avalon (EG - UK)

=> STEELY DAN – Gaucho (MCA – UK)

=> DONALD ****EN - The Nightfly (Warner – US)

=> SUPERTRAMP - Crime of the Century (Speakers Corner)

=> PINK FLOYD – Dark Side of the Moon (EMI – 2003 Remaster)

=> AL STEWART – Year of the Cat (RCA – UK)

=> BRYAN FERRY – Bκte Noire (Reprise – US)

=> DIRE STRAITS - Brothers in Arms (Warner – US)

=> THOMAS DOLBY – The Flat Earth (Parlophone – UK)

=> MICHAEL SHRIEVE – The Big Picture (Fortuna – Germany)

=> MICHAEL SHRIEVE – Stiletto (Novus – US)

=> BLUE NILE – Hats (Linn Records – UK)

=> BLUE NILE – A Walk Across the Rooftops (Linn Records – UK)

=> GO WEST – Dancing on the Couch (Chrysalis – US)

=> JAKSZYK, FRIPP & COLLINS – A Scarcity of Miracles (DGM – UK)

=> PORCUPINE TREE – Lightbulb Sun (Tonefloat)

=> PORCUPINE TREE – In Absentia (Tonefloat)

=> 10CC – Deceptive Bends (Mercury – Japan)

=> URIAH HEEP – Demons and Wizards (Mercury – US)

=> SEBASTIAN HARDIE – Four Moments (Mercury – US)

=> BEGGARS OPERA – Waters of Change (Vertigo – Netherlands)

=> ESPERANTO – Last Tango (A&M Records – US)

=> YES – The Ladder (Eagle Records)

=> ARGENT – Ring of Hands (Epic – US)

Your suggestions are all very welcome.

Demetrio.

Jack in Wilmington
03-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Hey Demetrio, welcome back my friend. I to am just getting back into vinyl and I see from your list that you like Steely Dan. I have an excellent recording of Aja on Cisco records. It was pressed on 180 gram vinyl. It says on the back Limited Edition and there is a serial number. All my vinyl is either 180 or 200 gram that is why I don't have that many. Anyway welcome back, it's always good to see an old face.

MasterCylinder
03-13-2012, 04:02 AM
All advice I can offer is the cliche MFSL albums; three others I had in mind you already have in your list. I have a Japanese pressing of HOUSES OF THE HOLY that is very good also.
It has been so long since I messed with vinyl, I am out of the loop.

BarryL
03-13-2012, 05:27 AM
and also trying to get new music on vinyl only, whenever there is availability on that media.

Welcome Back my Friend....

All I have is old run-of-the-mill vinyl that used to cost $3.99 - $5.99, the kind that was often warped and you had to take them back to the record store for another copy.

Sometimes they even put them on the turntable to make sure they were warped!

Oh those were the days, my friends, I thought they'd never end!

Hope new vinyl is better.

Demetrio
03-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Hope new vinyl is better.

Hey, big Barry, I'm always glad to hear from you.

I consider myself a newbie to analog audio, but from the little experiente I have with vinyl, I can say that, with some very few exceptions, old vinyl sounds usually well better than new vinyl.

Best regards,
Demetrio.

ForeverAutumn
03-13-2012, 05:59 AM
Welcome back D!

I have nothing to add to this thread. I am mostly of the CD generation. I just wanted to say 'welcome back'.

:)

Demetrio
03-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Welcome back D!

I have nothing to add to this thread. I am mostly of the CD generation. I just wanted to say 'welcome back'.

:)

Thank you, FA. Always so glad to hear from you too.

Cheers,
Demetrio.

richmon
03-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Long time no see, good to have you back.

I've also been getting back into vinyl over the last two years, it helps alot to have a cheap source for the black beautys, I've got three different shops and a record show real close and cheap. The best sounding MFSL lp I've heard is 'Days of future passed' by the Moody Blues, in general all the MSFL discs sound terrific, Wish You were Here, Dark Side of the moon are other standouts.

All the Alan Parsons, the first two Mannheim Steamroller Fresh Aire and John Mayall 'the turning point' come to mind for well recorded LP's. Everything on the Telarc and Windham Hill labels.

Davey
03-13-2012, 01:08 PM
If you can download and play 24-96 flacs, here's some samples of a few pretty good sounding LP rips I listened to just recently ... none of the rips are mine, and I think there are 3 different people and rigs involved, but I do have 3 of the 4 records in the same or similar versions. FYI, there's an amazing collection of rippers with some very nice rigs and some very cool vinyl all operating under one site now. It's almost like a competition, partially funded by contributions, but mostly just a love of vinyl and good sound. PM me if you aren't yet a member of the place and I'll get you the address. If nothing else, it will turn you on to some great sounding vinyl you can then track down.

Energy Fools the Magician from Brian Eno - Before and After Science (UK Original 1977)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22278349/Energy%20fools%20the%20Magician.flac

Atrocity Exhibition from Joy Division - Closer (UK Original 1980)
http://dl-dropbox.com/u/22278349/Atrocity%20Exhibition.flac

Over the Hills and Far Away from Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (Classic Records 45 RPM)
http://dl-dropbox.com/u/22278349/Over%20The%20Hills%20And%20Far%20Away.flac

Somewhat Damaged from Nine Inch Nails (UK Original 1999)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22278349/Somewhat%20Damaged.flac

sneakyimp
03-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (this one is amazing, my father used to listen to it really loud)
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Deep Purple - Machine Head

jonnyhambone
03-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (this one is amazing, my father used to listen to it really loud)
- esp. if you can pick up the newly remastered/cut 45rpm release that Steve Hoffman/Kevin Grey put together last year. It is a gorgeous sounding lp - I only wish they had done this kind of job on Tusk - a vastly more interesting album in my opinion.
Also, the Beck - Sea Changes lp from MFSL is top-notch! By far, the best sounding lp I own and one that's filled with great music that is subtle, beautiful, and dymamic - to really show off just about any system.