Bob Carver debuts his Amazing Line Source speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bob Carver debuts his Amazing Line Source speaker

cjpremierfour
03-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about Bob Carver's Debut of his $22,000 Amazing Line Source speakers at Jacksonville's Axpona?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I have seen the pre-production model, and read the spec's. All I can do is say wow this is going to be something!

E-Stat
03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about Bob Carver's Debut of his $22,000 Amazing Line Source speakers at Jacksonville's Axpona?
It's another variation on the Pipedreams / Scaena design with 35 drivers in an unusual triangular enclosure. I've spent a fair amount of time listening to a friend's very well driven Scaena 1.4s.

Specs (http://www.avguide.com/article/bob-carver-introduce-amazing-line-source-speaker-axpona-2012)

Cabinet drawings (http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=14782&sid=429a66e36f46775ea0ea9e799acae1e5)

I confess I've always preferred line sources (preferably full range) since I heard T-IIIs back in '74. Only with them do I find a lifelike rendering of image size.

Recently heard the new KEF Blade in SFO. Coherent, yes. Tiny image. With eyes closed, you could point right the speakers.

bobsticks
03-12-2012, 11:40 AM
I confess I've always preferred line sources (preferably full range) since I heard T-IIIs back in '74. Only with them do I find a lifelike rendering of image size.

Recently heard the new KEF Blade in SFO. Coherent, yes. Tiny image. With eyes closed, you could point right the speakers.

E-Stat, were the Muons present and, if so, what were your impressions?

E-Stat
03-12-2012, 11:43 AM
E-Stat, were the Muons present and, if so, what were your impressions?
No. My guess is they would have traded some coherency for image size. I find that large MTM designs image more like tall line sources.

That same friend had Nola Grand References for quite a while. They were more like the Muons in design although they used ribbon tweeters and had separate woofer towers.

Worf101
03-13-2012, 06:00 AM
Is it "quantum singularity" based like Romulan tech, Dilithium Crystals or Fusion with a Flux Capacitor?

Actually a very interesting design, but speakers are for listening first and looking second, unless your co-habitating, then ALL bets are off.

Worf

RGA
03-14-2012, 06:26 PM
here they are

2012 AXPONA Coverage, Part I: House of Stereo/Ayre/Oracle/KEF/Audience, Martin Logan/Krell, Legacy/Ayon/Coda, Bob Carver/Purity Audio Design, Audio Power Labs/Tidal, Beauty of Sound/Ikeda/Tubeguru/Bastanis/Mapleshade, MBL - Event Reports - Dagogo (http://dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?bShowUnpublished=&hArticle=1009&PageOfArticle=1)

"he shared his thoughts regarding the superiority of vacuum tube amplification."

Bob has a clue.

hifitommy
03-24-2012, 10:52 AM
e-stat,

i never thought of the amazings as similar to pipedreams. i DO like line source spks, maggies, monitors (LS3/5As and s3/5s-had the 5As once and own the spendors as well as MMGs). i know maggies arent line sources but do have a top to bottom ribbon tweeter.

the gilmore speaker was a derivative of the amazing and i for one am sorry it didnt proliferate. never heard them but would love to do so.

the old infinity top line speaks were lines and fine at that. just too much money.