Sears will not price match Walmart or Target stores [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sears will not price match Walmart or Target stores

Smokey
03-08-2012, 01:56 PM
My friend went to Sears couple of days ago to buy a TV since Walmart was out of stock of same LCD at lower price, and they told him they will not match Walmart or Target stores on electronic items.

That is kind of strange since they use to price match other local stores if they have same item on sale. Given that Sears usually have pretty good weekly sale on electronic items themselves, find it odd that they won't price match sales from other stores to bring in the customers.

And add 15% restocking fee on return items, and one will see why Sears parking lot is half empty most of time.

BadAssJazz
03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Actually, it makes sense. Sears and Wal-Mart are not the same tier of retail store.

Stores like Wal-Mart, Target, and Kmart (which was owned by Sears' parent company at one point) all occupy the same retail rung. They are considered "superstores", which offer a wide variety of product lines/types (i.e., clothes, groceries, tools, home decor, jewelry, etc., etc.) with an aim of rapidly turning over massive inventories, while keeping operating costs low. Ultimately, this business model typically leads to pricing structures that are lower than what a Sears or a JcPenney can offer normally.

Tell your friend to go to Sears' baby brother, the nearest Kmart store to see if they have the same TV. I don't know if they have a price matching policy, but worth a shot? (I've never been a customer of Kmart or WalMart... or even a regular customer of Sears or Target since I was a college student some 20+ years ago...so I have no idea what their policies are now.)

Good luck!

Smokey
03-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Stores like Wal-Mart, Target, and Kmart (which was owned by Sears' parent company at one point) all occupy the same retail rung. They are considered "superstores", which offer a wide variety of product lines/types (i.e., clothes, groceries, tools, home decor, jewelry, etc., etc.) with an aim of rapidly turning over massive inventories, while keeping operating costs low. Ultimately, this business model typically leads to pricing structures that are lower than what a Sears or a JcPenney can offer normally.

Those are good points. I also have noticed that Walmart inventory seem to be more dynamic than other stores where they get a large shipment of a product and sell it at cut throat price and once it is gone, it is gone. Where Sears have more structured inventory.

Sears used to be a place where you could haggle over the price. But since they imposed 15% restocking fee, they fell off many buyers radar.

Jack in Wilmington
03-09-2012, 06:53 PM
I'll say one thing for Wal-Mart and Target. They have the best prices on groceries. If you're not shopping there, you're paying too much. I shop around for most of my purchases and check prices before I buy.

Smokey
03-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I'll say one thing for Wal-Mart and Target. They have the best prices on groceries.

I find Kroger cheaper, especially if you go with their own brand which is as good as national brands...if not better.

Jack in Wilmington
03-11-2012, 06:23 AM
I find Kroger cheaper, especially if you go with their own brand which is as good as national brands...if not better.

We don't have Kroger up here. We do run into them when we go on vacation. I'll admit that we buy more name brand items than store brand. As an example if we buy Wheat Chex at the grocery store it's $4.49, at Target $3.04. Now Target doesn't have all the choices that the grocery stores have, but if you know what they have and you go there with a list of those items, you save.

But I am going to see if Sears will price match. I'm in the market for a stand for my miter saw. Home Depot and Lowes have a DeWalt for $199. Sears has it for $219. I'm going to print out both the Home Depot and Lowe's ad and take it to Sears and see what they say. I just bought a Whirlpool dishwasher at Lowes. Sears had it for the same price, but I bought it at Lowes cause they had it in stock at the store and Sears would take 3 days to get it in.

lizard54
03-27-2012, 08:49 AM
I never heard of Sears offering a price match option, we went in there once or twice but never actually bought anything because we found them to be pricey, but since they are a department store it would make sense that they have to keep product costs higher to make profits. As for the grocery subject, if you have an Aldi nearby they are the best and cheapest place around I am talking like a dozen eggs for 49cents cheap, they sell only generic brands and you have to either use boxes or buy bags but that is how they can extend such great savings to customers.

johnmax
04-02-2019, 08:00 AM
That's true these things also see on sears...

Usually this kind of home decor items i buy from this www.shoppingideausa.com

rondello
08-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Sears still offering price match-- www.sears.com/en_us/customer-service/policies/price-match-policy.html