Marantz, Creek, or some other amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz, Creek, or some other amp

lindalou
03-08-2012, 09:07 AM
I have an opportunity to buy one of the following: a Marantz SR7400 for $275 (or less, if I can talk him down) or a Creek CAS 4140 for $150 from an audio store. The guy at the audio store says Marantz isn't what they used to be. I don't have home theater, am buying this to listen to classical music and the radio (with other genres thrown into the mix, of course). What would be your recommendation?

The longer story is: My tuner/receiver is dying because I hooked my Zune up to it. The zune required too much power, and my receiver is nearly dead.

So, I am looking to upgrade, preferably by buying used equipment. I don't know much about stereo equipment, but I have an audiophile's ear, so would appreciate good guidance. My budget is extremely low. I am looking on ebay and craigslist.

I heard a new, $4000 Marantz amp and was completely blown away. I would like to approach that as much as possible. (It was the amp, not the speakers--heard an onkyo on same speakers, and it was a big "So what.") So, I keep looking toward Marantz. I like warm sound, bass, cannot stand speakers that are in the high range, which most seem to be. I listen mostly to classical music.

If I buy a used amp, does it need to be refurbished in any way? Do they wear out? How much does refurbishing cost?

Given the zune problem, should I buy a pre-amp? Also, will I be able to hook my zune up to older amps? Will the zune wear out a pre-amp, too?

I would sincerely appreciate recommmendations on brands and models.

blackraven
03-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Enochrome
03-08-2012, 10:57 AM
I actually recommended that Creek to a friend of mine who's Music Hall integrated was going caput. He bought it off of Audiogon for more than that (225 i think) and he loves it. After hearing it I was really impressed, I even like the looks. The sound is reserved but with plenty of detail and dynamics; classic british sound. The 4140 is highly revered and the rest in that series. Most people, including my tech, consider the 4xxx series to be Creeks last great killer gear before their design got overly complicated and production moved over seas. I highly recommend. Even if breaks down in a couple of years, you'll still be in the realm of a great cost vs. performance after spending the money to get it fixed. Remember that series was designed in a minimal fashion so there is less to break down and cheaper to fix; less is more.

If you do Marantz, I would go with a PM5004: better build and more straight forward purpose. Also, look at the NAD 326BEE or an older cheaper 316BEE.

Hope this helps.

blackraven
03-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Here is how you can hook your Zune up-

I need to hook up my zune to my panasonic SC-AK640 stereo. is this possible? if so, how? - Yahoo! Answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070807181203AADRDCt)

Zune How-To: Connect your Zune to your home stereo - without the AV kit accessory. From Zunerama. (http://www.zunerama.com/zune-how-to-connect-your-zune-to-your-home-stereo.php)

Mr Peabody
03-14-2012, 05:14 PM
I also vote for the Creek, especially if you don't listen loudly. Plus you can listen to it to see if you like it.

frenchmon
03-15-2012, 08:17 AM
I never heard any Creek gear, but I have an older Marantz home theater amp...SR5500 and it sounds great in direct mode. Nothing wrong with that Marantz sound quality.

frenchmon
03-15-2012, 08:20 AM
I also vote for the Creek, especially if you don't listen loudly. Plus you can listen to it to see if you like it.

What good is it if you cant listen to it loud????